Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

BossArky wrote: »
    Interesting to see the ab pull down vid. I usually do these with my hands behind my neck / ears and my grip at the very end of the rope, whilst kneeling. I must try your version.

I think I might be doing it that way as well. I'm heading up to the gym in a few minutes so I'll try it Kev's way and see what difference it makes for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Ill be trying kevs way this evening.... i think we should rename these in honour of kev..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Ill be trying kevs way this evening.... i think we should rename these in honour of kev..

LOL. I hope Hanley reads this. I already stole his reverse hypers, or tried to :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

:Dhow about ab-pullyourPANTSdowns

:Dhow about ab-pullyourPANTSdowns

Great... I'm so... proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

kev stance pull down abs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    LOL. I hope Hanley reads this. I already stole his reverse hypers, or tried to :).

Grrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

i jumped on the bandwagon and tried these today

didnt work to well for me - first time, the weight was too light, and it turned into some sort of standing ghr, i had to lift my self up.
    then i upped it, and it kept jerking me back up

looks like its back to the floor for me :rolleyes:

podge57 wrote: »
    i jumped on the bandwagon and tried these today

didnt work to well for me - first time, the weight was too light, and it turned into some sort of standing ghr, i had to lift my self up.
    then i upped it, and it kept jerking me back up

looks like its back to the floor for me :rolleyes:

That's mad! Malteaser is having the same problem. If your feet are behind your hips you shouldn't get jerked back up but these seem to work differently for everyone.

Monday 23/02/09

Restarting Cycle2 of 5/3/1

Squat:

75% 130kg x 5
    80% 140kg x 5
    85% 147.5 x 8 (of the ugliest reps ever. Rusty)

Squat Assistance:

105 x 10 (60%)
    95 x 10
    87.5 x 10
    82.5 x 10 (got the % wrong :o)
    70 x 10 (40%)

Good Mornings:
    80kg
    x15
    x12
    x10

Leg Raises / Holds:
    x 5 sets of holding for as long as I could, didn't bother to time them.

Decided to skip the Ab Pulldowns because my lower back was tired, but not sore, so I'm not taking any chances. Leg raises feel quite therapeutic on my back anyhoo.

Delighted that my back injury didn't affect me. I'm still kind of subconsciously minding it which threw my squat technique off. Happy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What sort of rehab/glute activation exercises were you given by the physio? (that was the problem wasn't it?)

I was given fairly normal stuff but with an emphasis on squeezing my glutes. I don't even know the names!

Things like the plank, supermans (the one where you raise your right leg while on all 4's and simultaneously raise your left arm), warrior lunge stretches, glute raises (where you lie on your back and raise your hips up while keeping your feet planted and shouldrs down. See Michael Jackson in that video for "The way you make me feel" lol, I always got reminded of that video when doing them!).

I also have to be mindful I purposely fire my glutes when I'm deadlifting from now on. Stupid feckers won't do it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was just curious because the chiropractor recommended working on glute activation. I find glute raises hard, my hamstrings fire first and the glutes might fire afterwards, which is obviously not the desired affect. I was thinking of adding in step ups to my lifting, I already do lunges once a week though, and lots of pull thrus so perhaps I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

147.5 x 8 is impressive, ugly or not

i think there is a 5/3/1 manual coming out soon, looks pretty interesting

I was just curious because the chiropractor recommended working on glute activation. I find glute raises hard, my hamstrings fire first and the glutes might fire afterwards, which is obviously not the desired affect. I was thinking of adding in step ups to my lifting, I already do lunges once a week though, and lots of pull thrus so perhaps I'm ok.

Yeah the problem with me wasn't that they were weak necessarily, just that they sat there and watched on while my back did all the work for them! The glute activation stuff is a warmup so they're awake before I start lifting so they hopefully play their part.
    podge57 wrote: »
    147.5 x 8 is impressive, ugly or not

i think there is a 5/3/1 manual coming out soon, looks pretty interesting

Thanks man. I dunno what's gonna be in the book. It's pretty straightforward. If you look on the Q&A on elitefts he gets about 20 questions a day on 5/3/1. I dunno how these people come up with the problems they ask him about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

That's mad! Malteaser is having the same problem. If your feet are behind your hips you shouldn't get jerked back up but these seem to work differently for everyone.

