Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

PROTIP: Results are usually up earlier than 2. Will be checkin from 1 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Yes .... Good luck everyone .. check em early avoid the rush :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Opinicus wrote: »
    PROTIP: Results are usually up earlier than 2. Will be checkin from 1 onwards.

Yep, Results out since 1.10pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

BOOM.
    First year passed, I was fully certain that I had failed Java but passed everything quite comfortably.

siblers wrote: »
    BOOM.
    First year passed, I was fully certain that I had failed Java but passed everything quite comfortably.

Same as myself. Did better in OOP than I thought so VERY happy :)

• Advertisement

Well done all , and may I add WOOHOO

did well in everything exceeded expectations in OOP1 had a good mark going in and improved on it so thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Job done. Roll on next one.

4th year here I come!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Computing with Multimedia Year 3. Done!

Computing with Multimedia Year 3. Done!

How are Years 2 + 3 ? I've just finished 1st year anything to watch out for/especially difficult ... what are projects like am VERY curious

• Advertisement

JFlah wrote: »
    How are Years 2 + 3 ? I've just finished 1st year anything to watch out for/especially difficult ... what are projects like am VERY curious

Right.

Year 2: Sem1
    Database Concepts
    Tough to endure but kinda needed.

Multimedia Design and Development
    One of the fun ones from a design point of view.

Networking Fundamentals
    Another tough one theory wise, calculating subnets etc. Depends on the lecturer for this. Do need to understand most of this, but CA's and finals are multiple choice most of the time.

Object Oriented Programming 2
    Java.. What to say here. I always struggled to understand it. Best way to improve at it is the hands on approach and google!. This is probably the most important as its needed for the next 2/3 years.

Structured Analysis and Design

Coffee will be needed. But this and Database Concepts are linked with CP1 next semester. So try and get your head around it all.

Year 2: Sem2
    Animation in 2D
    Have a bit of fun with it. It's not too hard. I enjoyed it.

Computing Project 1
    This is the 1st project you get, based on what you do in SAD and DB in Sem1. Its mainly Add, Amend and Delete. So base it on a booking system like DVD rentals, Hotel Booking. IIRC this is done in Visual Basic using Visual Studio, but cant remember 100%. This will seem hard now but in 3rd year will seem like a walk in the park.

Digital Audio
    Annoyingly tough this one theory wise. All about acoustics of sound and speakers, microphones etc. Upside is you get to edit and play around with music. This is project based and the CA is theory only.

Object Oriented Programming 3
    More Java, Getting down to the stuff where you know the basics off by heart and it flows naturally. The problem solving bit is still not so easy i struggled but it can be done. Always ask for help when your stuck, because you'll proably get the same problem again at some point.

Routing Concepts and Protocols

Like all the other routing, networking modules. Just adding more in. Quite simple compared to other modules. CA's are open book. Finals are theory. So know your Theory!

Year 3: Sem1
    Interactive Web Media
    This is a bit annoying at times regarding errors. You use Flash for this and you create a game at the end, like asteroids. 95% of the code is given over the weeks, All you do at the end is tweak and get scoreboards working and change the game a bit.

Introduction to Database Programming
    SQL, Oracle. I enjoyed this strangely. More programming but database programming. You write tables, Triggers, Procedures etc. to carry out certain tasks. This is sort of project based. with individual parts for each member. Again with the Coffee though. You'll know what i mean tongue.gif

LAN Switching and Wireless
    Like all the others again. Networking. Gets easier as you go on. CA's are open book. Finals are theory which are hard but easily studied for.

Object Oriented Analysis and Design
    Suicidal module. Hardest module out of the lot. Purely because of the lecturer. You'll end up learning a new language from scratch (C#) and You'll be expected to know it very well. Its frustrating and some people failed this. So expect the worse and whatever happens won't seem so bad. And Goodluck!

Object Oriented Programming 4

The last OOP module. Involves more java and more problem sovling. You'll 100% need to have a good understanding of this. for next semesters project.

