Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big news today for the reserves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

bluetop wrote: »
    Someone telling porkies so ........ !:eek:

It would appear so... OMG your so punny.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

bluetop wrote: »
    Someone telling porkies so ........ !:eek:

Agree bluetop

Dont think the Commish would interfer with recruitment process to get her son into the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

tg123 wrote: »
    Agree bluetop

Dont think the Commish would interfer with recruitment process to get her son into the job.

Canvassing will disqualify of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Santa Cruz wrote:
    Thanks. Best of luck to him inhis Sergeants interview

hahaha

Thekid2010 wrote:
    I completed my interviews in March 2013 and last one in nov 2013,missed a call from private number just before Christmas,rang the reserve office in the new year to see if there was any news and they told me they were trying to arrange a medical date and there is none on the cards at present,is there anybody else waiting on a medical,I'm hoping to be in the batch this year

I think I could get a call ,they say my background is done but they may be just saying this to me ,Im waiting around the same time as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    I think I could get a call ,they say my background is done but they may be just saying this to me ,Im waiting around the same time as you.

Once the medical is done we'll get into the college have no idea why don't get it done and dusted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Its been almost 3 years since my Interview, written exam and Super meeting!

Background checks are still being processed also :(

Please god let me get word this year!!

Its a **** wait , they have to clear soon . I'm actually guna buzz them 2mr and ask what happening like its April already , so much for a big change up.

Its a **** wait , they have to clear soon . I'm actually guna buzz them 2mr and ask what happening like its April already , so much for a big change up.

I have religiously called them once a month for the past 2 years.

All I get is your application in being processed and we cant move the application along until we have the authorisation!!

I have religiously called them once a month for the past 2 years.

All I get is your application in being processed and we cant move the application along until we have the authorisation!!

It will happen ,its a shame you have to wait so long for this.

• Advertisement

Just called and my background checks have now been sent for a final decision!!

No idea how long that will take…..

I’m now officially s**ting cavity blocks :confused:

Just called and my background checks have now been sent for a final decision!!

No idea how long that will take…..

I’m now officially s**ting cavity blocks :confused:

Happy days buddy. :D

Happy days buddy. :D

Yea thank god but now I'm a nervous wreck wondering if I'll be accepted!

Yea thank god but now I'm a nervous wreck wondering if I'll be accepted!

You will man .

You will man .

Lol do you know something I don't!

Love to go full time, starting a diploma in legal studies then diploma I'm criminology and criminal physiology so I'll be fairly disappointed if I don't get into the reserve ha

Lol do you know something I don't!

Love to go full time, starting a diploma in legal studies then diploma I'm criminology and criminal physiology so I'll be faulty disappointed if I don't get into the reserve ha

Going back to college to do a degree myself in criminology . :)

Going back to college to do a degree myself in criminology . :)

I haven't decided what degree I'm doing yet! Hope it will help for the full time force

I haven't decided what degree I'm doing yet! Hope it will help for the full time force

100% it would help .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Kwackers you ll get there eventually man,;)

just a word of advice for ppl, be careful about shelling out for these courses,

you need to give yourself some security aswell, like having a degree in criminology will obvs look good at garda interview level,:D

but it will be difficult to obtain otherwise employment in the mean time,:confused:

i dont mean to knock or influence ppls lives lol, im just giving my two cents,:D

all the best in the future ppl :D:D

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Kwackers you ll get there eventually man,;)

just a word of advice for ppl, be careful about shelling out for these courses,

you need to give yourself some security aswell, like having a degree in criminology will obvs look good at garda interview level,:D

but it will be difficult to obtain otherwise employment in the mean time,:confused:

i dont mean to knock or influence ppls lives lol, im just giving my two cents,:D

all the best in the future ppl :D:D

I currently have a steady job in credit control so I am Ok as far as employment goes for the foreseeable future!

My long term goal is to join the force full time hence the course choice.

I'll just have to be a nervous wreck till I get the final word :-(

• Advertisement

I currently have a steady job in credit control so I am Ok as far as employment goes for the foreseeable future!

My long term goal is to join the force full time hence the course choice.