Acutally tried these on Monday and couldn't manage them. I did a few on a light weight, as soon as I increased the weight (by 1 plate), I failed D'oh!
    Although I'd done about an hour of cardio so I was fairly fooked at that stage...

Wednesday 25/02/09 cycle 2 Wave 1

Bench:

warmup

75% 97.5 x 5
    80% 105 x 5
    85% 110 x 7

Dumbell Bench:
    30kg bells

Lat Puldowns:
    65kg (I think)

Seated Cable Rows (strict)
    52 (I think)
    x 14 (after a chat break!)

Preacher Curlz:
    20kg barbell

Reverse Preacher Curlz:
    10kg barbell:

Forgot my logbook last night so reps and weights may be a little off as I'm going on memory.

I based my benching off 130kg which was stooopid because I meant to base it off 130kg as a true max so that would be a 120kg "Wendler Max". I'm backing off the bench numbers and hoping to blow past this crappy period I'm going through. I'm starting to reconsider though, 7 reps at 110kg with my elbows having another one of their bad nights was ok even though it was heavier than it was supposed to be. Hmmmm.

The pulldowns and rows are going to be done with 1000's of reps from here on in, I need volume volume volume for my back to respond. It's a really stubborn bodypart for me but it's stiff as a board today after this work last night so I'm happy I'm taking the right approach.

The reason I'm finishing off the workout by selling tickets to the gun show is down to the elbow pain. The only way around it is to get plenty of support from bigger biceps and forearms. I have fairly girly arms and naturally small forearms and joints and stuff so there's nothing to it but to do it.

Acutally tried these on Monday and couldn't manage them. I did a few on a light weight, as soon as I increased the weight (by 1 plate), I failed D'oh!
    Although I'd done about an hour of cardio so I was fairly fooked at that stage...

Did you lose balance or did it get too hard to pull down on? I can't believe so many are having problems with these, I think they feel really natural :confused:

Friday 27/02/09 Cycle 2 Wave 1

Deadlift:

warmup

75% 157.5kg x 5
    80% 167.5kg x 5
    85% 177.5kg x 8 woohoo

Pull Thrus:
    60kg
    x14
    x10
    x8
    x8

Kroc Rows:
    27.5kg DB

Right:
    x13

Left:

Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5 +5kg plate
    x12
    x9

So delighted that I can deadlift again. I was only expecting 7 reps on the last workset, but got an 8th one without being in any danger of missing it so I'm stoked. Hanley is a bit dumbfounded at my deadlifting form / technique. My hips start really high and the bar goes forward at a strange point in the lift, specifically as I tire. Must pay attention to that!

Monday 02/03/09 Cycle 2 Wave 1

Military press:

warmup

75% 62.5 x 5
    80% 65 x 5
    85% 70kg x 8

Bodyweight dips:

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    10kg DB's
    x14
    x10
    x8
    x8

TF Machine Curls:
    35kg
    x15
    x8
    x6
    x5

TF Reverse Machine Curls (awesome machine for them)
    x20
    x18
    x15

Very happy with the pressing

• Advertisement

Wednesday 04/03/09 Cycle 2 Wave 2

Squat

warmup

80% 140 x 3
    85% 147.5 x 3
    90% 157.5 x 6

Assistance squats:

135kg x 15 :rolleyes:

Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5 + 5kg plate
    x15
    x9
    x10 (after longer break)
    x10 (long break again)

Went for a cheeky 20 rep PR after my work sets. Was never gonna happen but I was actually really happy with it. I did 15 reps really solidly, what got tired was my ability to stand with the weight on my back. After the 15th rep I was like a question mark I was so crumpled under it but the rep itself was relatively good. If I wasn't so wasted after the work sets I reckon I would have hit 20 pretty easily. To demonstrate how bad I was, I racked the weight on a pin about 4 inches lower than the one I took it out of and my stance wasn't any wider! Spinal compression FTW!!

