Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Pace2008 wrote: »
    And I might have issues with the sentiments of some of the Christian posters here, but that does not give me the right to start tarring them all with the same brush and make accusations against them bsed on what others have said.

I agree. which is why I referred to them posting elsewhere and quoted people from this thread.

Can you show me where i attributed something to you and the quote i used and if i mis attributed it Im happy to correct it?

Really?? wrote: »
    So what? You're anti-athiest, I don't see you apologise for it. I'm anti catholic, muslim, protestant.....any other religion you might care to mention. I don't see why anyone should apologise for being anti-religion. I don't discriminate, I think they're all equally idiotic.

and the true agenda is again exposed.
    Why should I not preach against them? I think I owe it to humanity to preach as loudly as I can against them and hopefully convert as many as I can, just like the religious do. They are not ashamed of what I regard as the nonsense they peddle, why should I be ashamed of what they regard as the nonsense I peddle? I have as much right to preach as anyone! Do I not?

Yes. but you will not be allowed to here in a discussion forum in that way.

Try usenet e.g. alt.atheism for unmoderated discussions where people like Fasgnadh will dismantle your arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Really??

ISAW wrote: »
    I suggest you search the forum on "problem of evil" "Leibniz"
    for some insight into "why doesnt God stop people falling over "?

Where are you quoting from here? How dare you belittle what happened to that two year old child. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    I did search as you suggested/deflected. It's rather simpler to me than it is to others. If god was in the room then he chose to let the child fall from the window. It's no more complicated than that. Sometimes it just is what it is.

and the true agenda is again exposed.

That's right. It is what it is. You've not "exposed" anything genius. I'm perfectly honest about it. You don't have to like it any more than I have to like the stuff you come out with. It's not a conspiracy, it's reason. You too can find it if you only open your heart to it and accept it as your savior; or not, up to you. :)

Yes. but you will not be allowed to here in a discussion forum in that way.

Fair enough, I'll not lose sleep.

Try usenet e.g. alt.atheism for unmoderated discussions where people like Fasgnadh will dismantle your arguments.

No thanks, I'm not really that obsessed about it, I don't spend any more time on it than it actually merits.

Where are you quoting from here?

Just do a search on this forum under "problem f evil" and educate yurself before we proceed would you?
    I did search as you suggested/deflected. It's rather simpler to me than it is to others.

so what do you have problems with where I and others discussed it here before?

If god was in the room then he chose to let the child fall from the window. It's no more complicated than that. Sometimes it just is what it is.

Indeed . And how does that make God responsible for bad things happening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Where are you quoting from here? How dare you belittle what happened to that two year old child. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    I did search as you suggested/deflected. It's rather simpler to me than it is to others. If god was in the room then he chose to let the child fall from the window. It's no more complicated than that. Sometimes it just is what it is.

I think you need to pause and reflect whether you want to discuss this rationally, or whether you want to get all emotional.

I personally would prefer it if people avoided exploiting or using the very recent tragic death of a small child to advance their religious views.

However, if you are determined to discuss this particular case, then be prepared to receive rational responses. ISAW's point is valid, in that we ask where you want to draw the line where God should overrule or not overrule our free will. Should God intervene and stop you falling over if you are dumb enough not to tie your shoe laces? Should He intervene if you are a negligent parent and continually allow your child to play on the rail of a balcony? How many times should he catch your child for you? Once a year? Once a week? Every five minutes? If you are a scabby landlord who uses substandard materials and fits unsafe windows on your apartments, should God bail you out by making sure no-one ever gets hurt by your sinful negligence?

(Please note, none of the above makes any assumptions about who or what caused the death of the particular child that is being used as a pawn in this discussion. I don't think any of us know enough about the circumstances to apportion blame or to discuss the reasons for that tragedy.)

Just do a search on this forum under "problem f evil" and educate yurself before we proceed would you?

so what do you have problems with where I and others discussed it here before?

Indeed . And how does that make God responsible for bad things happening?

In fact it doesn't. There is no more point in blaming god than there is point in blaming anything else that doesn't exist. Bad **** just happens, it's not bad because god says so, it's bad because I think it's bad for all the reasons that I think it is.