Year 3: Sem2
    3D Animation
    Bit hard to get used to the software used here (3DS Max). Follow the tutorials provided and you cant go far wrong. When your finding a model or creating one, Always pose them with their arms and legs like THIS. Makes life so much easier.

Advanced Database Programming
    Same as the intro one only more to it, including Loops and Cursors. These are hard and this module is hard. So study and a good understanding will be needed.

Computing Project 2
    Ahh.. The Biggie for 3rd year.Pick a language. I picked Java with SQL, This is such a hard project. To pass this your program will need an algorithm. So say a booking program. Somebody selects a date and time to stay in a hotel, Your program should grab these dates and times, check they are free, if they arent free find a time and date that is free and offer that to the user. Something along those lines. Use your supervisor as much as you can but they will insist its you who has to find out. Google will be exhausted once your finished. biggrin.gif

WAN Services & Security
    Another routing/NEtworking one same as the last few modules. Not so bad at all.

Digital Video Production

A fun one, playing about with cameras, Create a movie and edit it. Simple as!.

Thats 2nd and 3rd year in a nutshell. All of the above is based on my own opinion so take from it what you want.

Any more questions just ask.

Right.

Year 2: Sem1
    Database Concepts
    Tough to endure but kinda needed.

Multimedia Design and Development
    One of the fun ones from a design point of view.

Networking Fundamentals
    Another tough one theory wise, calculating subnets etc. Depends on the lecturer for this. Do need to understand most of this, but CA's and finals are multiple choice most of the time.

Object Oriented Programming 2
    Java.. What to say here. I always struggled to understand it. Best way to improve at it is the hands on approach and google!. This is probably the most important as its needed for the next 2/3 years.

Structured Analysis and Design

Coffee will be needed. But this and Database Concepts are linked with CP1 next semester. So try and get your head around it all.

Year 2: Sem2
    Animation in 2D
    Have a bit of fun with it. It's not too hard. I enjoyed it.

Computing Project 1
    This is the 1st project you get, based on what you do in SAD and DB in Sem1. Its mainly Add, Amend and Delete. So base it on a booking system like DVD rentals, Hotel Booking. IIRC this is done in Visual Basic using Visual Studio, but cant remember 100%. This will seem hard now but in 3rd year will seem like a walk in the park.

Digital Audio
    Annoyingly tough this one theory wise. All about acoustics of sound and speakers, microphones etc. Upside is you get to edit and play around with music. This is project based and the CA is theory only.

Object Oriented Programming 3
    More Java, Getting down to the stuff where you know the basics off by heart and it flows naturally. The problem solving bit is still not so easy i struggled but it can be done. Always ask for help when your stuck, because you'll proably get the same problem again at some point.

Routing Concepts and Protocols

Like all the other routing, networking modules. Just adding more in. Quite simple compared to other modules. CA's are open book. Finals are theory. So know your Theory!

Year 3: Sem1
    Interactive Web Media
    This is a bit annoying at times regarding errors. You use Flash for this and you create a game at the end, like asteroids. 95% of the code is given over the weeks, All you do at the end is tweak and get scoreboards working and change the game a bit.

Introduction to Database Programming
    SQL, Oracle. I enjoyed this strangely. More programming but database programming. You write tables, Triggers, Procedures etc. to carry out certain tasks. This is sort of project based. with individual parts for each member. Again with the Coffee though. You'll know what i mean tongue.gif

LAN Switching and Wireless
    Like all the others again. Networking. Gets easier as you go on. CA's are open book. Finals are theory which are hard but easily studied for.

Suicidal module. Hardest module out of the lot. Purely because of the lecturer. You'll end up learning a new language from scratch (C#) and You'll be expected to know it very well. Its frustrating and some people failed this. So expect the worse and whatever happens won't seem so bad. And Goodluck!

