Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

There is a huge difference between someone on a hook and a rapper actually doing a guest verse.

On his albums he is not over the top with actual guest verses.

Most rappers suck at hooks. 50 himself sucked at them before JMJ helped him out.

Whereas 50 learned to write good hooks and went on to be very very very well known, Game did not and went on to just rap and was therefore less successful. I see no problem with a rapper getting a singer or another rapper for a hook, why do your own hooks if you are bad at them? (even with practice he would likely never be good on a hook it is not his style)

well its been what 7 years , thats time enough to learn how. you talk about game improving as a rapper when iv just gave you a perfect reason why he isnt but you make yet another excuse for him for not learning how to make a hook (its not his style) come on man anyone can learn and improve.

and yes you are a more complete rapper if you can do your own hooks, the hook is a very important structure of any song its what can make or break it. My whole argument has been game is reliant on other artists to make music, you have argued against it, you've just proved me right.

im finished on it, thats all i was saying mate.:)
    I see no problem with a rapper getting a singer or another rapper for a hook, why do your own hooks if you are bad at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

No, there have been rappers around for 20+ years who just don't do hooks, that is just not what they do it is not a defect nor does it make them any less of an artist it is just one aspect they lack.

He is a rapper, not a rapper and a r&b artist, not that there is anything wrong with being that.

No, there have been rappers around for 20+ years who just don't do hooks, that is just not what they do it is not a defect nor does it make them any less of an artist it is just one aspect they lack.

He is a rapper, not a rapper and a r&b artist, not that there is anything wrong with being that.

whatever buddy, id have better chance of getting blood from a stone than trying to convince you that game needs ft's for verses and hooks even when its right in front of you.

im not commenting anymore on it.:)

whatever buddy, id have better chance of getting blood from a stone than trying to convince you that game needs ft's for verses and hooks even when its right in front of you.

im not commenting anymore on it.:)

He needs it for hooks, like 1000's of other rappers. For verses though he does not have any more than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just read that Killer Mike and Big Boi are going to be releasing an album together.

Absolutely brilliant news. Anything with Big Boi is great but with Mike added in it should be even better. Their track on Speakerboxxx was quite good. It should definitely be one of the better collabs this year if it gets released before then.
    “I’m looking forward to going back and forth with Big a whole record. Like people always like the collaborations we did,” Killer Mike explained. “And I’m not talking about the ‘Whole World’ stuff you know, the ‘A.D.I.D.A.S.’ I’m talking about ‘Bust.’ You know what I mean? Snapping and trapping. When it’s just me and him, just two pitbulls going at a bone.”

“So I’m looking forward to going 12 songs back and forth. And I’mma just tell ya’ll like my whole inspiration is that pimp, playa Big Boi ****. The beats I’m picking and bringing to it man, this gonna be some of that slum, drum Cadillac music. Believe that.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I just got round to Emcee Jermaine's album - Jermaine's EP.

Absolutely loved it. Simple, smart lyrics. No bull****.

You can listen to it hear:

http://soundcloud.com/diamondmedia360/sets/emcee-jermaine-jermaines-ep-1

It's great. I bought it on iTunes a few months ago. Best €4 I've ever spent. Everything about it is brilliant, especially the title.

He's working on his album at the moment. He's hoping for an autumn release. Twitter is great for finding out things about underground artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's great. I bought it on iTunes a few months ago. Best €4 I've ever spent. Everything about it is brilliant, especially the title.

He's working on his album at the moment. He's hoping for an autumn release. Twitter is great for finding out things about underground artists.

€3 now. I followed him on Twitter. He's on just over 500 followers, which is kinda depressing. He deserves much more.

Eagerly awaiting that album now. I've listened to the EP twice today. PRobably give it another go later too!

"New" Jay Elec. I've used the inverted commas because he first previewed this track way back in '09 I think. Now he's finally released the CDQ version. A sure sign that his album is not far off. Of course for Electronica that means that we'll be lucky if we see it before 2013.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    €3 now. I followed him on Twitter. He's on just over 500 followers, which is kinda depressing. He deserves much more.

Eagerly awaiting that album now. I've listened to the EP twice today. PRobably give it another go later too!

The great thing about that is that he writes back to you. I've had a few replies from him to things. He seems like a real nice guy. Doesn't curse in his songs at all. He doesn't feel the need to at all.

I've got really high hopes for his album. Not in commercial sales sense, but definitely quality wise. His song "Gone In 60 Seconds: Part I" is only one verse long and it's better than an awful lot of the stuff that I've heard, and especially the majority of the chart songs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

promo video for the new Aesop Rock album:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

New Macklemore video from the XXL 2012 Freshman Mixtape.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Promo video for El-P's Cancer For The Cure (C4C) album

The stonk of the beat in the video is ridiculous.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

New J Cole video

Blow brains, kobain is the most overused line in hip-hop. Some exceptions with clever uses like K Lamar but the bland use in the above song is borderline lazy and annoying.

Throw flames, Liu Kang is only slightly better and slightly less played out.

so many duds on that album, my biggest letdown of last year. Way too commercial, honestly taught it was going to be like his mixtapes. Didnt want to see the likes of drake on it.

not even a fan of that song tbh, much rather see him putting out a video for rise and shine or breakdown.

beat on rise and shine is crazy and breakdown is from the same kind of mold as his mixtape stuff just a real song with a great story behind it.
    the sh*t these rappers kick is nothing like real life, you made a milli of selling that hard white, ye right. my mama tell ya what addicted to that crack pipe feel like

seriously think thats a shot at rick ross, subliminal yes but very witty and he is talking about a rapper so rick ross fits the description perfect imo.

Liking those two songs, especially the beats and the second song.

http://rapgenius.com/J-cole-breakdown-lyrics - seems it might be a shot at the candy floss Bawse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

new Rap Pop single from B.o.B
    i like B.o.B's verses
    the hook is so sh1t though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BREDNEP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Advertisement

Sene's new album brooklynknight is coming later in April. really looking forward to this one

Weirdest sample ever.

Weirdest sample ever.

ye, i say its kind of a love it or hate it thing.

It is just odd, I am not sure what to think of it tbh. Pretty good beat, just odd.

It is just odd, I am not sure what to think of it tbh. Pretty good beat, just odd.

i like it, nothing spectacular by any means though. i will have forgotten about it in a few days tbh no replay value imo.

Ye the lyrics were instantly forgettable, and if not for the sample I would have forgotten about the beat too.

Decent enough song in general though.

Kurrupt and Daz have changed so much in the past 20 years though, thier voices, delivery and subject matter have all changed. in my opinion, not for the better. They have both slipped alot, perhaps with a few high points along the way.
    Perhaps Dre and exec producer will pull a decent project together and cut out some of the sh*te.

Just remeber that being exec producer is a different story to producing songs on an album.
    i think that the RZA and his brother still get exec producer credits on Wu affiliate albums that they have not touched.

Oh, that A$AP track is corny as hell. Did he honestly go into a studio, hear that beat and think that it's straight fire? That has radio play and royalties written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, as much as I'd love a DPG reunion with Dre on board, just too much time has passed. Not liking any of the tracks Dre is releasing and last few kurup and daz albums have been poor. Lets hope they can get back to that 90's G Funk gangsta sh*t and make some classics!

Advertisement