Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Text service being removed from Eircom Landlines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That price includes VAT.

So, are you telling me I'm being charged €232 to have it installed?

Insurance, road tax etc business expenses surley tax deductable?!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Lol

What's so funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

If you ring a company to clear a blocked drain you will pay call out charge & an hourly rate
    If you call an IT company out they also will charge by the hour & not cheap.

That is a very good price as that company
    1st Must collect your equipment
    2nd Drive to your premises
    3rd Strip out your old alarm panel
    4th Install your new control panel, test & commission
    5th Do you an invoice , lodge your payment
    6th Give you a 3 year warranty

7th If it is a registered company they have the following expenses

PSA Licence
    NSAI or EQA Licence
    Public & Product Insurance
    Stationery
    Bank Charges
    Account Fees
    Vehicle payments & servicing
    Tax. & Insurance
    Diesel
    Toll & parking expenses

There a lot of costs involved & you factor them all in that company has no big profit margin on your quotation

If you ring a company to clear a blocked drain you will pay call out charge & an hourly rate

PSA Licence
    NSAI or EQA Licence
    Stationery
    Bank Charges
    Account Fees
    Tax. & Insurance
    Diesel
    Toll & parking expenses

There a lot of costs involved & you factor them all in that company has no big profit margin on your quotation

PSA Licence
    NSAI or EQA Licence
    Stationery
    Bank Charges
    Account Fees
    Tax. & Insurance
    Diesel
    Toll & parking expenses

Come on now. The cost to install is more than the device cost!!!

• Advertisement

Come on now. The cost to install is more than the device cost!!![/

Ok if you asked an Electrican to change a fuse board what way do think there charges would be and their RECI licence is a lot cheaper than ours
    Just an example

You should get two more quotations for the same job and compare them .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can I ask where that price list is from?
    If that price includes vat a few reps will be getting calls from me.

KoolKid wrote: »

I'm not sure but it was posted in this forum a year or two ago.

I can sure see why it would aggravate a lot of installers...

Is the price on that list incorrect? How much does it cost to buy that panel?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's convenient. You come on here making claims re the prices you post and you have nothing to back it up.
    I would suggest that those prices have increased in the past couple of years. I would also suggest that they are exclusive of vat. No suppliers would create a price list that includes vat.
    As advised, get a few quotes and see how you get on. The percentage of price related to the equipment price is irrelevant.
    If I replace something that costs €10 should I charge you €15?

• Advertisement

That's convenient. You come on here making claims re the prices you post and you have nothing to back it up.
    I would suggest that those prices have increased in the past couple of years. I would also suggest that they are exclusive of vat. No suppliers would create a price list that includes vat.
    As advised, get a few quotes and see how you get on. The percentage of price related to the equipment price is irrelevant.
    If I replace something that costs €10 should I charge you €15?

I'll find where it was posted and from memory the person who posted it said it included VAT. You posted on the thread at the time and no mention was made that the price list was incorrect nor was it removed or asked to be taken down.

Look, all I want to know how much the item costs and how much for the install. Simple.

As a rule there should be no trade prices listed here. But I'll leave that for the mods of this forum to decide on.
    There is a supplier sticky at the top of the forum. You can contact some of them re prices. It's funny how much you want installation and equipment broken down, but your not interested when lad here have broken down the installation costs for you.

As a rule there should be no trade prices listed here. But I'll leave that for the mods of this forum to decide on.
    There is a supplier sticky at the top of the forum. You can contact some of them re prices. It's funny how much you want installation and equipment broken down, but your not interested when lad here have broken down the installation costs for you.

Look, they are business costs. If any customer saw that the cost of the equipment was €218 and the cost of the install was €232 they would be shocked I'd imagine. I do not think the cost of that item would have risen that much in 1-2 years. How much does the equipment cost now by itself? PM me if you do not want to publicise it.

How much do you think it would cost a builder to build a 3 Bed Semi and then what price would it be sold for. Would you ask the auctioneer or builder for a break down ?

I think a simple solution for you would be to purchase the panel yourself & pay a company to fit it . You might save a few euro but very little .
    The pitfall in doing this is that if you had any issues within the warranty life of the equipment. Whatever company installed it for you would Charge you for coming out as they would have not Supplied the equipment only The Fitting Of It.
    So your contract would be with the wholesaler .
    We install a lot of Siemens and I can honestly tell you that is a good price you were given.
    Again get 3 more quotations to supply & fit from well established lregistered companies
    Every company needs to make some profit no matter what business they are in . If they don't they don't stay in business .
    We are business's 19 years now and it hasn't been easy and still is not .
    I think most companies in different trades are just trying to cover costs & keep going.
    You would be more than welcome to come & visit our premises any time & I would personally give you an insight to costs in running a good company in the Security Industry.
    And I mean this in the nicest way possible.

How much do you think it would cost a builder to build a 3 Bed Semi and then what price would it be sold for. Would you ask the auctioneer or builder for a break down ?

I think a simple solution for you would be to purchase the panel yourself & pay a company to fit it . You might save a few euro but very little .
    The pitfall in doing this is that if you had any issues within the warranty life of the equipment. Whatever company installed it for you would Charge you for coming out as they would have not Supplied the equipment only The Fitting Of It.
    So your contract would be with the wholesaler .
    We install a lot of Siemens and I can honestly tell you that is a good price you were given.
    Again get 3 more quotations to supply & fit from well established lregistered companies
    Every company needs to make some profit no matter what business they are in . If they don't they don't stay in business .
    We are business's 19 years now and it hasn't been easy and still is not .
    I think most companies in different trades are just trying to cover costs & keep going.
    You would be more than welcome to come & visit our premises any time & I would personally give you an insight to costs in running a good company in the Security Industry.
    And I mean this in the nicest way possible.