I'll just have to be a nervous wreck till I get the final word :-(

I wouldn't worry about it man . when it happens it happens and it will and ul be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Straight from the Commissioner Looking good for the Reserve

As part of our internal Garda survey, we surveyed all members of An Garda Síochána including the Garda Reserve. As Deputy Collins has said, it should absolutely be put on record that the Garda Reserve members are indicative of and the epitome of volunteerism in Irish society. They are people who come and give their own time, for very little remuneration, wanting to give something back to the communities in which they live and work. They are a very welcome asset to An Garda Síochána. We had a number of specific seminars for the Garda Reserve and the feedback we received and heard was exactly what Deputy Collins has said - that some members of the Garda Reserve perceived they did not have a particular point of contact where their voices could be heard. We are appointing a superintendent in charge of the Garda Reserve who will have responsibility for co-ordinating the Garda Reserve itself and who will also address any issues the reserves may want to bring to their attention. Each of the regional assistant commissioners will also hold a quarterly seminar with the reserves.
    Regarding vision, we have identified a number of powers we will expand to the Garda Reserve. At the moment we are in the final stages of putting the necessary structures and training in place to ensure this can be implemented. The Garda reserves come from a wide range of communities and have a lot of skills. Many reserves are professional people and can bring a lot of skills to various aspects of the Garda organisation. We are exploring that at the moment to see where people could employ these skills to benefit them and the organisation. The Deputy also mentioned looking at a reserve stream. We are talking to the Public Appointments Service at the moment and exploring what options are available regarding that.

tg123 wrote: »
    Straight from the Commissioner Looking good for the Reserve

As part of our internal Garda survey, we surveyed all members of An Garda Síochána including the Garda Reserve. As Deputy Collins has said, it should absolutely be put on record that the Garda Reserve members are indicative of and the epitome of volunteerism in Irish society. They are people who come and give their own time, for very little remuneration, wanting to give something back to the communities in which they live and work. They are a very welcome asset to An Garda Síochána. We had a number of specific seminars for the Garda Reserve and the feedback we received and heard was exactly what Deputy Collins has said - that some members of the Garda Reserve perceived they did not have a particular point of contact where their voices could be heard. We are appointing a superintendent in charge of the Garda Reserve who will have responsibility for co-ordinating the Garda Reserve itself and who will also address any issues the reserves may want to bring to their attention. Each of the regional assistant commissioners will also hold a quarterly seminar with the reserves.
    Regarding vision, we have identified a number of powers we will expand to the Garda Reserve. At the moment we are in the final stages of putting the necessary structures and training in place to ensure this can be implemented. The Garda reserves come from a wide range of communities and have a lot of skills. Many reserves are professional people and can bring a lot of skills to various aspects of the Garda organisation. We are exploring that at the moment to see where people could employ these skills to benefit them and the organisation. The Deputy also mentioned looking at a reserve stream. We are talking to the Public Appointments Service at the moment and exploring what options are available regarding that.

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Yes this is excellent news and about time that senior management of AGS commenced work on creating an internal stream for reserves but better late than never.
    In addition im wondering would the 35 year age limit still apply and If any weighting would be given to number of years service in reserves.
    All in all this is a good and progressive move and let hope that AGS will see this through swiftly and with success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I'd imagine they'd have a certain amount of reserves recruited every campaign? or somthing like that.

Don't think they'd ever be able to exclusively recruit fro the reserves and leave the public campaigns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

carzony wrote: »
    I'd imagine they'd have a certain amount of reserves recruited every campaign? or somthing like that.

Don't think they'd ever be able to exclusively recruit fro the reserves and leave the public campaigns?

Would depend on the first stream they do. If this trials okay then I would imagine they will start to pull more from the stream.

Its good news all the same to have a head over the Reserves. Could be a chance for a super to go down in history for whatever changed they make be it good or bad. It needs to be shaped at this stage, it looks like it did when it started in 2005.

They should make like the army and RDF , just take a hand full from the Reserve ,but still keep the public intakes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They should make like the army and RDF , just take a hand full from the Reserve ,but still keep the public intakes .

The army doesn't recruit from the RDF, handful or otherwise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

testicle wrote: »

Think they ment each respective reserve for each organisation.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »

They dont ? I was sure they did . my bad .

Advertisement