Your shoulders kill mine... that's unreal!

Ya benching tomorrow?

Hanley wrote: »
    Your shoulders kill mine... that's unreal!

Ya benching tomorrow?

Well I gotta have some kind of strong point! :D

Yeah it's benchorama tonight.

Well I gotta have some kind of strong point! :D

Yeah it's benchorama tonight.

A strong point other than your guns you mean?? After all the non-stop training youve been doing you're truly armed and dangerous now!!

Ya benching at the usual time? I don't know when I'll be around. I'm at home studying today for an exam tomorrow so time bears no constraint for once :)

Hanley wrote: »
    A strong point other than your guns you mean?? After all the non-stop training youve been doing you're truly armed and dangerous now!!

Ya benching at the usual time? I don't know when I'll be around. I'm at home studying today for an exam tomorrow so time bears no constraint for once :)

One week of direct bicep training and the gun jokes are already coming thick and fast!

Reckon about 06:30 tonight I'll be up there. All going to plan. Picking up the missus at 08:30 so an hour and half should be plenty of leeway.

One week of direct bicep training and the gun jokes are already coming thick and fast!

Reckon about 06:30 tonight I'll be up there. All going to plan. Picking up the missus at 08:30 so an hour and half should be plenty of leeway.

Well in fairness it has literally been a whole week of bicep training. Non stop like ;)

I'll see ya later on so!

Friday 06/03/09 Cycle 2 Wave 2

Bench:

warmup+

80% 102.5 x 3
    85% 107.5 x 3
    90% 115 x 6 :)

DB Bench:
    35kg bells
    x10
    x7
    x7
    x7

Lat Pulldown:
    75kg
    x18
    x10
    x9

Seated cable row (strict)
    52.5kg
    x18
    x14
    x12

TF Machine Curl:
    35kg
    x10
    x10
    x8

TF Machine Rev Curl:
    15kg
    x13
    x13
    x13

Shocked at how good the benching felt. Flaring my elbows that bit more has really helped. Beats the hell out of my super-tucked technique before. Elbows weren't too sore either. Hopefully they'll stay that way.

Monday 9/3/09 Cycle 2 Wave 2

Deadlift:

warmup

80% 167.5 x 3
    85% 177.5 x 3
    90% 190 x 7 :pac:

Good mornings:
    90kg
    x10
    x10
    x10

Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg + 10kg plate
    x11
    x7
    x5
    x6

So happy with the pulling. I was hoping for 6 but expecting 5 on the 190. Getting 7 made my day.

Thursday 12/03/09 Cycle 2 Wave 2

80% 65kg x 3
    85% 70kg x 3
    90% 75kg x 6

Assistance (Boring but big)
    60% 50kg x10
    45kg x 10
    40kg x 9 :mad:
    37.25kg x 10
    32.5kg x 10

Bodyweight Dips
    x20
    x12
    x8

Kroc Rows:
    30kg
    Right:
    x27
    x15
    Left:
    x23
    x14

TF Machine Curlzz
    35kg
    x15
    x9
    x7

TF Rev Machine Curls
    15kg
    x16
    x16
    x16

• Advertisement

Saturday 14/03/09 Cycle 2 Wave 3

Squat

75% 130 x 5
    85% 147.5 x 3
    95% 165 x 6 (2 rep + 2.5kg PR)

HS Leg Press:
    120kg
    x20
    x15
    x12

POW Rev Hypers (That's right POW Rev Hypers)
    2.5kg plate
    x24
    x14
    x12
    x11

Ab Pulldowns:
    112.5kg + 10kg plate
    x11
    x7
    x6
    x5

Squats were AMAZING on Saturday. I was going for 3 reps at 165, 6 was easy enough too.

I found a great way to add weight to the Hanley Reverse Hyper using my dipping chain. Basically you shackle your ankles together with a plate inbetween. Felt great on the lower back. I named them POW Hypers cos TBH Hanley seems to be coming up with a new exercise every week up there and I need to keep up.

Advertisement