Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Enfield Poltergiest

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8361618.Enfield_Poltergeist_case_offers_new_proof_of_paranormal/

NEW scientific research which uses evidence from the world famous Enfield Poltergeist case has come a step closer to proving conclusively the existence of paranormal activity.

Research published in the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research has concluded that noises recorded during poltergeist activity at a house in Green Street in the late 1970s were unlikely to have been caused by normal human activity.

The recordings, made between 1977 and 1978, captured a variety of unexplained occurrences that plagued a mother and her children - including banging on walls and moving furniture.

During the year of disturbances, incidents of levitation and appearances of apparitions were also reported.

The events were witnessed by the family, along with local police officers, neighbours and journalists, receiving global media attention.

The recordings have for the first time been analysed in detail and the sounds of knocking on walls and furniture compared to the same sounds recreated under scientific conditions. The results showed the unexplained noises in Enfield did not produce normal sound wave patterns.

Im not spamming, but I have been doing some research this evening

"'As long as people don’t meddle the way we did with Ouija boards, it is quite settled. It is a lot calmer than when I was a child. It is at rest, but will always be there.’

......Apparently they had been using a Ouija board before it all kicked off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054842/Enfield-Poltergeist-The-amazing-story-11-year-old-North-London-girl-levitated-bed.html

Check out the way "skeptics" make lies up to suit their agenda, hardly a scientific approach.

"Two SPR experts caught the children bending spoons themselves, and questioned why no one was allowed in the same room as Janet when she was using her gruff voice, apparently that of Bill".....not true, "Bills" voice speaks in the clips posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist

" A female police constable saw a chair slide on the floor but couldn't determine if it moved by itself or was pushed by someone".................Skeptics rewriting the events, the PC in the clip in post 1 clearly does not say that.

"Nickell noted that the supposed poltergeist "tended to act only when it was not being watched" and concluded that the incidents were best explained as children’s pranks"

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G. Jung

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If you listen carefully to the alledged recorded voices they actually sound like the guy who is investigating it Maurice Grosse, pure hoax!

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If you listen carefully to the alledged recorded voices they actually sound like the guy who is investigating it Maurice Grosse, pure hoax!

Micky has solved it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Seems to me like a case of a family looking to get moved to a different/better council house by virtue of their current place being "haunted" with the natural and willing help of their neighbours and overly enthusiastic journalists.

Sorry, I've listened to "Bill" closely, to me, it sounds like a little girl putting on an old man's voice. I know what that sounds like.

Welfare scam basically, neighbours providing the knocking, mother providing the stories, the media providing the hysteria and the daughters providing the voices.

..and you ever notice they always seem to be council houses..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

DeadHand wrote: »
    Welfare scam basically, neighbours providing the knocking, mother providing the stories, the media providing the hysteria and the daughters providing the voices.

If it was a welfare fraud then it was a spectacularly crap one, because the mother of the family lived in the house until the day she died over 20 years later and, from what I can recall from Guy Lyon Playfair's book, pointedly refused an offer to be re-housed during the alleged haunting.

If it was a welfare fraud then it was a spectacularly crap one, because the mother of the family lived in the house until the day she died over 20 years later and, from what I can recall from Guy Lyon Playfair's book, pointedly refused an offer to be re-housed during the alleged haunting.

Seriously though, if those terrifying events were happening in that house would you not think if an offer of an other house came up would it hardly be refused?? I don't think so, any sane person would be out of there like a shot..

Seems to me like a case of a family looking to get moved to a different/better council house by virtue of their current place being "haunted" with the natural and willing help of their neighbours and overly enthusiastic journalists.

Sorry, I've listened to "Bill" closely, to me, it sounds like a little girl putting on an old man's voice. I know what that sounds like.

And what about the cops ? Did they conspire too ?

The family were not rehoused.

• Advertisement

..and you ever notice they always seem to be council houses..

No it aren't.

Various other buildings have disturbances.

Mmhmm...

And isn't it possible that the scam failed? That she was offered a house she didn't want for whatever reason, refused it and stayed where she was because she knew for a fact there was nothing supernatural going on there?

Mmhmm...

And isn't it possible that the scam failed? That she was offered a house she didn't want for whatever reason, refused it and stayed where she was because she knew for a fact there was nothing supernatural going on there?

So...the mother decides she wants a new house, goes to the trouble of concocting an intricate paranormal fraud involving dozens of people (neighbours, journalists, police, academics, her own children and extended family), and when she is offered a new home she refuses to move "for whatever reason"? Really? Even though she's gotten precisely what she wanted?

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense.

So...the mother decides she wants a new house, goes to the trouble of concocting an intricate paranormal fraud involving dozens of people (neighbours, journalists, police, academics, her own children and extended family), and when she is offered a new home she refuses to move "for whatever reason"? Really? Even though she's gotten precisely what she wanted?

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense.

People always want the council house they're offered?

If the house was so terrifying why was she contented to stay there until she died?

Would you be happy to remain for life in a house that you genuinely believed contained a malicious spirit?

Isn't the most likely reason she stayed despite being offered alternatives was because she deemed the alternatives inferior and knew for a fact there was nothing wrong with her current house?

People always want the council house they're offered?

If the house was so terrifying why was she contented to stay there until she died?

Would you be happy to remain for life in a house that you genuinely believed contained a malicious spirit?

Isn't the most likely reason she stayed despite being offered alternatives was because she deemed the alternatives inferior and knew for a fact there was nothing wrong with her current house?

The activity only lasted 18 months.

Why dont you study the case first before posting nonsense.

The activity only lasted 18 months.

Why dont you study the case first before posting nonsense.

Oh, alright, you're a little excitable over this so much so different theories upset you.

My mistake. Carry on, I'll just ignore this thread like everyone else does.

I'll just ignore this thread like everyone else does.

Please do. It's been fun though...

No it aren't.

Various other buildings have disturbances.

What buildings? Maybe some but it will be mostly council houses that a big deal will be made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

What buildings? Maybe some but it will be mostly council houses that a big deal will be made of.

are you seriously putting out the contention that only council houses have had poltergeist activity. I had a poltergeist experience years ago and it wasnt in a council house. I know someone in belfast who had a similiar experience and it wasnt in a council house either.

LOL, no i'm not. But it seems most cases you do hear about are from council houses, i even know of a local case that was clearly so they could get out of lease for a rented house because all else failed to get moved. They even used a phone app to try and convince the letting agency they photographed a ghost lol

Anyway IMO ghosts and poltergeists do not exist....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

LOL, no i'm not. But it seems most cases you do hear about are from council houses, i even know of a local case that was clearly so they could get out of lease for a rented house because all else failed to get moved. They even used a phone app to try and convince the letting agency they photographed a ghost lol

theres plenty of people who use the paranormal as an excuse to get a better house etc - totally agree with that. it doesnt though mean that ALL such claims are for that reason.

And i wouldn't try to convince you otherwise. It's one of those things people either want to believe in for reasons of their own, or else they end up believing in it due to their experiences. I'm the the latter grouping (and that doesnt mean believing in everything thats apparently paranormal either).

Thanks so much for sharing. I think I'll take a cue from your good self and pop over to the Smoking forum to inform its members that I don't like cigarettes.

Advertisement