Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just found out there that one of my friends deleted me from his league. I was beating him by 170 points. He was hammering me for a while a few months back but I've given him a round around the last 2/3 months. He has only outscored me once.

Such a delightful thing to have him delete me. Shows how annoyed he's after getting over it all :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

roryc wrote: »
    Haha not dealing mate. I'll be over there with all of our players that qualified for the World Series.
    is it a holiday or do you work for one of the irish sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

So with this season done and dusted what would folks like to see changed for next season.

To get the ball rolling, the one thing i think needs to be changed is the -4 when a defender lets in 1 goal, think that is to much. Look how many people only play 3 at the back.

I would like to see only -2 for the first goal let in and then the other -2 for second goal let in. The -1 for every other 2 goals let in after that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Maybe make picking defenders more important?

for example on the champions league fantasy football a defender earns 1 point for every 5 balls he wins back/recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

PerrinV2 wrote: »

for example on the champions league fantasy football a defender earns 1 point for every ball he wins back/recovers.

Yep, there should be some other way for defenders to earn points, bar the odd few defenders they are not very likely to get that many goals or assists.
    Think they need to be made more attractive so with greater choice we all do not end up with much the same team in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

for example on the champions league fantasy football a defender earns 1 point for every ball he wins back/recovers.

Isn't it something like 1 point for every 2 or 3 "ball winning" movements? A point for each one would be a bit much.

But yes, I would love to see this implemented in some form. Not just great for defenders, it also makes midfielders like Scott Parker realistic options.

carlcon wrote: »
    Isn't it something like 1 point for every 2 or 3 "ball winning" movements? A point for each one would be a bit much.

But yes, I would love to see this implemented in some form. Not just great for defenders, it also makes midfielders like Scott Parker realistic options.

Sorry ya it was for every 5 balls recovered,but like you say it would make many more defensive minded players much more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Would like to see:

- defensive midfielders come into it in some way (maybe as noted above)

- point(s) for clearances of the line

- captain cut to 1.5 times points rather than double

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

The x1.5 for captain comes up a lot, but I'm not too convinced by it. So what do we do when the captain scores an odd amount of points? Round up the half, or include decimals into the scoring? Neither seems viable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

shangri la wrote: »
    is it a holiday or do you work for one of the irish sites?

Work for William Hill Poker, based in Gibraltar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I want to see a bonus week instead of the Jan wildcard, where every player in your team scores double points. This can only be used once in the season and can't be used the same week as your wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Would like to see:

I think the x2 for captain gives the greatest pleasure and the greatest headaches, and would like to keep it. An alternative would be for a x1.5 for the vice-captain (round up or down by 0.5 points where necessary) plus x2 for captain. It would balance things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

captain double points removed completely

18 players in squad

bp system thrown in a furnace never a trace to be seen again

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Would like to see:

defo agree on the def mids idea. easy to implement scoring to reward this like they're doing in the fantasy euros

think double points for capt is ridiculous tbh, main focus should be to reward best starting 11's, capt choice as it is can ruin or make a week, some amount of luck comes into that, and i think it's bogus tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I would be curious to see what effect this would have.

How about really letting people use their squad, by allowing you to move people from your subs bench onto the first 11 right up until a closing deadline after the games have been played.

Not transfer in new players, but just use the players on your bench, no different to any manager.

It would change the dynamic sure, but it would also reward those who invest in a full squad rather than a first 11, as well as rewarding those who play regularly. Imagine it, no more clean sheets sitting on your bench...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

manual_man wrote: »

18 players in squad

In fact, double captain points is only thing which can make the difference to all our so same/similar squads

18 players in squad

In fact, double captain points is only thing which can make the difference to all our so same/similar squads

i wouldnt say that. dbl points is too much i think. 1.5 would maybe be ok. but if they increased squad size to 18 like i mentioned before, that would solve the issue of starting 11's looking too similar. Choosing the right players on the right day would involve more skill, and that's what the game needs i think

I dunno,I think 18 might be too big a jump.If they did that they might start changing some other stuff to accommodate it
    e.g increasing budget which probably lead to increased player prices,they might up the limit of players from a club and so on

I not saying its a bad idea just that they could make improvements elsewhere first

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

It aint broke, dont fix it imo. A huge part of the reason the EPL game remains the most popular compared to the rest of the games is its simplicity. It keeps people interested, its easy enough to play the game without investing oceans of time, you can know near to exact your score from a match when watching a match on TV. I wouldnt go messing with adding in passing points, play points or anything like that. Keep it simple and dont overcomplicate it.

Another reason is how well the site tends to work, although this has fallen back this year and some of the features they removed could be brough back. Last year when you clicked on the score of a match you got the full break down of each players score and how they got that score. Bring this back please. Another feature I'd like to see brought back is the league of leagues, would have been interesting to see how the Boards league did this season.