Object Oriented Programming 4

The last OOP module. Involves more java and more problem sovling. You'll 100% need to have a good understanding of this. for next semesters project.

Year 3: Sem2
    3D Animation
    Bit hard to get used to the software used here (3DS Max). Follow the tutorials provided and you cant go far wrong. When your finding a model or creating one, Always pose them with their arms and legs like THIS. Makes life so much easier.

Advanced Database Programming
    Same as the intro one only more to it, including Loops and Cursors. These are hard and this module is hard. So study and a good understanding will be needed.

Computing Project 2
    Ahh.. The Biggie for 3rd year.Pick a language. I picked Java with SQL, This is such a hard project. To pass this your program will need an algorithm. So say a booking program. Somebody selects a date and time to stay in a hotel, Your program should grab these dates and times, check they are free, if they arent free find a time and date that is free and offer that to the user. Something along those lines. Use your supervisor as much as you can but they will insist its you who has to find out. Google will be exhausted once your finished. biggrin.gif

WAN Services & Security
    Another routing/NEtworking one same as the last few modules. Not so bad at all.

Digital Video Production

A fun one, playing about with cameras, Create a movie and edit it. Simple as!.

Thats 2nd and 3rd year in a nutshell. All of the above is based on my own opinion so take from it what you want.

Any more questions just ask.

Legend , ty VERY much, brilliantly helpful info, it's nice to get an idea from a students perspective , I'll start stocking up on coffee now !!

Are there many presentations during 2nd and 3rd year or is it only with the 3rd year project?

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated

JFlah wrote: »
    Legend , ty VERY much, brilliantly helpful info, it's nice to get an idea from a students perspective , I'll start stocking up on coffee now !!

I've never drank coffee in my life but may start tasting it over the holidays as I may need it :D

^ Good post

Had planned on replying last night but ended up losing everything :o so gave up as I was exhausted.

But just to add to 2nd year Databases, if you can practice SQL queries and get your head around them then you should be away with it. Reason Im saying this is they form a huge percentage (as in marks) of the overall module. You will probally see it on a written CA, a Lab CA and the FE. So even if you cant swallow the theory (which is mindnumbing at best) you can still do well.
    some tutorials http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Structured Analysis and Design (aka SAD, for a very good reason) is a fairly time consuming module. You will have a project (design some sort of system i.e a booking or rental system, no coding just designing). On top of that there is a block of theory to swallow aswell, so this is another one you will have to watch. But I think if you do well enough in the project you can pretty much pass the module (apart from that 30% rule).
    As mentioned above if you are MM then you will be coding your design as part of the sem2 project.

Everything else was grand as I rememeber, java is moving away from using tutorial style lab sheets to working on your own initative using the API which is pretty much how it works in industry.

Networking ... yeah more theory but also involving practicals. I found it interesting, its not everyones cup of coffee.

Overall, y2 semester 1 is tough, no point trying to sugar coat it, but work at it and you will be fine. Semester 2 should be alot more relaxed with more laid back modules.

AntiRip wrote: »
    Are there many presentations during 2nd and 3rd year or is it only with the 3rd year project?

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated

There isnt many presentations at all, just the projects and th ocassional module but the ones you do have are only with 2/3 lecturers. So its not that bad at all.

I would agree here that this module is pretty much sink or swim. It's the first module where you really have to use your initiative and think for yourself, teamwork is also a major part of this module. Help is there if you need it but the lecturer doesn't babysit you. What I imagine the real world is like :D

Anyone doing games will be well up on C# already so if you're having problems maybe bend one of their ears. That said, you'll realise it's really not that different from Java (for the little things we use it for anyway).

I would agree here that this module is pretty much sink or swim. It's the first module where you really have to use your initiative and think for yourself, teamwork is also a major part of this module. Help is there if you need it but the lecturer doesn't babysit you. What I imagine the real world is like :D

Anyone doing games will be well up on C# already so if you're having problems maybe bend one of their ears. That said, you'll realise it's really not that different from Java (for the little things we use it for anyway).

Yep, we are the experts :D
    Console.WriteLine("Hello World");

I thought it was going to be downhill from here on, you are scaring me now :D

Are you going into 3rd year Sintel?

yes :D

• Advertisement

PM'd :cool:

Question about the electives to the guys in 3-4 year. Just going into 2nd year MM myself so don't have to pick electives until semester 4.

The choices are quite scary as none of them really relate (I think) to the course so none of them really interest me.

Have you guys any advice/experience to the ones you did/enjoyed/regretted as I don't want to be picking electives (Eeny meeny miny mo style) and then regretting it because of lack of interest or eating too much time from the core subjects.

In Sem4 the electives are Community Service Initiative 1 (What! :)), Creative thinking, Environmental & Earth Science, German, Spanish, Intercultural Communication and Personal Financial Planning.

In Sem 5 the electives are Anglo Irish Literature, Eco-Tourism, Entrepreneurship, Psychology, Nutrition, Taxation, Political Studies and Personal Financial Needs and Products.

At least in Sem 7 the electives are all computer based subjects like Video Motion, Mobile Technology, etc.

AntiRip wrote: »
    none of them really relate (I think) to the course

That's the whole point of electives, they are there to give you a chance to broaden your education and learn things which would not normally be part of your course. Didn't make any sense to me either until one of the lecturers said it.

I did Intercultural Communication myself, it's a good subject, not too taxing time wise, you get to meet a lot of Erasmus students and you learn a lot about other cultures and some differences and similarities between cultures. We had Peter Van De Kamp for it and he was sound. One exam and one project.

Personal Financial Planning was also very popular, and I think that the Games guys might have had to do Creative Thinking.

In sem 5 I did Personal Taxation which I found not to be too taxing! (sorry). The maths side of it is not terribly difficult and you learn a lot about the tax system which will be very beneficial if you end up self-employed and if PAYE then at least you know how your tax is calculated and can spot errors. One CA and one final exam.

Don't know what I'm doing myself for 4th year. Choice is between Image Processing and Mobile Applications.

That's the whole point of electives, they are there to give you a chance to broaden your education and learn things which would not normally be part of your course. Didn't make any sense to me either until one of the lecturers said it.

I did Intercultural Communication myself, it's a good subject, not too taxing time wise, you get to meet a lot of Erasmus students and you learn a lot about other cultures and some differences and similarities between cultures. We had Peter Van De Kamp for it and he was sound. One exam and one project.

Personal Financial Planning was also very popular, and I think that the Games guys might have had to do Creative Thinking.

In sem 5 I did Personal Taxation which I found not to be too taxing! (sorry). The maths side of it is not terribly difficult and you learn a lot about the tax system which will be very beneficial if you end up self-employed and if PAYE then at least you know how your tax is calculated and can spot errors. One CA and one final exam.

Don't know what I'm doing myself for 4th year. Choice is between Image Processing and Mobile Applications.

Thanks for that, didn't know that about the electives. I had Van De Kamp years ago for English of all subjects as he's Dutch :). Didn't think he was sound back then :).

Was actually swaying more for taxation and financial planing as I did economics and also I like the Maths side of it. Languages & Creative Thinking a big no no.

I tried to get Personal Financial Planning but there were too many students for that elective so some of us had to pick an alternative.

Summer holidays are way, way too long.

That is all :p

Summer holidays are way, way too long.

That is all :p

Yes they are I'm starting to forget stuff now :(

Last day of holidays, back to the grind stone tomorrow and I have forgotten so much :p, good luck guys.

2nd year timetable is pretty rough, all 9am starts, although 4pm is the latest we finish and don't have any huge gaps between classes.

• Advertisement

2nd year timetable is pretty rough, all 9am starts, although 4pm is the latest we finish and don't have any huge gaps between classes.
    Yes ! It's like a full-time job lots of tough looking doubles in there

Advertisement