Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Pixar Movie - Brave

• 27-06-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭

They have released a trailer for it today, and it looks amazing!

Since ancient times, stories of epic battles and mystical legends have been passed through the generations across the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland. In “Brave,” a new tale joins the lore when the courageous Merida (voice of Kelly Macdonald) confronts tradition, destiny and the fiercest of beasts.

Merida is a skilled archer and impetuous daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane). Merida’s actions inadvertently unleash chaos and fury in the kingdom, and when she turns to an eccentric old Witch (voice of Julie Walters) for help, she is granted an ill-fated wish. The ensuing peril forces Merida to discover the meaning of true bravery in order to undo a beastly curse before it’s too late.

Official Website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm already more interested in this than Cars 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Was really looking forward to this when Brenda Chapman was directing but since she left the project last year I'm divided about it. I enjoyed mark andrews short one man band but I would have really liked to have seen Chapmans version seeing as she conceived the story.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

THe animation looks great, also definitley a new type of movie for pixar, good to see something original on the way from them considering the amount of sequels it looks like they might be churning out soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks interesting, if a radical departure from Pixar. Let's hope the horse isn't wise-cracking :P

Reviews for Cars 2 seem to extremely mixed, leaning towards the negative for perhaps the first time in their career (an outright mediocre film as opposed to the above average Cars). While I certainly can't complain when they basically made the most effective second sequel of all time last year, seeing them tackle all new material after a two year break will be welcome :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was hoping for a bit more, but it's only a teaser. Looks brilliant though. It'll be interesting to see what Pixar will do with their first female protagonist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Gingers ftw! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Looks amazing (cg-wise). I just hope there are no embarrassing cultural clichés. Hate those.

Oh just found this on reddit. :pac:

9FuaF.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Getting very How To Train Your Dragon vibes of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Getting very How To Train Your Dragon vibes of this one.

In fairness, I never really understood why the Vikings in HTTYD all had scottish accents apart from the geeky hero. At least this one seems to be in a Scottish-esque kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

In fairness, I never really understood why the Vikings in HTTYD all had scottish accents apart from the geeky hero. At least this one seems to be in a Scottish-esque kingdom.

They did live in a mythical Island inhabited with dragons though so It didn't really put me off :D

HTTYD is probably my favourite animated film

Here's hoping Brave brings Pixar back on track though. It looks great though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Looks badass,hopefully it delivers,going to watch this for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I could happily listen to Kelly MacDonald talk all day long.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

It was because they used some scottish actors :P Quite a few characters had american accents too.

I meant more in terms of animation and theme it seemed similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It was because they used some scottish actors :P Quite a few characters had american accents too.

Quite a few characters had American accents badly disguised as Scottish ones. Presumably the island was somewhere near Shrek's swamp.

Quite a few characters had American accents badly disguised as Scottish ones. Presumably the island was somewhere near Shrek's swamp.

I guess you're referring to Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson who are actually Scottish in real life.....and most of the other actors (bar the kids who just talked with american accents iirc) were english... *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm really excited. Pixar are so great, such a wealth of talent there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CleanYerPlate

It visually looks good but it doesn't have that Pixar feel to it. Die hard Pixar fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It visually looks good but it doesn't have that Pixar feel to it. Die hard Pixar fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

It certainly doesn't have the Pixar feel, but how long can Pixar keep churning out the same (albeit fantastic) stuff before it gets a bit boring? Kids go to see the movies for the stories and the spectacle, adults tend to go to see how far animation has come. I'll definitely be seeing this, will be interesting to see what the 3D is like on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I could happily listen to Kelly MacDonald talk all day long.

I was a little disappointed they didn't snare Karen Gillan for this actually. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CleanYerPlate

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It certainly doesn't have the Pixar feel, but how long can Pixar keep churning out the same (albeit fantastic) stuff before it gets a bit boring? Kids go to see the movies for the stories and the spectacle, adults tend to go to see how far animation has come. I'll definitely be seeing this, will be interesting to see what the 3D is like on it.

To be honest I don't go to see an animated film just to see the quality of the animation. I go for the story as well. It's all part of the package that makes these Pixar films so good. And another 3D film? From what I've seen already in regards 3D and animations it'd be just as good in 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pixar sold out with Cars 2 and as a one time massive fan of them new releases don't have the same buzz for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

don't have the same buzz for me anymore.

Sorry Tipsy but Mr. Lightyear has hung up his spacesuit for good. He's enjoying himself some Spanish totty now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Lirange wrote: »
    Sorry Tipsy but Mr. Lightyear has hung up his spacesuit for good. He's enjoying himself some Spanish totty now.

Nope. Buzz is the Spanish totty now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KidDunne

This looks brilliant, Pixar really ballsed up with cars, its strange that they let it happen but probably good that the got there bad movie out of the way. In years to come surely people will look back on the Piar collection as they do now with the Disney Classics Collection

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's a longer clip:

It is weird hearing Kelly McDonald back in Scots mode, after her flawless Texan accent in No Country For Old Men. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

bnt wrote: »
    Here's a longer clip:

It is weird hearing Kelly McDonald back in Scots mode, after her flawless Texan accent in No Country For Old Men. :cool:
    ....and her not-so-flawless Irish accent in Boardwalk Empire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Really reminded me of Disney's Robin Hood:

It looks decent enough, though I think I'd have to see a different trailer before shelling out to see it in the cinema. And was it me or was the animation a bit "off" in parts? (where yer man's dancing around the 1:15 mark?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

bnt wrote: »
    Here's a longer clip:

I cannot wait for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

I love Pixar movies, so needless to say that I can't wait to see this movie.

Advertisement