Will do and I completely understand a company making a profit etc.. But when I saw the price of the panel at €218 and the total price I was quoted at €450 you can understand.

Will do and I completely understand a company making a profit etc.. But when I saw the price of the panel at €218 and the total price I was quoted at €450 you can understand.

There. Is no way you could be getting a Siemens control panel at that price incl vat
    I would love to see the invoice or quotation from wholesaler

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

The price you got is great, was actually surprised you got such a low quote for that panel and install which is a lot dearer than you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Hkc are bringing out a version of gsm-q which will work with the old sw8/12 panels without the need for any software upgrade. I was told it will retail for 180 plus vat.
    I think they are also bringing out a version of gsm-sc which will work with sw8/12 panels and allow those old sytems to work with the hkc app. That will retail a bit cheaper than the above price but I have forgotten how much it was exactly. However to get this to work you have to subscribe to securecom service for 60 euro per annum.
    They also mentioned a solution where they will allow people who are about to lose this service to use existing landlines to still send texts via their own hkc server which means that you will not need any new equipment at all. All you will need to do is change the server number programmed in your panel from the eircoms to theirs. However they mentioned a subscription charge as yet to be decided. I was told 40 euro per annum is the ballpark.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok guys,

I just removed all the last few posts.

Please don't all PM me asking why, I'll tell you here in one go.

Please ask/direct App questions to the sticky.

Please leave the commercial dealing of businesses to other forums somewhere else on the internet, i.e HKC's costs, Siemens costs, Eircoms costs etc

Please don't PM me to tell me about dual accounts posting here, there is nothing I can do about it if its happening, I have found no evidence of it. I am aware of the concerns, if you can prove it let me know. the tools provided by boards.ie have not shown a dual account, I know they can be fooled, so unless you have a tool that can get me there i don't need to know about it. I have noted it though.

Please keep trade prices off the forum, if you find them there, PM me rather than open a debate about it, thanks

Please don't PM me to ask why your post was deleted even if it contained none of the reasons above.

I don't need advise about how to mod the forum, or calls from other mods about how unfairly some users are being treated, or think they are being treated.

Nobody has time for tribunals, there is an even hand being taken on these posts.

I genuinely appreciate the reported posts, but we have a sticky for app comparisons that users should be directed to, this eventually worked on the LED sticky on the Electrical forum and it will work here too if we all send people there.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Will my monitored alarm still work, when Eircom withdraw. Will my alarm still send a signel to my monitoring company even if it dosnt send me a text????

• Advertisement

Monitoring to a central station will not be affected. Those signals are not sent by text.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yes calls to monitoring stations will still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Hkc are bringing out a version of gsm-q which will work with the old sw8/12 panels without the need for any software upgrade. I was told it will retail for 180 plus vat.
    I think they are also bringing out a version of gsm-sc which will work with sw8/12 panels and allow those old sytems to work with the hkc app. That will retail a bit cheaper than the above price but I have forgotten how much it was exactly. However to get this to work you have to subscribe to securecom service for 60 euro per annum.
    They also mentioned a solution where they will allow people who are about to lose this service to use existing landlines to still send texts via their own hkc server which means that you will not need any new equipment at all. All you will need to do is change the server number programmed in your panel from the eircoms to theirs. However they mentioned a subscription charge as yet to be decided. I was told 40 euro per annum is the ballpark.

HKC have a weird notion with that App unit for the likes of the 8/12, obsolete panels now with a new device. I would not like to be trying to explain myself to one of my clients in a years time if their keypad or whatever is faulty and they have to invest in another panel and therefore another GSM unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »
    HKC have a weird notion with that App unit for the likes of the 8/12, obsolete panels now with a new device. I would not like to be trying to explain myself to one of my clients in a years time if their keypad or whatever is faulty and they have to invest in another panel and therefore another GSM unit.

You do know the same unit will work with the 10/70 also?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

kub wrote:

So you propose anyone who wants the app unit should replace a working 8/12 panel just because its old. Being old doesn't mean it wouldn't co
    ntinue to work for years past it sell by date look at Gay Byrne !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If they've set up their own PSTN to SMS gateway, then all anyone will need to do is setup an account and set the new service centre numbers on their panel.

SMS service isn't built into the eircom PSTN network. It's just a bit of a hack that uses Caller ID and modems to transmit the messages. Anyone can do that by just setting up their own service. So it's something monitoring companies could easily duplicate for this purpose. Also as far as I'm aware alarm panels only send data and were never capable of receiving incoming SMS. That makes the service centre even easier!

hatchman wrote: »
    So you propose anyone who wants the app unit should replace a working 8/12 panel just because its old. Being old doesn't mean it wouldn't co
    ntinue to work for years past it sell by date look at Gay Byrne !

I doubt there are many systems out there being maintained or getting the TLC as I am sure that gentleman receives and is indeed welcome too.
    I am an installer and I am not going too promote this option.

Just for the record, I am still maintaining systems that are over 20 years old, so I have no issues with the age of something it is reliability is the issue.
    So HKC get to have their cake and eat it.

altor wrote: »
    You do know the same unit will work with the 10/70 also?

It won't, according to the HKC rep I spoke with.

Talking to Rep also
    Also told it the same

Where does this guy get his incorrect information from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »
    It won't, according to the HKC rep I spoke with.

Its not a straight swap but can be coded to work with the 10/70.

Advertisement