Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protesting about locked thread "Sky Signal format"

• 23-05-2005 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I have to protest strongly about this action.:mad:

NOWHERE ON THE THREAD DID IT EVER GIVE INFORMATION ABOUT HACKING.

This mention of the Dragon Cam has nothing to do with hacking but perfectly legal viewing. Hacking is viewing channels that you haven't paid for. Since you still require a official Sky Subscription to view Sky Digital, nothing wrong is done.

The mod has gone over the top with this action.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

I second that.

How on earth DMC could think using an OFFICIAL, PAID FOR, subscription card in a receiver to decrypt channels for which you have PAID, TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE has anything to do with hacking is beyond me.

If such ridiculous action is to be taken, all threads which mention the use of UK FTV cards in the ROI (or anywhere other than the UK) should similarly be locked because UK FTV cards are available to, and intended for use by, UK residents only. Their use elsewhere must, therefore, be a form of hacking because they enable the viewing of encrypted channels for which the viewer has not paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Like in those competitions on back of cornflakes boxes. "The editors decision is final". What to do?
    He has to take the grief if something is incited here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

One direction the thread was taking did seem okay to me. However, there were 3 posts which were taking things into hacking territory. So I would say blame those 3 posters, who include the thread starter, not DMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agreed that DMC took the correct action. As the cornflakes box says "The editors decision is final".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

I also agree with DMC it was heading towards hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Wow :eek:

Well you are all entitled to your opinion and DMC is the Mod, so there is very little I can do, but this TOTALY brings down any creditability of this user or any user who supported this action.

I've been in this game for over 17 years and have seen practically anything to do with satellite and I can safely tell you that this definition of 'hacking' is noting short of disgraceful.

I can only give my opinion and that is using a official Sky Card with an official Sky Subscription on a Dragon Cam is not 'Hacking'.

So I will not say anything more on this matter as I have made my point and I’m afraid I’ll get banned or something.

I’m very disappointed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

I agree with DMC. Its very clear where that thread was going - you will always get someone who will post in the thread about illegitimate things, and it can take some time for the mods to notice and delete any topical stuff. So, to cover all eventualities you really have to stop the thread from steering off.

Besides - surely if NDS own the patent to the NDS system, then the DragonCam has infrigned on these patent rights, therefore making it illegal anyway? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kramlq

@kahless
    Well I was the one who answered the question, and I specifically put the bit about using your official card in italics thinking I would eliminate any confusion for those who might think they could get something they were not paying for.

I think that precedent has shown that cams written to be compatible with a particular system can be sold and used - aston have sold their 'seca mediaguard compatible' cams for years. Neotioncrypt cams are compatible with viaccess purely due to the similarities between the two encryption systems.

BTW, surely the resale/use/discussion of FTV cards in Ireland is a civil and sometimes criminal offence - it clearly says 'property of NDS' on it, so people are selling cards they dont own, and using them against the terms of the original contract? Cable companies take a very dim view of people selling their cards. Just because sky doesnt actively pursue people selling their cards doesnt make it any more legitimate.

Having said that, I appreciate that 'editors decision is final' - just wanted to say a few things to those trying to apportion 'blame'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

weehamster wrote:
    Wow :eek:
    I've been in this game for over 17 years and have seen practically anything to do with satellite and I can safely tell you that this definition of 'hacking' is noting short of disgraceful.

I can only give my opinion and that is using a official Sky Card with an official Sky Subscription on a Dragon Cam is not 'Hacking'.

So I will not say anything more on this matter as I have made my point and I’m afraid I’ll get banned or something.

What about this:
    Never say never, with scrambling sysytems, if man made it, man can break it
    Are you seriously suggesting that post and the two following ones asking for more imformation were not about hacking? It is specifically about breaking scrambling systems, with requests for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

For gawdsake the guy only suggested it might be possible to hack NDS videoguard

I mean its possible to rob banks its possible to steal cars its possible to shoot people its possible to hijack an aeroplane and crash it into a tall building Does this mean by saying this I am potentially inciting people to go and do these things ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

:mad:

If you have an issue with a mod action, come to me, and not protest about it on list. I have seriously no time for that. If this crops up on the forum once more, there will be bannings.

When you do contact me off list, all I will say is remind you of the rules, and that is DON'T Discuss hacking systems.

As for that thread... it was nipped in the bud. There were some statements made that couldve leaded discussion in that way, and I was not going to leave it overnight.

As for FTV cards, we've discussed that to death here before, and its discussion is allowed.

Deal with it.

Locked.

weehamster wrote:
    An over reaction there to say the least.This is a totally voluntary site and DMC was only doing the done thing and closing a thread that started to discuss stuff outside the parameters allowed under the rules.

For future reference, pm a mod if you have a problem with a modding decision and it may be explained to you.
    Remember again that this is a voluntary site policed by volunteers so a little concern or respect for them wouldnt be remiss, rather than jumping up and down in another thread.

@mike72-I can tell you categorically that any thread that discusses or even hints at what is possible will get the same treatment ie a locking.
    People are only banned when they act the maggot and repeat offend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement