Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive O2 problem

• 20-10-2004 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Your gonna laugh when you hear my situation! but its causinng me alot of grief.

Sometime around January my girlfriend went on the pill. She asked me to remind her everyday at 7 to take it, so I used O2's automatic text service on the internet to do it everyday. This is a great service I thought!

In April I changed to Meteor (a far superior phone company). O2 continued sending out the messages. I was away all summer and when I returned I discovered that the messages are still being sent. This wouldn't be a problem except I am no longer with my girlfiend! As you can imagine she is quite angry and I can see her point as its harrasament now. Both of us want this stopped.She is talking about reporting me to the guards.

I've been on to O2 numerous times and they haven't cancelled the messages yet. They can't figure out how to do it! Last Friday I made a complaint to Comreg. They have done nothing.

What options do I have? I was thinking of maybe using the data protection act angle? Write them a letter saying I want all my information removed from their system. Will that have any effect?

Or report them to the guards for sending abusive messages? Because at this stage they are.

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Can you not deactivate through the www.o2.ie login and into your misc text options there ?

I had a text sent every time a mail came in to o2.ie from a specific email address (not timed) and activated and deactivated it through the interface as I needed it.

[edit]
    On reflection.... after looking at it ......this interface has changed in the past 6 months. Has anybody bookmarked any of the old dol.ie web text option pages that may still be on the o2.ie server but unlinked ? .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

if you set it up through www.o2.ie you must remove it from there also. we have all done it. I dont think its fair to expect o2 to sort out something that you can and are supposed to do yourself. i have set up several of these in the past and it takes about 30 seconds to log on and cancel them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think the problem is that he's no longer with O2?
    and as such, probably cant access the webtext part of the O2 site?

The feature he's talking about allows you to send a webtext with a timer, and they can be set to repeat every X days.
    If he cant turn it off its up to the techies in O2.ie, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

She sounds like a loverly girls too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Is it possible to get your ex girlfriend to phone up O2 and get your number blocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

psssst....ring up their Customer care - tell them your "O2 Scheduled GroupTexts" are still being sent even though you "Ported to Meteor" and give them the username of your o2.ie account that you set it up on......
    Give them two days.....

This has happened me before but without the embarasing girlfriend thing...

<puff, puff>

Mmmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

El Reg have picked up on this thread. Full story here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/o2_contraception_rap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

smokingman wrote:
    psssst....ring up their Customer care - tell them your "O2 Scheduled GroupTexts" are still being sent even though you "Ported to Meteor" and give them the username of your o2.ie account that you set it up on......
    Give them two days.....
    In fairness, I suspect that this is the best course of action. It’s quite likely that simply telling them that there’s a problem won’t suffice, as they won’t know where to even begin looking. Spoon-feeding the actual solution to a bureaucracy is generally the most efficient way of getting a resolution.
    Fungus wrote:
    El Reg have picked up on this thread.
    And the lesson today, boys and girls, is in cyberspace everyone can hear you scream.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fungus wrote:
    El Reg have picked up on this thread.
    Oh dear. You're famous steve!

Don't worry about her getting onto the Gardai (as someone said, sounds like a nice girl!). You have proof about your attempts to have the service stopped, and also the fact that it was originally set up under agreement with her and with legitimate intent. The messages aren't being sent by you, nor from your account (seeing as you no longer have an account with O2), so you're not liable.

If anything O2 can be threatened with fraudulent misrepresentation and impersonation (assuming the messages are being sent with your phone number).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hehehe Steve looks like you have gone global man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

So did someone send this thread to them or does the Register person read boards.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Linkage please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flapole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mmmm_danone

I have a mate who works for the interweb side of O2, send me on your old username and I'll give him a call for you?

Unless its fame you're craving and these messages are non-existent... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

You probably have tried this already but why not try to log into their website using your old number and password.
    Just because you no longer have the account doesn't mean that its inaccessible. They must have the information somewhere if the messages are still being sent and maybe its still accessible by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Sorry I haven't written back until now.

Its got fixed on Sunday. After 4 weeks of ringing them constantly! I was really pissed off on Friday and said that I would be getting in contact with a solicitor next week. That seemed to get things moving. My battle with o2 is finaly over!

Just so you know it wasn't a case of just logging into my account and changing the settings. The first time I called up they cancelled my account. They couldn't understand why they were still going out. But all is well now. Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bumble bee

hi steve, man i can only simpathize with you, I also are having problems with o2. I have now switched over to vodafone was having problem logging on and using webtext which i thought were great at the start you know you think you have a euro left go to use the phone and bummer of course jump on the webtext and as i thought "sorted" you must be joking can,t even get past password. I,ve called and emailed them like 1000 times and are fed up at this stage good luck with your problem.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

bumble bee wrote: »
    hi steve, man i can only simpathize with you, I also are having problems with o2. I have now switched over to vodafone was having problem logging on and using webtext which i thought were great at the start you know you think you have a euro left go to use the phone and bummer of course jump on the webtext and as i thought "sorted" you must be joking can,t even get past password. I,ve called and emailed them like 1000 times and are fed up at this stage good luck with your problem.

You do realise that the last post on this thread is four years old??

Think Steve has well moved on prob has a young family at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Mods, suggest thread is locked for posterity.
    Must keep the place tidy now that we have visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bumble bee

sorry bout that hands up only first time on boards.ie apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

:D Welcome to Boards.ie.

Lesson one : Always check the date of a thread when you do a search.

In next week's lesson, we learn how to make a time machine out of a roll of tinfoil, a microwave and an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

Welcome to Boards !
    For what it's worth I didn't notice the year either.
    Freaky that the last post was 26/10 which is like tomorrow.

*trundles off in search of glasses*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lol @ stereo_steve and his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    :D Welcome to Boards.ie.

Lesson one : Always check the date of a thread when you do a search.

In next week's lesson, we learn how to make a time machine out of a roll of tinfoil, a microwave and an iPhone.

Dude... You're forgetting the toilet roll insert and the sticky back plastic. You know it won't work without those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Welcome to Boards.

/click

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement