Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new powers

• 06-11-2013 10:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Now that the refresher courses have been completed we should see the additional powers been bestowed on the Reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not there is a GR graduation ceremony this month ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have we got these powers yet or whats the story, also who exactly is in charge of the Reserves?

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0632/D.0632.200702220035.html

Here it says 'The Commissioner has also recently appointed a Chief Superintendent to oversee the Garda Reserve on a full-time basis.'

I mean there's no communication about any news or changes or asking for feedback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

msg11 wrote: »
    Have we got these powers yet or whats the story, also who exactly is in charge of the Reserves?

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0632/D.0632.200702220035.html

Here it says 'The Commissioner has also recently appointed a Chief Superintendent to oversee the Garda Reserve on a full-time basis.'

I mean there's no communication about any news or changes or asking for feedback ?

That appointment was 6 years ago!!

We all now report up the rank like anyone else.

From what i heard there is a Graduation on or around the 21st November and Shatter is hopping to anounce the new powers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Yogi Bear wrote: »

From what i heard there is a Graduation on or around the 21st November and Shatter is hopping to anounce the new powers then.

Sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

That has been cancelled and rescheduled to the second week of December, or so I'm led to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

The previous super simon o connor who was in charge of the GR retired and wasn't replaced. He now works with the UN in afganistan. Don't know what the structure is now or who is managing the reserve

That has been cancelled and rescheduled to the second week of December, or so I'm led to believe.

Any update on the Graduation and new powers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I was talking to a student reserve yesterday, graduation is December 12th, same day ads for recruitment will be in the papers. Not sure about the new powers, could be release on the 12th also.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I was talking to a student reserve yesterday, graduation is December 12th, same day ads for recruitment will be in the papers. Not sure about the new powers, could be release on the 12th also.

thats the rumor - two good news stories for AGS in one day

and just before the government christmas recess

nice present for us :P

I understand from the Commissioner that he is planning to roll out additional powers to all your colleagues very shortly. This is a new positive development for the Garda Reserve and reflects the professionalism and service which you bring to your role.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP13000423

Looks like we still haven't got them yet!

• Advertisement

Looks like it won't be long now. Will be good to get some returns. For a lot of reserves it will be a great opportunity to contribute to their individual units and gain some respect from those members who still hold to the idea that the reserve was a bad idea. However it is also a huge opportunity to make mistakes so when these powers are finally granted we must all be careful of their use. Leave the egos and egerness to make an arrest aside and remember your training and the discretion that must also come into play when considering the option of effecting an arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Raider190 wrote: »
    Looks like it won't be long now. Will be good to get some returns. For a lot of reserves it will be a great opportunity to contribute to their individual units and gain some respect from those members who still hold to the idea that the reserve was a bad idea. However it is also a huge opportunity to make mistakes so when these powers are finally granted we must all be careful of their use. Leave the egos and egerness to make an arrest aside and remember your training and the discretion that must also come into play when considering the option of effecting an arrest.

:D Wont be long now, that is funny alright its only been ........ 14 months since the training started, and we are still at this stage wont be long now, it will be next year if even then before they will decide, and maybe if and i say if the GRA get something in return for this, still people have not upskilled so what will happen, there will be yet another upskill day and another and another, they put the cart before the horse this time and forgot to hook up the donkey. :eek:

bluetop wrote: »
    :D Wont be long now, that is funny alright its only been ........ 14 months since the training started, and we are still at this stage wont be long now, it will be next year if even then before they will decide, and maybe if and i say if the GRA get something in return for this, still people have not upskilled so what will happen, there will be yet another upskill day and another and another, they put the cart before the horse this time and forgot to hook up the donkey. :eek:

What the g r a got to do with it. Reason we have not got them yet is a small amount of reserves didn't bother going to the up skill courses. This can't be blamed on management. They have written to those who haven't and made it clear that they cannot report for duty unless they have completed the course

What the g r a got to do with it. Reason we have not got them yet is a small amount of reserves didn't bother going to the up skill courses. This can't be blamed on management. They have written to those who haven't and made it clear that they cannot report for duty unless they have completed the course

Thanks for that. Thats good to know.
    The question would be if anyone who has not done the course can't report for duty, whats the delay in giving us the powers??

Thanks for that. Thats good to know.
    The question would be if anyone who has not done the course can't report for duty, whats the delay in giving us the powers??

Just more excuses nothing more we have been hearing the same old stuff since the start of the year. Up-skilling courses after Up-skilling courses to try and get people to do them, simple answer if they wont comply with the requirements they should either tender their resignations or be dismissed, its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi guys and gals,

do ye reckon that full time recruitment will stall or impact on reserve intakes into the college?

:)

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

do ye reckon that full time recruitment will stall or impact on reserve intakes into the college?

the reserve force is at capacity

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

It may do I am sure that if some if the age qualified reserves are not successful in the full time campaign they may rethink the contributions they are making. I hope this will not be the case as we need as many good reserves to help progress us to the next evolution of the Garda Reserve

Any word that we might get the powers this month?

Any word that we might get the powers this month?

You be lucky to see them in the next century, did you not know Ireland does things backward here, they put the cart before the horse. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bluetop wrote: »
    You be lucky to see them in the next century, did you not know Ireland does things backward here, they put the cart before the horse. :rolleyes:

Bluetop why so negative all the time??
    It is only a matter of time before the commissioner signs off on the new new powers

Bluetop why so negative all the time??
    It is only a matter of time before the commissioner signs off on the new new powers

She's probably like me. Sick of waiting for them. Will it ever happen?? is it a year and a half now from when they were first announced? Lads on unit are asking me every time i come in, have we got them yet. They can't wait until we can give a dig out with the public order.

She's probably like me. Sick of waiting for them. Will it ever happen?? is it a year and a half now from when they were first announced? Lads on unit are asking me every time i come in, have we got them yet. They can't wait until we can give a dig out with the public order.

It's the same for myself the regulars want us to have these powers. It's very frustrating when your out in the car and the other crew members are doing all the work. Try to stay positive it will happen.

if in 2014 new fulltime recruits with GR backgrounds were to be coupled with newly empowered GRs, the organisation would have a breath of life put back into it

it would be the change we're all waiting on

hang in there boys and girls

Scouser wrote: »
    if in 2014 new fulltime recruits with GR backgrounds were to be coupled with newly empowered GRs, the organisation would have a breath of life put back into it

it would be the change we're all waiting on

hang in there boys and girls

Totally agree with this, that's what its going to take to get the GR any sort of recognition, other FT ex GR members that knows how to treat other GR, as they have gone thru the it themselves.

Lads lets not forget we are all members who hold the rank of Garda Reserve and given that the numbers been recruited will be 300 as stated recently it would be great to think that a large proportion will be Garda reserves. It will interesting to observe the process and be reassured for those who have contributed so much of their time will be rewarded by joining full time should they reach the standards .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Lads lets not forget we are all members who hold the rank of Garda Reserve and given that the numbers been recruited will be 300 as stated recently it would be great to think that a large proportion will be Garda reserves. It will interesting to observe the process and be reassured for those who have contributed so much of their time will be rewarded by joining full time should they reach the standards .

Have you applied??

Hooch wrote: »
    Have you applied??

Decided against it . All about the financials I would lose at least 75% in salary plus benefits and my car. Just not worth it to follow a dream.

Have you

Decided against it . All about the financials I would lose at least 75% in salary plus benefits and my car. Just not worth it to follow a dream.

Have you

75%?

any jobs goin in your place!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Im sure I speak for most Gardaí on here when I say, Thank God you haven't.

Advertisement