Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LuasWest alignment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

OMG. It's not straight. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

John R wrote: »
    Get yer man in here pronto! He'll sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

murphaph wrote: »

:confused::confused::confused:???

Is this proposal in the form of a LUAS or Metro line - if the line is going to be generally an at-grade affair, why spend the money pretending it's a Metro spec when it clearly isn't. Just build a LUAS instead and call a spade a spade. The route could go straight through Clondalkin then instead of messing up the Fonthill Link Road (Parts of the road look set to be reduced in width to just 2 standard lanes).

Regards!

Is this proposal in the form of a LUAS or Metro line - if the line is going to be generally an at-grade affair, why spend the money pretending it's a Metro spec when it clearly isn't. Just build a LUAS instead and call a spade a spade. The route could go straight through Clondalkin then instead of messing up the Fonthill Link Road (Parts of the road look set to be reduced in width to just 2 standard lanes).

Regards!
    I suppose (in theory-who knows if it will ever happen mind!) running the alignment like that means it can be converted piecemeal to more segregated running, junction by junction as funds arise over the coming decades. Running the line right through (for example) Clondalkin Village would ensure no such upgrade would be possible.

If I had any faith in the powers that be I would say "hold off building this thing and just reserve the alignment until more housing and business goes in along the route" but I know in my heart they won't do it so I say build it now and hope for the best.

Different sections of Luas west (it is a tram, despite the name!) will have different levels of 'metro like' features. For example-a rider boarding at the Blanch Centre should have a pretty fast and reliable journey as far as the Mill Centre in Clondalkin (assuming they go for the more expensive options in and around Liffey Valley). The entire northern section of the route should be very fast with few at grade crossings and few stops! Blanch to the airport should be quite fast.

It's not ideal but if we had the money for another underground type 'proper metro' I'd prefer to see another radial one built out towards Tallaght via the KCR along the lines of a platform for change instead of an orbital metro. Who knows though-Luas west could surprise us all and be very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭What Vision?

is LUAS west going to have priority at traffic signals. Seems to be allot of them. Also, the road sign for "Warning Trams" will it be changes to "Warning (Pretend) Metro" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Regards!

It's a metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

It's a Metro in absolutely no sense. It's at grade, it will probably have to stop at junctions, it won't run at speed...

It's a metro.
    Could you back that statement up please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's called metro west. :D;)

Oh yeah, my mistake :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

John R wrote: »

Hahahahahahaha :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

IF we want to be pedantic about it...

Nearly all definitions of the word metro (in regards to transport) say a metro is a subway/underground system... that strict definition would rule out large sections of what people think of as metro systems.

Then on the other side of things LA, for example, use Metro as the transport authority's name and the name of the whole system (ie bus, busway, underground rail lines, part at grade rail lines etc etc).

What Dublin needs - as well as joint-up thinking in planning and management - is joint-up branding. As I've said before here: I'd go as far as branding Dublin Bus, the Dart, Luas and Metro under one name as they do in LA (ie totally remove the names Luas, Dublin Bus, Dart).

markpb wrote: »
    ...it won't run at speed...

Even compared to the rush hour road speeds in Dublin? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

monument wrote: »
    Nearly all definitions of the word metro (in regards to transport) say a metro is a subway/underground system... that strict definition would rule out large sections of what people think of as metro systems.

True but it doesn't matter as long as it's segregated. Any mixed mode operation will result in much slower speeds and an orbital tramway needs to be fast to compete with the car, even in congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm very disappointed with the chosen route through Porterstown Park (dissecting the playing pitches - they could have gone up the west side Rugged Lane) and Verona football pitches (do they have something against footballers?) and along Snugborough Road (Blanchardstown Road North route would have served ITB, Blanch Corporate Park/PayPal).

The logic given for the Snugborough Road route was lame - "serve Blanch Hospital" - people won't walk that far and there would be more regular riders at ITB/Blanch Corporate Park and that route would run right beside the Dublin Bus termini in Blanch Centre. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daymobrew wrote: »
    do they have something against footballers?
    And trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Just got around to looking through a few of these. Ingenious approach, to improve our transportation by adding new traffic conflicts. Good luck with that. The plans seem to herald a new era of traffic lights replacing roundabouts. It's like reversing the 70s. It's not like Irish people ever learned how to use the bleeding things anyway.

The Kiss and Ride laybys look very practical, though, I'd imagine they'll prove a great hit among the young and young at heart. :D

DART = Dublin Area RAPID Transit.

markpb wrote: »
    It's a Metro in absolutely no sense. It's at grade, it will probably have to stop at junctions, it won't run at speed...

Same as a number of "metros" all over Europe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LuasWest alignment
    They admit it themselves.

http://www.rpa.ie/?id=328
    Q. What's the difference between Metro West and Luas?
    A. Metro West will be designed as a Luas line that can be upgraded to metro when required. This means that it will ultimately be able to carry more passengers than the Luas by running longer vehicles and more frequent services. Luas currently has capacity for up to 5,000 ppdph. Metro West will be upgradeable to carry in excess of 10,000 ppdph. (ppdph = person per direction per hour)

Thank you Victor. I'll have that apology now Nostradamus. By the way, when will it be upgraded to metro? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I suppose (in theory-who knows if it will ever happen mind!) running the alignment like that means it can be converted piecemeal to more segregated running, junction by junction as funds arise over the coming decades. Running the line right through (for example) Clondalkin Village would ensure no such upgrade would be possible.

If I had any faith in the powers that be I would say "hold off building this thing and just reserve the alignment until more housing and business goes in along the route" but I know in my heart they won't do it so I say build it now and hope for the best.

I think they'd be better off building this thing in sections, like starting off with a line from Fonthill on the Cork line, past Liffey Valley SC, on to Porterstown incorporating another proper interchange with the Western Commuter Line (missing from the plans for some reason :( ), and on to Blanch SC. Then do the Tallaght section.

Regards!

I think they'd be better off building this thing in sections, like starting off with a line from Fonthill on the Cork line, past Liffey Valley SC, on to Porterstown incorporating another proper interchange with the Western Commuter Line (missing from the plans for some reason :( ), and on to Blanch SC. Then do the Tallaght section.

Regards!
    It was originally a phased project but you would have to do it in a different order than you suggest as you need a depot to go with phase 1 and there's only a limited number of sites identified (all adjacent to the M50 Northern Cross).

Thank you Victor. I'll have that apology now Nostradamus. By the way, when will it be upgraded to metro? :D

From the land West of the great river
    Will come a leader whom shall divide the commuters
    He will speak in riddles
    and great shall be the suffering of the Jackeens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

daymobrew wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed with the chosen route through Porterstown Park (dissecting the playing pitches - they could have gone up the west side Rugged Lane) and Verona football pitches (do they have something against footballers?) and along Snugborough Road (Blanchardstown Road North route would have served ITB, Blanch Corporate Park/PayPal).

The logic given for the Snugborough Road route was lame - "serve Blanch Hospital" - people won't walk that far and there would be more regular riders at ITB/Blanch Corporate Park and that route would run right beside the Dublin Bus termini in Blanch Centre. :rolleyes:

Or, they could just build a big tunnel and run it through that. It's amazing no other european city has ever thought of that:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

From the land West of the great river
    Will come a leader whom shall divide the commuters
    He will speak in riddles
    and great shall be the suffering of the Jackeens

Mods - this is surely some sort of irritating troll???

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Mods - this is surely some sort of irritating troll???
    Actually I think I know who it is now Paul. Nice one TS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Or, they could just build a big tunnel and run it through that. It's amazing no other european city has ever thought of that:rolleyes::D

Does the geology on that route allow for building another tunnel? Even if it does, these days it's unacceptable to force workers to work the kind of hours for the little pay that some other cities used to build their underground systems! The cost implications would be huge!

Take London for example, it's easier to dig tunnels in North London because it's mostly soft clay and not rock! It's amazing how some people don't think of these considerations, they just come along for a spot of mild trolling. ;)

As it stands I have to agree that Metro West is a Luas really, but we do not know the final specs and there is a lot of speculation.

The DOT are such a shower of spoofers. Remember when they said that the first section of Metro West would be operational between Tallaght and the Kildare rail line. And then it would be built in operational stages progressing towards Ballymun.

Nice graphics though.

Advertisement