No thanks, I'm not really that obsessed about it, I don't spend any more time on it than it actually merits.

Except to admonish others for not taking it seriously enough it seems? Ironic.
    I shoud point out that atheists say atheism isnt a religioon

In the law about incitement to hatred “hatred” means hatred against a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation;

Being against Atheism isnt covered by it.

In fact it doesn't. There is no more point in blaming god than there is point in blaming anything else that doesn't exist

well this point had been dealt with also.

even if race does not exist one can be racist
    Even if christ does not exist one can be anti christian.
    Claiming they dont believe in the Jewish religion wont get nazis off the hook.

PDN wrote: »
    I think you need to pause and reflect whether you want to discuss this rationally, or whether you want to get all emotional.

I personally would prefer it if people avoided exploiting or using the very recent tragic death of a small child to advance their religious views.

However, if you are determined to discuss this particular case, then be prepared to receive rational responses. ISAW's point is valid, in that we ask where you want to draw the line where God should overrule or not overrule our free will. Should God intervene and stop you falling over if you are dumb enough not to tie your shoe laces? Should He intervene if you are a negligent parent and continually allow your child to play on the rail of a balcony? How many times should he catch your child for you? Once a year? Once a week? Every five minutes? If you are a scabby landlord who uses substandard materials and fits unsafe windows on your apartments, should God bail you out by making sure no-one ever gets hurt by your sinful negligence?

(Please note, none of the above makes any assumptions about who or what caused the death of the particular child that is being used as a pawn in this discussion. I don't think any of us know enough about the circumstances to apportion blame or to discuss the reasons for that tragedy.)

I see it as rather an emotive issue tbh. How can you not? How could anyone not?
    The point could however have been less adequately made with your shoelace example and be just as valid.

Wow! I just noticed this assumption you say you do not make (emboldened). Yes he bloody well should if he's to be of any use to us at all. Otherwise he can pi** right off, he's not worth respect.
    (Caveat: he doesn't exist so it's irrelavent)

• Advertisement

In the law about incitement to hatred “hatred” means hatred against a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation;

I don't hate you ISAW, relax. I just think your a fool in exactly the same way that you think I am one.

well this point had been dealt with also.

even if race does not exist one can be racist
    Even if christ does not exist one can be anti christian.
    Claiming they dont believe in the Jewish religion wont get nazis off the hook.

Straight for the comparison with Nazis eh. Didn't take you long to fall on familiar ground did it? Should I regard that as an attack on my belief system and be outraged? Howl injustice and persecution?
    Perhaps I won't bother today. You feel free though.

At least the point was dealt with to your satisfaction you mean. That's okay then. After all, that's all that really matters isn't it. It's not like anything I or anyone else might ever say could sway you in any way from your beliefs is it? I know there is absolutely no point to this conversation or forum. You'll still be here preaching your particular brand of nuts long after I've lost interest and moved away to more pressing matters in the real world where after you die you no more exist than you did before you were conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Who would argue it is a religion? :confused:

Cossax wrote: »
    Who would argue it is a religion? :confused:

Ah you've not been paying attention. ISAW would, in overly long posts that, after a while, no reasonable person would bother to read given that it's all just a restatement of what's come before. Instead you may find that after a while you will feel safe dismissing these ramblings in favour of getting on with the business of living your life over the business of preparing to die. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

PDN wrote: »

Considering you allowed someone to post a picture of a dead baby (that was born) in a dumpster in a thread debating early term Abortion in Ireland, you should really re-think that comment PDN.

Because that was using the "tragic death of a small child to advance their religious views."

Lest anyone get the wrong idea; I don't have "religious views", I have views on religion and the religious in that I think of them as deluded fools to be pitied in exactly the same way that I imagine they think of me. That however is just my personal opinion.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea; I don't have "religious views", I have views on religion and the religious in that I think of them as deluded fools to be pitied in exactly the same way that I imagine they think of me. That however is just my personal opinion.

yu are entitled to an opinion.
    But when you start acting on that opinion for example by suggesting Christians or Catholics for example are deluded or stupid or foolish then it is more than an opinion. You encourage others of a similar mindset. and it builds up. son a number of them are involved in thanking each others posts and complaining about posters not of the mindset.

Also if all you have is your opinion and no actual evidence references or scholarship to provide what is your purpose or consequence to a valid discussion other than hurling in the ditch?

yu are entitled to an opinion.
    But when you start acting on that opinion for example by suggesting Christians or Catholics for example are deluded or stupid or foolish then it is more than an opinion. You encourage others of a similar mindset. and it builds up. son a number of them are involved in thanking each others posts and complaining about posters not of the mindset.

Also if all you have is your opinion and no actual evidence references or scholarship to provide what is your purpose or consequence to a valid discussion other than hurling in the ditch?

That's right! I am!
    What others of a similar mindset choose to do is entirely up to them. I do not require thanks. I do not require anything of anyone and I certainly won't threaten eternal damnation for those who do not share my views. I am not trying to establish or consolidate a religion. I am an atheist. Of all the thousands of gods in recorded history, I believe in none. That's one three headed god less than you I imagine. However if such opinion does propagate I would not be displeased.
    What you and I will accept as factual evidence hold to two distinctly different, incompatible standards Sir! You are willing to accept things that I simply will not.
    I question in fact, the very validity to the dicussion to which you allude.
    There can be no valid conclusion to such a debate. No definitive proof can be offered. In the end, all that remains, is opinion is it not?
    Do you really believe you are doing any more than simply hurling in this ditch you speak of?
    What is your purpose for continuing? Is it perhaps that you wish to "encourage others of a similar mindset"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Unlike you, very few good Christians would make such a judgement.

Unlike you, very few good Christians would make such a judgement.

Surely a good christian would pity me my ignorance? Think me a fool for believing as I do? Would they not try to bring the light into my life so that I could be saved? If not, why not?

Apparently not though, I must say I am surprised!! Are you, as a "good Christian" not secretly angry and annoyed that I might question your beliefs? Maybe a little glad that I'll go to hell while you as a "good Christian" get to bask in the eternal happiness and love of the life you believe exists after this one? At least there'll be justice at the end of all days, isn't that it?

Well that's definitely what I thought so I humbly apologise to you "good Christian".

(Is that a title you gave yourself or was it given to you?)

• Advertisement

Surely a good christian would pity me my ignorance? Think me a fool for believing as I do? Would they not try to bring the light into my life so that I could be saved? If not, why not?

Apparently not though, I must say I am surprised!! Are you, as a "good Christian" not secretly angry and annoyed that I might question your beliefs? Maybe a little glad that I'll go to hell while you as a "good Christian" get to bask in the eternal happiness and love of the life you believe exists after this one? At least there'll be justice at the end of all days, isn't that it?

Well that's definitely what I thought so I humbly apologise to you "good Christian".

(Is that a title you gave yourself or was it given to you?)

I never called myself a good Christian, it was you who assumed it. I don't know where you got that from, but reading the sarcasm in your post, I'm not surprised you come to such conclusions.

I don't get annoyed with atheists, but I do pity them. Why wouldn't I? They believe in no afterlife, nothing after death. How can they even attempt to find meaning in life? That we're put on Earth for a reason? When things are bad, when all situations seem hopeless, I always wonder how atheists manage with their refusal to turn to God when he is there.

I pray for people who don't believe in God, and I sincerely hope neither of us go to Hell.

However, the tone of your post is one which is synonymous with atheists, unfortunately. It is one of condescension.

I never called myself a good Christian, it was you who assumed it. I don't know where you got that from, but reading the sarcasm in your post, I'm not surprised you come to such conclusions.

I don't get annoyed with atheists, but I do pity them. Why wouldn't I? They believe in no afterlife, nothing after death. How can they even attempt to find meaning in life? That we're put on Earth for a reason? When things are bad, when all situations seem hopeless, I always wonder how atheists manage with their refusal to turn to God when he is there.

I pray for people who don't believe in God, and I sincerely hope neither of us go to Hell.

However, the tone of your post is one which is synonymous with atheists, unfortunately. It is one of condescension.

