Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casey Cablesurf expanding to Waterford

• 14-02-2004 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I've been hearing rumours from numerous people lately that Casey's are gonna be expanded their service, and providing for Waterford city as well as Dungarvan/Abbeyside. I'll be down in Dungarvan myself on Friday thru Monday and will be asking in the office there if it's true, but I'm just wondering has anyone else heard about this? Or can someone verify it?

Great news if its true. Like I said the parents are there so I get to use their line anytime i'm down there. It's shockingly good. 4MB unmetered line for €40 a month. I've done numerous tests using bit torrent, ftp sites etc, and always get at least 200k/s download speeds. It makes my pants dance :D

I'm just sorry they only upgraded the line after I moved out tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

hope it is id go for it

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I hope so too, then i can get rid of the Esat Bt package that I'm on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Don't NTL do Waterford town?

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Don't NTL do Waterford town?

Nope they dont, never have, they might do it now with the man fibre ring, but I wouldnt hold out hope for it

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Since Waterford city is one of the ntl franchise (read: monopoly) areas, other operators are permanently locked out...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by shinzon
    Nope they dont, never have, they might do it now with the man fibre ring, but I wouldnt hold out hope for it
    I meant Cable TV. If NTL are doing cable TV in Waterford town then Casey Cable are unlikely install their own cable from scratch in that area in parallel with NTL.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    I meant Cable TV. If NTL are doing cable TV in Waterford town then Casey Cable are unlikely install their own cable from scratch in that area in parallel with NTL.

oh right misunderstood soz

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    I've been hearing rumours from numerous people lately that Casey's are gonna be expanded their service, and providing for Waterford city as well as Dungarvan/Abbeyside

i would hope they come my way first seeing as i am 100 meters or so from there cable as it is. with the road due to be dug up soon hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by JHMEG
    Since Waterford city is one of the ntl franchise (read: monopoly) areas, other operators are permanently locked out...
    NTL and Chorus lost their exclusivity status over a year ago. Theres nothing to stop any company competing directly with either of them on their home turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Moriarty
    NTL and Chorus lost their exclusivity status over a year ago. Theres nothing to stop any company competing directly with either of them on their home turf.
    But before anyone gets their hopes up, bear in mind that it's a bit easier to roll out cable in "virgin" territory than in territory where a significant number of houses may already have cable from a competitor, and not be terribly interested in changing providers, or allowing the competitors cable to cross their house to get to their neighbours.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is highly unlikely that parallel infrastructure would be installed in Waterford city. I know of nowhere where this has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If ntl and chorus have lost their monopolies then is the cable equivalent of Local Loop Unbundling ever going to happen in this country (like in the US)? Don't see why eircom alone should be forced to unbundle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Because to be frank, most of the cable infrastucture is so crap, its not worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by JHMEG
    If ntl and chorus have lost their monopolies then is the cable equivalent of Local Loop Unbundling ever going to happen in this country (like in the US)? Don't see why eircom alone should be forced to unbundle...
    Because, in very simple terms, there are 100 telephone lines serving 100 houses, but there's only one coaxial cable serving all of those same houses. Even if NTL don't plan to offer broadband over it, they're still using it to deliver television signals, and they can't do that if they sell it to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Just a quick update on this. Unfortunatly, when I went into their office in Dungarvan today and asked about this, the 2 women in there were clueless about it, and were unable to either confirm or deny whether Casey's were expanding.

No idea where else I could ask/ring about it, so this seems to have staled for the moment. Sorry to get some people's hopes up, but it may still happen. Never know :confused:

Advertisement