I dont mind the captaincy tbh, it does add something to the game and when the teams inevitably end up being similar it can be an important differential. Likewise the vice capt worked well this year with having a single replacement for a capt and not continuing to go down through the team based on form/value.

The bonus points this year were better than ever, I agree completely with removing human opinion from bonus points, its a stats based game so the BP's should be based on cold stats imo. That said there is definite tweaking needed in the forumla to assign the BP's. I would say though that the BP's need to be awarded on the evening of matches, not the next day or waiting till Monday. A major part of the game was lost I felt with BP's not arriving until the following day, the final positions not being known till almost 24 hrs after the end of the season was a bit anti-climatic also

KevIRL wrote: »
    Another reason is how well the site tends to work, although this has fallen back this year and some of the features they removed could be brough back. Last year when you clicked on the score of a match you got the full break down of each players score and how they got that score. Bring this back please.

Be good if they brought this back

• Advertisement

increasing squad to 18 or whatever just will increase chance for everyone to have same players. The less chance for wildcard/transfers , the less chance to have similar squads inside single week. Just have a look what is happening with transfers on Sunday/Monday. Everyone can just predict price fall/rise.

I dunno,I think 18 might be too big a jump.If they did that they might start changing some other stuff to accommodate it
    e.g increasing budget which probably lead to increased player prices,they might up the limit of players from a club and so on

I not saying its a bad idea just that they could make improvements elsewhere first

it's actually dead simple. one extra def, one extra mid, one extra attack. 20% budget increase. prices stay the same. funny thing is a premier league matchday squad is actually 18 players. and i don't think it would change participation at all, generally there's people that change their lineups every week, and then those that basically never change it at all (a smaller percentage). i, and i think some others might agree, found the game to get a bit boring at times this season 'coz starting 11's were so ruddy similar week-in-week-out, so i think an extra few players in ones' squad would do no harm. I can't agree with Kev on the bp's, i think most people found them just a joke really, i'd be for scrapping them altogether, all they did 99% of the time was award players that had scored or assisted anyway, off their arse or whatever, maybe not a flawed system, but just stupid

it's actually dead simple. one extra def, one extra mid, one extra attack. 20% budget increase. prices stay the same. funny thing is a premier league matchday squad is actually 18 players. and i don't think it would change participation at all, generally there's people that change their lineups every week, and then those that basically never change it at all (a smaller percentage). i, and i think some others might agree, found the game to get a bit boring at times this season 'coz starting 11's were so ruddy similar week-in-week-out, so i think an extra few players in ones' squad would do no harm. I can't agree with Kev on the bp's, i think most people found them just a joke really, i'd be for scrapping them altogether, all they did 99% of the time was award players that had scored or assisted anyway, off their arse or whatever, maybe not a flawed system, but just stupid

18 players squad, 20% increase in budget, ahh... now I can predict your forwards (as everyone sure can) RVP, Rooney, Aguero, Cisse/Jelavic. Plus remove double points for captain, then where is the difference?

18 players squad, 20% increase in budget, ahh... now I can predict your forwards (as everyone sure can) RVP, Rooney, Aguero, Cisse/Jelavic. Plus remove double points for captain, then where is the difference?

your starting 11's. come on, work with me bob lol

I suppose but could it lead to lads to just throwing away those extra spaces and filling them with the likes of 3 shane fergusons?
    Use the extra cash elsewhere whilst still retaining a good squad of 15

come on, man, you know what I am talking about. When I started reading this forum in January 2012 the main topic was, guess what "everyone squad is gonna look so similar after January wildcard". Even now, provided the is no transfers between clubs during summer you know your squad for 80% for first GW

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

I would like to see half points for your subs bench which would stop teams having 4 cheap non playing players and I think a hat trick bonus of ten points would also be good

your starting 11's. come on, work with me bob lol
    come on, man, you know what I am talking about. When I started reading this forum in January 2012 the main topic was, guess what "everyone squad is gonna look so similar after January wildcard". Even now, provided the is no transfers between clubs during summer you know your squad for 80% for first GW

I suppose but could it lead to lads to just throwing away those extra spaces and filling them with the likes of 3 shane fergusons?
    Use the extra cash elsewhere whilst still retaining a good squad of 15

that could work for you or against you. what i'm saying is it would bring an extra dynamic into the game. it would involve a little more thought, but with starting 11's being so similar in recent times, i think that's exactly what the game needs. i think most people could handle the extra pressure

:D

• Advertisement

bob i don't think you get me. squads can be similar (be it 15 players or 50), but when the squad size is a little bigger, that involves giving more thought to your starting 11 each week, who to play, who to leave out, and the permutations become much bigger... (think of lotto balls increasing from 42 to 45. lol. it's all maths :pac:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement