Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

• 08-08-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,951 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As well as to feature Batman now Lex Luthor will also be in with Mark Strong a leading contender to play Lex

Source

A good choice for Lex if it happens imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be a fantastic choice. Wouldn't be too pushed about seeing it before, but great casting like that certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

picture.php?albumid=1458&pictureid=14906

A good cast if they can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I seriously hope they were taking the piss in considering Ryan Gosling as the new Batman... Unless they want it like Batman and Robin (and by that, i mean camp and shít!)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah I like Gosling but don't think he'd suit Batman, doesn't have the voice for it. Brolin would be a great choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Definitely need to go the older Batman route, this could play out like a modern western: the jaded older gunslinger and the bright-eyed, idealistic youngster riding alongside him. Brolin could definitely do that. Having a young Batman alongside a young Superman just seems kind of pointless to me, Batman can't use his physicality, he has to rely on his gadgets and cunning, so an older Batman certainly appeals to me.

Mark Strong would be an excellent Lex Luthor, he can play that superficial charm hiding his true persona of a ruthless sociopath. Certainly better than some suggestion I saw about Bruce Willis. He has the voice too, one of my favourite Lex Luthors was the animated version simply because Clancy Brown is an excellent voice actor.

My only worry is that Snyder seems more in control of this one. I don't want to see 2 hours of chiselled abs and slo-mo, I'd like a really well thought out relationship between Batman and Superman that isn't just a chance to showcase some video-game style combo sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah I like Gosling but don't think he'd suit Batman, doesn't have the voice for it. Brolin would be a great choice though.

Brolin would be superb as the older batman from the Dark Knight returns.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Brolin would be superb as the older batman from the Dark Knight returns.

He's too young to play Batman at that age imo (he's 55 in the comic). I also think he's a bit too old to play Batman in this new film, though he would be good in the role no doubt.

I think an older Batman would be good for this but not Dark Knight Returns old. They'd be backing themselves into a corner of they make him too old. I think an actor in their late thirties would be about right. Older than Cavill but not way older.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,951 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Several sites have already got in on the act, throwing up
    the likes of Josh Brolin (Oldboy), Ryan Gosling (Only God Forgives), Joe
    Manganiello (True Blood), Richard Armitage (The Hobbit), Max Martini (Pacific
    Rim), Matthew Goode (Watchmen), Josh Duhamel (Transformers), Jude Law (Sherlock
    Holmes), Gerard Butler (300), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Brad Pitt (World War Z), Ben
    Affleck (Argo) and Jim Caviezel (Person of Interest) as possibilities for the
    role of Batman. And now we can add another name to that list, with Think McFly
    Think claiming that director Zack Snyder is looking at another Watchmen star in
    Jeffrey Dean Morgan, with the two apparently set to meet to discuss the
    role.

None of them stand out as a potential Batman/Bruce Wayne for me not even Brolin tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's too young to play Batman at that age imo (he's 55 in the comic). I also think he's a bit too old to play Batman in this new film, though he would be good in the role no doubt.

I think an older Batman would be good for this but not Dark Knight Returns old. They'd be backing themselves into a corner of they make him too old. I think an actor in their late thirties would be about right. Older than Cavill but not way older.

A bit of makeup would sort Brolin I reckon. I think he would have the correct build, voice and acting style to pull it off.

Would you take Brolin as the Batman of an age you outline in your second paragraph?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Brolin is a bit short (5'9" or 10") and I think his body proportions would be a problem. He's got a very big frame but short arms and legs which would be even more noticeable in a Batman suit.

Then again they almost made a film with Nic Cage as Superman, so anything is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A bit of makeup would sort Brolin I reckon. I think he would have the correct build, voice and acting style to pull it off.

Would you take Brolin as the Batman of an age you outline in your second paragraph?

I'd take him but would prefer someone 5 or 6 years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brolin is a bit short (5'9" or 10") and I think his body proportions would be a problem. He's got a very big frame but short arms and legs which would be even more noticeable in a Batman suit.

Then again they almost made a film with Nic Cage as Superman, so anything is possible.

Yeah but it was never an issue with Michael Keaton either and he's not a big guy (even if it wasn't him in a lot of shots with the suit). They managed to make Tom Hardy look imposing and he's a few inches shorter than Christian Bale, can do wonders with camera placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Gosling would be cast to stand around, have a blank look on his face, utter maybe 5 lines throughout the movie, and have an insanely violent streak to him.

All to a synth soundtrack with imagery soaked in neons. :pac:

Seriously though, none of the "proposed" actors seem to stand out as ones who'd fill Bat's boots.

Brolin would be my favourite out of that list.

Gosling would be good as The Riddler

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Spannend

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah but it was never an issue with Michael Keaton either and he's not a big guy (even if it wasn't him in a lot of shots with the suit). They managed to make Tom Hardy look imposing and he's a few inches shorter than Christian Bale, can do wonders with camera placement.

With Tom Hardy that was a once off. The new batman would hopefully be in numerous movies.

Spannend wrote: »
    With Tom Hardy that was a once off. The new batman would hopefully be in numerous movies.

What difference does that make? Tom Cruise has been short his entire career but has never looked short on film :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

How about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 in your face

I'm calling the plot now, will probably be very wrong but it would fit with a few things which stood out for me in MOS. If I'm wrong I know the good people of the Boards community won't be wrong in letting me know, so here goes....

...the key is the Kryptonian armor. If as I think I read online previously, Snyder stated that Kryptonite is a non starter (not sure if only for MOS or for any subsequent MOS or indeed JL movies) then it stands to reason. In MOS when Zod is threatening Ma Kent Supes rocks in and takes him on a tour of Smallville. He absolutely pummels him through the cornfields, they destroy a silo and then cause a filling station to kapooya. Zod is the first to get up while Supes struggles to get to his feet initially. That armor took a fair battering, between all the super powered punches and explosion. The next "clue" as I see in hindsight is also during the battle of Smallville. When the tank busters are strafing town the first time the tall Kryptonian (Non?) gets knocked on his backside by a burst from the Gatling gun while Faora gets knocked for six in the missle hit. The armor seems to come through unscathed and without a scratch, while it seems the Kryptonians can be at least slowed down, if not knocked off their feet if enough firepower or kinetic energy is thrown at them.

Finally, in the final Zod - Supes battle when Zod rips off his armor on the construction site (was it a LexCorp site?) did I imagine it floating in the shot where you can see Supes in the background? I contend that the materials of the armor are "smart" and take on the abilities of the wearer enhanced invulnerability, flight etc.

This is how any on screen battle between Supes and Bats will be plausible. BW will assist LL in the rebuilding of Metropolis and be naturally suspicious of Supes, considering it was Supes that inadvertently brought Zod et al to Kansas. Being one of the richest and smartest men on the planet he will no doubt come up with his own suit derived from the Kryptonian armor found on site which will enable to go toe to toe with Supes, before finally realising that LL is the true enemy of mankind. Hence an uneasy alliance will be formed between Supes and Bats which will sow the seeds for the Justice League universe.

I am probably wrong, but at least in my head it makes some sense. I fully expect to be forensically dissected and/or brutally ripped asunder!!

It's been a long standing "idea" that Kryptonian's generate a small field around their bodies that protects any clothing they are wearing.

I think this was brought in so that artists didn't have to constantly worry about adding damage to his costume, drawing him naked every time he walked through a fire, or have to bother explaining how he repairs his costume after every encounter.

This is never mentioned explicitly in the film, but they skip on lots of things. I don't know about your armor theory, it doesn't seem ludicrous, but at the same time I think it would have been more ludicrous to have a bunch of Kryptonians battling naked in the streets of Smallville. I wouldn't have been opposed to a naked Faora though.

Also, there may not be Kryptonite in Snyder's universe, and without the ability to replicate the Kryptonian atmosphere, Batman could go the route of the comics (see Red Son) and employ a "Red Sun" generator, or simply a weapon that emits a radiation signature matching a Red Giant to depower Superman. Essentially the same as Kryptonite, but it would be a nice gadget for Batman to design and develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

How about Nikolaj Coster-Waldau?

Too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

He can definitely play younger than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Also, there may not be Kryptonite in Snyder's universe, and without the ability to replicate the Kryptonian atmosphere, Batman could go the route of the comics (see Red Son) and employ a "Red Sun" generator, or simply a weapon that emits a radiation signature matching a Red Giant to depower Superman. Essentially the same as Kryptonite, but it would be a nice gadget for Batman to design and develop.

Snyder has already gone on record to say Kryptonite does exist when asked about its absence in the first film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's been a long standing "idea" that Kryptonian's generate a small field around their bodies that protects any clothing they are wearing.

I think this was brought in so that artists didn't have to constantly worry about adding damage to his costume, drawing him naked every time he walked through a fire, or have to bother explaining how he repairs his costume after every encounter.

This is never mentioned explicitly in the film, but they skip on lots of things. I don't know about your armor theory, it doesn't seem ludicrous, but at the same time I think it would have been more ludicrous to have a bunch of Kryptonians battling naked in the streets of Smallville. I wouldn't have been opposed to a naked Faora though.

Naked Faora would have worked well.

Think it's called the aura effect. Remember it being discussed in "Lois & Clark" during a visit to Star Labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't want a lot of batman in this movie. By all means make another batman movie (preferably with JGL in the lead), or go all out on Justice league, but just give me another superman movie with just a little interaction.

The danger with this one is the anticipation & hype will outshine the movie.

I seriously hope they were taking the piss in considering Ryan Gosling as the new Batman... Unless they want it like Batman and Robin (and by that, i mean camp and shít!)

Orlando Bloom latest name linked for Batman surely he is worse than Gosling

Would Bale ever consider a comeback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

What about Michael fass bender for batman ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I skimmed across some talk the other day that Lex Luthor might actually be played by... Brian Cranston.

lex.png?w=618&h=408&crop=1

Forbes deleted its leading article on the subject though, so take that with a pinch of salt

Much too old I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Much too old I would have thought.

I'd watch Bryan Cranston play Lois Lane tbh.

Advertisement