Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to wear professional team gear..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    "euro ****" What's the opposite? Fred tossers?

You can't toss a Fred. They're too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

"euro ****" What's the opposite? Fred tossers?
    I know a Fred Tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I love my Mapei kit. I have the full collection - socks, shorts, jersey, armwarmers and biretta.

I couldn't care less how ridiculous it looks - anyone who has seen me on a bike knows how ridiculous I look cycling anyway.

I also have Liberty Seguros, Reynolds Aluminium, Z.

I have a lovely Giro pink jersey that I have worn twice - both times I got three punctures and needed help to get home. I'm taking that as a message from the cycling gods. Don't wear it any longer (too big for me now).

I would draw the line at current pro team kit. Also I think wearing of boards gear is cringeworthy to be honest ( even though I like the design of it). Turbo training gear for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have no problem with any kit, I wear club gear, pro-team gear from recent seasons, cheap stuff I get off adverts or from bargain alerts (last years sky bottoms and the water damaged planet X tops) and boards gear. I would draw the line at the yellow and rainbow jersey myself but if others want to wear it feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wearing kit that's suggesting you achieved something when in fact you didn't is probably the wrong side of the line......

for example

.....wearing a polka dot jersey when you didn't go win it - wrong

.....wearing team kit - ok (you might be a failed domestique :))

.....wearing a football jersey embroidered with the date of a match is wrong as they give these to people who play in the match

....wearing replica football jerseys - ok

....using replica Man Utd jersey to clean the car - definitely ok

.....wearing GAA jerseys to Coppers - compulsory, especially in the latter stages of the Championships:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I hope that Lidl/Aldi don't have future plans to sponsor a professional cycling team,I'ld have to start cycling in the dark.

Interesting reading this thread, specially for a noob, I had to look up what a Fred is, still not sure as apparently the definition has changed. This euro cyclist mob is that a bit like DIR (Doing it Right) in scuba diving ?

I have a lightweight rain jacket with 'rugbytech' written accross the back, that'ld be right out, I presume.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm probably being a little OTT, but wearing World Champ, yellow, green, pink, polka dot jerseys or any other jersey with similar conotations is disrespectful to what that jersey stands for, it's something that needs to be earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

njburke wrote: »
    I hope that Lidl/Aldi don't have future plans to sponsor a professional cycling team,I'ld have to start cycling in the dark.

Interesting reading this thread, specially for a noob, I had to look up what a Fred is, still not sure as apparently the definition has changed. This euro cyclist mob is that a bit like DIR (Doing it Right) in scuba diving ?

I have a lightweight rain jacket with 'rugbytech' written accross the back, that'ld be right out, I presume.

Niall

Oh god that's crossing sports boundaries! Are you crazy? Rugby gear on a bike omg gimme a second to digest that :'(

Only messin hee hee

Ok I was gonna buy the giro jersey on the weekend. I can't now :( someone point me in a nice jersey direction please

allez wrote: »
    Oh god that's crossing sports boundaries! Are you crazy? Rugby gear on a bike omg gimme a second to digest that :'(

Only messin hee hee

Ok I was gonna buy the giro jersey on the weekend. I can't now :( someone point me in a nice jersey direction please

20120412-santini-giro-d-italia-fashion-2012-short-sleeve-jersey.jpg

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=2&ID=3123

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭allez

allez wrote: »
    njburke wrote: »

Niall

Only messin hee hee

Is there any rules on bikes like the team editions? I've seen the like of discovery treks and gerolsteiner specialized ones??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

I think whole mentality is comical, if you see a fella cycling with the tdf yellow jersey you know he didn't win it and only a select few real cyclists ever will.

As for wearing pro team gear, I would say in buying it you are showing support for a team as well as helping to finance it like the soccer clubs.

The vast majority never will compete pro or win any of the marque races.

And in regards wearing jerseys with dates et all, I have a number of gaa jerseys from different competions like all Ireland semi final Dublin jersey that I wear, I never for one minute pretend I was the one actually wearing it for the game.

I actually laugh a little at some of the replies at how elitist cycling people can be ie pro gear but wrong bike etc just a bit over the top to me

@DUBintheSTICKS - I think you missed the tone & point of the posts........

I don't believe I did, it's just my opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

I just ordered a Greenedge jersey & I cycle a Felt.

If someone doesn't like it, tough titty. I think it looks nice and that's all that matters

There's no point in comparing cycling to soccer or GAA, "cycling people" still have some level of class.

For the record, the tone of this post is dead pan serious and is made by someone trying his very best to keep all 54 euro rules while adding one or two of his own (they involve carrying chesse filled baguettes on morning rides). I measure sock to calf distance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In terms of putting money back into the sport, people pay my club good money to sponsor us, so I try and wear the jersey as often as possible. Much better that money goes to a local club than to some skinny eejits from Luxembourg.

There's no point in comparing cycling to soccer or GAA, "cycling people" still have some level of class.

I presume this is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I'm probably being a little OTT, but wearing World Champ, yellow, green, pink, polka dot jerseys or any other jersey with similar conotations is disrespectful to what that jersey stands for, it's something that needs to be earned.

Feck that, I'm wearing a King of the Mountain jersey for the Etape this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Bigserious1

I presume this is a joke

I love the fact you never even read the second part of the post before getting annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well I have done Ditching, Truskmore (the paved part), and Barnsmore Gap (bothsides), all without dismounting.

:p

• Advertisement

Sorry I did read it, I left out the winky face by mistake. I had been lookin for a troll to put up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ck101

Yikes. Just getting getting into the sport and spent a rake of cash on Santini specials at Prendas.
    All Team stuff and great value. I won't be wearing any matching gear though, havent done that since I was 7.

Once my gear is clean, has nice colours and fits well I don't really care whether it has branding or not. Can't really see the difference in wearing a jersey emblazoned with Castelli, Santini or Garmin. Maybe we should take the branding / logos off our bikes too.

Is it better to wear team gear than to been seen in the Lidl stuff?

Spotted a group of 7/8 going hard on a training spin this evening. Lots of team gear on display.

Yes I'm a Fred and proud..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

while I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed that wearing 'prize' jerseys is disrespectful (I have a world champ rainbow jersey but can't bring myself to wear it unless as a base layer) but it could also be argued that many if those that actually won those jerseys did so in a way that was even more disrespectful.
    I don't think someone wearing on the Sunday cycle is doing much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

In what way is it disrespectful? If anything its paying homage to the Jersey.

I think the whole nature of the man on the street wearing a certain jersey is to support the competition. However if you are in with a possibility of competing for said jersey I think it would be stupid to wear it. However most of us are not so it doesn't matter a toss.

In fact any representative team jersey for any sport has to be earned and its not disrespectful for a fan to wear them is it?
    If it was disrespectful then the organisers of said events and teams wouldn't sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I have an old US postal jersey given to me by a mate when I first started cycling. I have never been inclined to wear team gear although I have no issue with others wearing it. Most of the people I cycle with tend to wear the Galway Cycle jersey, either the generic or the jersy for that particular year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Fender76 wrote: »
    I bought some team gear recently because it was very cheap and it is really good quality.. but is it frowned upon to wear team gear..?
    Would I be labelled a Fred...?
    Personally I have no issues with anyone wearing such gear ...... thoughts..?

I've never seen this question anywhere but in cycling. In the States, people who wear the team kit are referred to as posers.

I go to Thomond to see Munster play and there are fellas with beer bellies sticking out of there Munster shirts, never hear the term applied to them. Probably wouldn't want to say it to them either.

Same with hurling, football, and all other sports.

So why cycling?

@FISMA - Do you play tag? If you do, go to your next game in full Munster kit (jersey, shorts, socks) with your legs taped for line out lifting and with a gum shield - reckon there wouldn't be any pi$$-taking?:)

Wearing a KoM jersey and not dancing up hills looks a bit ridiculous.

Anyway whatever about full team kit, what about full Livestrong kit with matching Oakleys and bracelet?

Aldi & Lidl kit is generally functional and comfy - great for spins. Aldi did a lovely retro Merino jersey a few years ago, mine has worn very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

FISMA wrote: »
    I go to Thomond to see Munster play and there are fellas with beer bellies sticking out of there Munster shirts, never hear the term applied to them. Probably wouldn't want to say it to them either.

In fairness, they probably make up the opposing front rows of the teams on display there during your visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I propose we split the cycling forum into two sub forums. "Euros" and "Freds". You post in which ever one you fit. ;) (BTW If you have to ask, you're in Freds.)

• Advertisement

I propose we split the cycling forum into two sub forums. "Euros" and "Freds". You post in which ever one you fit. ;) (BTW If you have to ask, you're in Freds.)

Seconded.

I further propose there be a sub-forum of the Fred Forum for the herd of MAMILs - we're like the widebeest of the cycling world - ugly as f&ck on our own, but quite impressive in large groups:)

Advertisement