Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Watched A Very Murray Christmas last night. It's grand, I suppose. I'm not sure what demographic it was aiming for, but in description I should have loved it: a Sofia Coppolla directed, Bill Murray starring special featuring cameos from the likes of Jenny Lewis and Phoenix. Alas, even at 55 minutes or so it's overstretched and thin - basically a load of recognisable faces (some more recognisable than others) showing up and singing festive songs. For a while, it gets by on charm and some solid covers - the Phoenix contribution is particularly neat, and Maya Rudolph gives it many socks. But by the time it descended into an over-extended, sub Busby Berkeley (well, well sub) choreographed sequence I was tuning out.

Watched A Very Murray Christmas last night. It's grand, I suppose. I'm not sure what demographic it was aiming for, but in description I should have loved it: a Sofia Coppolla directed, Bill Murray starring special featuring cameos from the likes of Jenny Lewis and Phoenix. Alas, even at 55 minutes or so it's overstretched and thin - basically a load of recognisable faces (some more recognisable than others) showing up and singing festive songs. For a while, it gets by on charm and some solid covers - the Phoenix contribution is particularly neat, and Maya Rudolph gives it many socks. But by the time it descended into an over-extended, sub Busby Berkeley (well, well sub) choreographed sequence I was tuning out.

As said, it's OK - there is, under the surface, very vague hints of the sort of dreamy melancholy that was so much more potent in Lost in Translation. But they're not much more than hints, and overall this feels like the sort of production that was more fun to make than watch.

I'm huge bill Murray fan just watched this and have to admit I agree very underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Separate threads for film & TV
    anyone watch Club De Cuervos?

its a very funny comedy based around a bother and sister fighting each other for control of a (ficticious) football team in Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

big fish added irish netflix
    great movie and one of tim burtons best

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Avengers: Age of Ultron now up on Netflix Canada.

Southpaw added to Netflix Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

2 cracking foreign films of the last decade added to netflix Italy, The Lives Of Others and A Prophet.:)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213205-prophet/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

peteeeed wrote: »
    big fish added irish netflix
    great movie and one of tim burtons best

Hmmmm... (strokes chin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Rjd2 wrote: »
    2 cracking foreign films of the last decade added to netflix Italy, The Lives Of Others and A Prophet.:)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1213205-prophet/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

They don't have English subtitles on Netflix Italy, though, do they? Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Interesting documentary about James Randi, one of the great illusionists and, more importantly, whistle-blowers when it comes to frauds posing as physics.

It's on US and Canadian Netflix, as well as a bunch of other countries'.

Not UK or Ireland, though, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

F is for family the netflix made bill burr comedy added to all regions today

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Black Coal, Thin Ice is on the Canadian 'flix. Not watched it yet myself but have heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

peteeeed wrote: »
    F is for family the netflix made bill burr comedy added to all regions today

Anyone recommend watching this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

warpdrive wrote: »

I've just started watching it, on episode 2 now, think it's really funny. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Black Coal, Thin Ice is on the Canadian 'flix. Not watched it yet myself but have heard good things.
    Fantastic film, left me baffled, intrigued and amazed in equal measure at JDIFF. Has the best dance scene in years too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just finished watching F is for Family, really enjoyed it, hope they make more episodes..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 FreekALeek

warpdrive wrote: »

I switched it off after 5 minutes and Id consider myself a Bill Burrs fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I was dodgy on F is for Family after the first one or two episodes but having watched all 6 i think its pretty good with a lot of potential should it be received well and get future seasons.

After that i decided to binge watch the other new netflix production, Making a Murderer. 10 episodes, about 12 hours worth of the most jaw dropping head spinning ****ed up case i've ever seen documented on film. A must watch, and try not to look up anything about the series or case. I honestly could not stop saying "what the f*ck" throughout so many of the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I just heard about F is for family on here. Watched the trailer and was in stitches.
    The father turning to his young son and saying "If you let anything happen to her (his sister, who he's been left watching) I'll put you through that F***ing wall"

Reminds me of a real life scene I saw in Croke Park recently. A young boy was told by his father to bring his infant sister to the toilet but before he left he was told "oh and if you lose her don't bother coming back!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Come Drink With Me is one of the mini-avalanche of Shaw Brothers films added to Netflix (Ireland, anyway) in the last few months. Director King Hu's Dragon Inn (which he made the year after this) was one of my most welcome discoveries of the last year, so booted it straight up when I noticed his name.

What a delightful film. For a film made in 1966, it doesn't feel like it has aged a day - or at least has aged at a far less obvious rate than most of its contemporaries. The production values, vibrancy and surprising level of stylised violence help make it feel ahead of its time, and a stunning restoration job has surely helped.

The film is of the wuxia sort, the more graceful, stylised martial arts efforts that inspired the likes of Hero and House of Flying Daggers. Here, like Dragon Inn, there's a perfect blend between the more brutal melee combat and the flourishes of fantastical acrobatics. The fighting is great, but so is the rest: there's a constant, Leone-esque tension that precedes the inevitable brawls, while there's lots of humour and well defined characters too. Oh, and it's stunning to look at.

As far as pure, wildly entertaining genre filmmaking goes, I'm increasingly of the persuasion there are few better directors out there than King Hu - combining action thrills and formal artistry effortlessly. Can't wait for the Touch of Zen Blu-Ray early next year, but this was a very nice surprise to stumble across on Netflix :) More of this sort of classic foreign cinema please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Just finished watching F is For Family myself and thought it was brilliant. I wasn't sure how Bill Burr would come across in an animated show but his attitude just suits the 70's slightly abusive father character perfectly.

The support cast is great for an animated show. The main cast below and then others like David Koechner (Champ from Anchorman) and Gary Cole.

qsEd3AA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

No love for 'Making A Murderer'? thought you Boardies be all over this. A Documentary, 10 part series first on Netflix. Most compelling sh1t I've watched in years and I'm not exaggerating. No Turkey picked, I'm not shaved and wearing a stale boxers. This Doc has made me binge watch at the worst possible time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

nocoverart wrote: »
    No love for 'Making A Murderer'? thought you Boardies be all over this. A Documentary, 10 part series first on Netflix. Most compelling sh1t I've watched in years and I'm not exaggerating. No Turkey picked, I'm not shaved and wearing a stale boxers. This Doc has made me binge watch at the worst possible time of year.

I'm 1 episode in and honestly can see this rivalling The Jinx, very similar style in the first episode at least.

Trying to stay away from spoilers now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057538799

It's an "Online TV" show, so it goes in the obviously very popular, "Online TV" forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm 1 episode in and honestly can see this rivalling The Jinx, very similar style in the first episode at least.

Trying to stay away from spoilers now!

It's a very good series, im totally engrossed in it, I'm 7 episodes into it and you cant take your eyes off it. Very similar in style to "The Jinx" and "The Staircase" (have to say Staircase is best true crime court drama I've see, worth checking out!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Watched the first yesterday after seeing the recommendation earlier in this thread. So much messed up crap and there's still 9 more episodes to go.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057538799

It's an "Online TV" show, so it goes in the obviously very popular, "Online TV" forum...

Problem with that forum is that by its nature the threads there can be full of spoilers unlike this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just watched the original Black Christmas half expecting another dated 70s slasher but it's a really great, suspenseful, atmospheric and surprisingly funny movie. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched the first two episodes last night and loved it! Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Any big new releases on Netflix over the Snoozefest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Northern Limit Line: Yeonpyeong Haejeon" (2015)

Based on an actual incident that took place in 2002 in the ongoing conflict between North and South Korea. Very watchable despite it being subtitles only and disturbingly realistic. A little on the jingoistical side and the North Koreans come across as ugly, malevolent devils. As I said, heavy on the realism but worth watching. 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'll have a look. Recently started 'How to get Away with Murder' so I'm all about the homicide lately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Finished the series. Excellent! Don't want to say too much, just watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement