Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with Website

Options
  • 18-04-2015 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

For a college assignment had to create a website to a proper business using Dreamweaver.

I'm fairly happy with the site bar one thing..It doesn't seem to work on iPhone browsers, Samsung browsers or Tablet browsers and yet it works on Desktops (all browsers) and Windows Phones.

It kinda just stays flickering when checking on the iPhone.

If you want to see what I mean it's www.parsaversgolf.ie

Other people created sites the same way as me and even though they aren't responsive they are getting the Desktop view on the phone which would be fine for me too.

Also, the favicon won't work for me either. On "live" view on dreamweaver when I check the desktop it works but on the actual webpage it isn't.

Here's the Head code below to see if maybe anyone knows where I've gone wrong. Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

EDIT: Image might be a bit big, so apologies for that.

n2BeX.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="images/favicon.ico"/>

You could try this for the favicon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't know why you're using muse redirect but if it's for a mobile version then it's what's not working. Have you considered using a framework like bootstrap? It's very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

smash wrote: »
    I don't know why you're using muse redirect but if it's for a mobile version then it's what's not working. Have you considered using a framework like bootstrap? It's very easy to use.

Is there something I can put in instead of muse redirect to make it work?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

callaway92 wrote: »

Thanks

No redirect

This might be useful too:

If you're not ready to publish a mobile version of your site, learn how to utilize a feature that directs your mobile users to your desktop site. (Watch, 2 min)

https://helpx.adobe.com/muse/how-to/mobile-redirect-feature.html

Thanks

You should use a responsive grid (like bootstrap). Mobile redirects are a bad idea and with Google's new search algorithm you'll get somewhat penalised for it.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ie/2015/02/finding-more-mobile-friendly-search.html

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Graham. If I get rid of the redirect code should it work then?

I've never used it myself, but have a look at Adobe Edge Reflow: https://creative.adobe.com/products/reflow it might be what you need.

Thanks for that Graham. If I get rid of the redirect code should it work then?

I only quickly glanced over the htmlgawk that Dreamweaver chundered out but I'm guessing one of the Javascript files is redirecting mobile users to a non-existent mobile page.

Looks like it happens often enough that Adobe have produced a video how to fix it (linked previous post) I'd check that first.

Graham wrote: »
    I only quickly glanced over the htmlgawk that Dreamweaver chundered out but I'm guessing one of the Javascript files is redirecting mobile users to a non-existent mobile page.

You can see it on line 11 of the code there. Redirect for desktop site to index.html

smash wrote: »
    You can see it on line 11 of the code there. Redirect for desktop site to index.html

Spotted that alright but there's absolutely no hint at WTF it's doing with mobile browsers though.

It's quite sad to think they're still churning out Dreamweaver operators from colleges. I'd agree with your previous post, Bootstrap (or Foundation) would be an order of magnitude more useful.

• Advertisement

Spotted that alright but there's absolutely no hint at WTF it's doing with mobile browsers though.
    Absolutely nothing. Have a look at the full code here view-source:http://www.parsaversgolf.ie/ dreamweaver outputs some awful shite.
    It's quite sad to think they're still churning out Dreamweaver operators from colleges.
    It says a lot about the lecturers...

Thanks for the useful info folks. I'd genuinely trust here as much as I would with some lecturers!

I'll have a look at the video that was posted. It won't mess up the site if I get rid of the redirect code will it?

Sorry if I'm coming across as not having a clue here. I'm a Marketing student so coding wouldn't be my strong point. It's a strange module really. We should be doing more about Google Analytics/AdWords etc. rather than actually creating a website.

Take a copy of the page, remove the redirect from the original and see if it works.

If it works, all is good. If it doesn't, replace the modified page with your original copy.

Thanks lads, I'll let ye know how it goes sure!

@callaway take a few minutes and have a look here: https://www.boottheme.com/

SUCCESS!!!

Give it a test run folks if you'd like so I can know if it's working for ye?

It might be a small bit messy though

EDIT: I know it mightn't be up to or even near designers quality stuff but I'm fairly happy with it. some dimensions etc are a bit messy.

Advertisement