Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a scam? Domain notice..

Options
  • 07-03-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

I'm usually able to spot spam emails and companies trying to get you to believe you need to sign up with them to keep your domain, but this is a strange one:

(This is a very important case, so please transfer this email to your CEO or appropriate person. Thanks a lot.)

Dear CEO/Principal,

We are the department of Asian Domain Registration Service in China. Here I have something to confirm with you. We formally received an application on March 6, 2015 that a company claimed "TaoLan Tran Company" were applying to register "vantasks" as their Net Brand and some "vantasks" Asian countries top-level domain names through our firm.

Now we are handling this registration, and after our initial checking, we found the name were similar to your company's, so we need to check with you whether your company has authorized that company to register these names. If you authorized this, we would finish the registration at once. If you did not authorize, please let us know within 7 workdays, so that we could handle this issue better. After the deadline we will unconditionally finish the registration for "TaoLan Tran Company" Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Best Regards,

Is there a scam here or is it a genuine email and if so, any suggestions on what to do with the other company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Very much a scam (expect a few more like it).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the scam though? What are they trying to trick me into doing do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cormie wrote: »
    What's the scam though? What are they trying to trick me into doing do you know?

I presume accepting will sign you up for years and years of fees.

They aren't asking me to sign up to anything though, only asking me if I gave another company permission to use the name :confused: All I have to do is reply that I didn't give anyone permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Purchase vantasks.cn, vantasks.vn, vantasks.la etc. etc. Probably at exorbitant prices

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, they're hoping you'll try to block the registration by buying the (worthless) domains yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We've had a good few of these nothing to worry about give it a google nothing but scam alerts!

Ah jaysus, of course, didn't even think of the whole buying the ****ty domains trick, of course of course now it makes sense :D lack of sleep does that to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This is the Asian take on the old "domain re-registration form by post" scam (where you're signing up to transfer registrars and renew your .com at €895/year when you read the small print).

Caveat emptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    I presume accepting will sign you up for years and years of fees.
    They aren't asking me to sign up to anything though, only asking me if I gave another company permission to use the name :confused: All I have to do is reply that I didn't give anyone permission?

As I said........
    Trojan wrote: »
    This is the Asian take on the old "domain re-registration form by post" scam (where you're signing up to transfer registrars and renew your .com at €895/year when you read the small print).

Caveat emptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's been going on for years.

There's a variation where they actually ring you up and spin you a similar story.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

Was actually thinking they are some kind of larger van company trying to use the same name with your permission.
    Looks totally armless from outside.
    Interesting....

Advertisement