So you do pity me. That seems not to seem condescending to you though? "the tone of your post is one which is synonymous with" atheists religious, "unfortunately. It is one of condescension".

Tell me, what is this reason that we are put here. It's nice to finally come across someone who has a definitive answer?

You're right, athiests believe in nothing after death and so must find their meaning in this life rather than the next. It's more rewarding than you think.

Well, I'm not an Atheist but this is just bizarre to me.

Why do need to believe in an afterlife to have a reason to live? Why turn to God to help you in times of need, instead of yourself and loved ones?

Humans weren't put on Earth for a reason, at least not a singular sense. Let's face it, 99% never really achieve anything great that shapes the world around us?

I faced some 14 years of severe depression, 6 years of alcohol and drug abuse. It wasn't God that helped me, it was my family, my children and my friends. They are the ones you should give credit to.

So you do pity me. That seems not to seem condescending to you though? "the tone of your post is one which is synonymous with" atheists religious, "unfortunately. It is one of condescension".

Tell me, what is this reason that we are put here. It's nice to finally come across someone who has a definitive answer?

You're right, athiests believe in nothing after death and so must find their meaning in this life rather than the next. It's more rewarding than you think.

I'm not God, so I couldn't tell you:) All I know is that we are here to please God, to follow his Word, to do good things(being charitable to your neighbour etc.) and to spread his Word. What harm is there in doing good works-which is what God wants?

I pity atheists. Maybe you view it as condescension, that is your choice. I view it as a natural human feeling. If you pity a homeless person on the street, is it condescension, or a natural reaction?

Regardless of whether you believe or not, it has nothing to do with me. It is between you and God. It has no effect on me-I am happy to live God's ways and couldn't imagine having a life of even remote happiness or completion without him.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well, I'm not an Atheist but this is just bizarre to me.

Why do need to believe in an afterlife to have a reason to live? Why turn to God to help you in times of need, instead of yourself and loved ones?

Humans weren't put on Earth for a reason, at least not a singular sense. Let's face it, 99% never really achieve anything great that shapes the world around us?

I faced some 14 years of severe depression, 6 years of alcohol and drug abuse. It wasn't God that helped me, it was my family, my children and my friends. They are the ones you should give credit to.

If I was in your position I would of course give massive credit to my family AND God. That is your view. I respect it. I never said you need to believe in an afterlife to achieve meaning.

. How can they even attempt to find meaning in life?

You said exactly that!

If I was in your position I would of course give massive credit to my family AND God. That is your view. I respect it. I never said you need to believe in an afterlife to achieve meaning.

Why would I thank God? Under your belief, God makes us as we are, yes?

Well then why did he give me horrific night terrors from the age of 4, for no apparent reason? And I don't mean the usual scary things, but actual gore. I dreamt of autopsies of my friends in primary school when I was 5 years old and so much worse.
    I still have them to this day.

Why would I thank God for a chemical imbalance in my brain which has been the biological cause of my depression since the age of 12? How about the blood disorder I have? The one that almost killed me.

Or is this Gods plan to show me he loves me really, even if he likes to be a bit of a douche at times?

You said exactly that!

Yes, but I never said that believing in an afterlife is the meaning of life.

I'm not God, so I couldn't tell you:) All I know is that we are here to please God, to follow his Word, to do good things(being charitable to your neighbour etc.) and to spread his Word. What harm is there in doing good works-which is what God wants?

I pity atheists. Maybe you view it as condescension, that is your choice. I view it as a natural human feeling. If you pity a homeless person on the street, is it condescension, or a natural reaction?

Regardless of whether you believe or not, it has nothing to do with me. It is between you and God. It has no effect on me-I am happy to live God's ways and couldn't imagine having a life of even remote happiness or completion without him.

So for me it's condescension and for you a natural reaction. Seems a bit unfair of you.
    I am not here to please God! If you are, well then you are. Good for you! As I originally said, I pity you in the same way you pity me.

• Advertisement

So for me it's condescension and for you a natural reaction. Seems a bit unfair of you.
    I am not here to please God! If you are, well then you are. Good for you! As I originally said, I pity you in the same way you pity me.

I don't think so:) but I wish you all the best in life anyway-God bless:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement