Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Fly Rod

• 08-02-2012 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Freya Fierce Footwear

Im thinking of getting a fly rod this weekend. It will be my first fly rod, and im totally new to fly fishing. Il will be mainky fishing for rainbows up to 2lbs in a stocked lake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

10ft. AFTM 7-8.
    Medium to fast action, although this might initially be a bit of a disadvantege as it takes more getting used to. If you get a soft action rod though you'll hate it after a month, all floppy and tiring to use.
    Daiwa Whisker if I recall is a good medium priced rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Remember you wont get something for nothing! As you're new to fly fishing try and bring someone in the know along with you and be prepared to separate with €100 - €200.
    As viper said 10ft 7-8 weight rod with medium to fast action would be ideal for where your planning on fishing, with the added bonus that it would be perfect for fishing bigger wild loughs too. If you buy one thats too soft it will be very difficult to cast with a stiff breeze behind you and you wont be able to cast that far either.
    I would suggest a Daiwa Wilderness. Its a good rod with all the characteristics described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

A 7-8 for upto 2lb rainbows ? Thats over kill. On the western lough you might go for a 7wt when fishing sinking lines but 90% of the time you are using a 6wt for wets or a 5wt for dries. And those rods will handle 5lb+ wild browns comfortably. I use an 8wt for Bass and Pike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

What you will find most useful will be:
    10' to 10' 6"
    # 5- #6
    single handed
    a slight amount of handle projecting below the reel fitting, 1" is plenty, so reel does not foul clothing while playing fish

and get two lines with it:
    a WF6 floater, and a WF6 neutral density - very low sink.
    buy the best lines you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

Il will be mainky fishing for rainbows up to 2lbs in a stocked lake.

You say his now but you'll find yourself trying new venues and places where a heavier rod that a 2lb stockie fly rod is very necessary. Most of us on here, I would hazard a guess, fish with an 'every occasion' fly rod that'll do everything from trout, stockies, sea trout and grilse.

I fish a 10ft 6-7 fly rod most occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Freya Fierce Footwear

thanks for the replies, im going to the show in dublin on sat, il have a look there. looking forward to the summer, ive never been fly fishing before, but mad to give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭fiacha

In a similar position to the OP. I want to put the worm rod away and start fly fishing the Tolka. I mostly fish it from Ashtown to Clonee. 90% of my fishing will be on the Tolka, with the odd trip to the RYE.

Have been reading reviews / forums for a few days, but I'm still unsure of what length / weight rod to go for.

Will be hoping to pick up a rod at the show this weekend.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

10ft 6-7WT is ideal, I wouldn't go for the 7/8 since you are starting off.. and it would cover you if you plan to do some boat fishing.

Maybe a 9ft 4-5WT for river work should suffice for wet/dry work.

€100 - 200!!! are ya mad!!!

if you are starting off try to get some decent fly lines, a good floating line and maybe an intermediate or slow glass...

There's rods for sale here all the time so don't go too mad..look for a 3 piece as it's easier to transport

Adverts.ie

Actually here's a good buy..

Cdx 66 10' #6/7wt Fly Rod

10ft 6-7WT is ideal, I wouldn't go for the 7/8 since you are starting off.. and it would cover you if you plan to do some boat fishing.

if you are starting off try to get some decent fly lines, a good floating line and maybe an intermediate or slow glass...

There's rods for sale here all the time so don't go too mad..look for a 3 piece as it's easier to transport

Adverts.ie

No I'm fairly sure I'm not mad! The op said he is going to buy a rod at the weekend so naturally I assumed he is going to the angling show not a second hand shop. Under €100 will get you nothing but junk if you buy new.
    You consider 100-200 euro mad money:confused:

Btw I have a spare fly tying vice here which im giving away. Its got a basestand and comes with a benchclamp aswell. It was worth 50 quid at the time and anyone is welcome to take it for free. if anyone is interested drop me a pm.

Ah stop I got a NEW Sonik SK4 6/7 for €100 and it does more than enough for what I want, plus the guy is starting off..

He has to think about, lines, a reel, a decent net and the few accessories that are need required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Everyone here has different opinions because everyone's needs are slightly different.
    You can have a multitude of different rods, reels lines etc for rivers, big rivers, small rivers, trout, salmon, stocked lakes, loughs, wild loughs etc.

Starting off you want something that will work for the most likely venues that you will be fishing.

Lakes or loughs generally 10ft is perfect in the 6-7 range. Between 10ft and 9ft foot will do also.
    Rivers for trout probably 9ft in a 5 weight will cover most.

Budget is entirely up to yourself but don't go cheapest of the cheap. If you can, bring someone to the show with you who knows fly rods.

Myself I fish local and midland lakes with a greys grx 10ft 7 weight.
    I fish rivers with a greys somethingorother 8ft 6" 5 weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Adverts.ie

Well said Robbie, there's absolutely no need for a beginner to buy a €200 euro rod. Silly money starting off. Money that could be used paying for a few lessons or just paying for a few days stockie bashing to get a feel for the whole thing. I'd rather catch fish with crap gear than not getting out but having a G loomis in the shed. I actually got back into fishing after buying a €40 LIDL fly rod kit and I caught hundreds of fish with it!!

I agree with almost everything else except the need to buy good lines. He's starting off so without insulting the chap its fair to say he'll spend a good deal of time standing on his line, getting it snagged on the ground, brambles, oarlocks, you name it. Why spend €50 on a line you'll destroy inside a season? buy these instead- http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Flextec-3-Fly-Lines-3-x-Backing-3-x-Loops-/250983723187?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item8013a59221
    3 for the price of 1 plus free backing and leader loops. They're grand, I used them for the whole of last year and couldnt fault them. Still on the reels at the moment and they'll probably last a while yet.

And I have that rod too:) its a 4 peice, a little bit heavy to spend the day using but you can fire line a serious distance with it. Picked it up for €30 on sale , shop display model, last year and I wont be giving it back :D Pulled a fair few trout up to 6 lb and even a pike on the boyne last year.

OP, go cheap for now, you can get kitted out for less than €100 and if you enjoy it then you know what to put on the christmas list next year :) Tight lines.

Ah stop I got a NEW Sonik SK4 6/7 for €100 and it does more than enough for what I want, plus the guy is starting off..

He has to think about, lines, a reel, a decent net and the few accessories that are need required.

So you paid €100 then and got a decent enough rod which just confirms the point im trying to make. And lets be honest here experimenter, those rods normally retail for at least €150 in irish shops infact they pretty much retail for that online. Again €100 -€200 or you will be replacing the wibbly wobbly wonder you've bought in six months time.
    Experimenter Im sure the op isnt stupid and is aware that he will require a reel, line and other accessories......... however there is a very real possibility that if he buys a lemon he will innevitably end up replacing it with a better one. A cost better off avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭okedoke

fiacha wrote: »
    In a similar position to the OP. I want to put the worm rod away and start fly fishing the Tolka. I mostly fish it from Ashtown to Clonee. 90% of my fishing will be on the Tolka, with the odd trip to the RYE.

Have been reading reviews / forums for a few days, but I'm still unsure of what length / weight rod to go for.

Will be hoping to pick up a rod at the show this weekend.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    F.

If you're only going to be river fishing I would recommend a 8.5 or 9' 4#. The usual recommendation is for a 9' 5# - personally I think that's too heavy for everyday river fishing.

If you're willing to buy off the internet - the Sonic SK3 is meant to be decent. £50 + postage from Garry Evans, I'd go for the 8.5' 4/5#.
    http://www.garryevans.co.uk/sonik-sk3--sk4-river-fly-rods---now-half-price-4770-p.asp

Best advice I can give a complete beginner in fly fishing, join here
    http://www.flyforums.co.uk/index.php
    there are a few posters here over there and you will get great advice and deals. Lots of reels and line half price or better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Freya Fierce Footwear

Thanks for all the replies! I stocked up on pike and coarse gear last year so i dont have too much to get there, also mainly feathers for sea fishing so most of my budget will be on the fly gear. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Thanks for all the replies! I stocked up on pike and coarse gear last year so i dont have too much to get there, also mainly feathers for sea fishing so most of my budget will be on the fly gear. Thanks again

Wychwood truefly is a very good fly rod for the price. I've the 9'6" 6/7 and it's a good all-round rod, very easy to cast. Cost me about €80 online. To look at it and use it you would think it cost a good bit more.

For the reel I have the Snowbee XSD. Can be got online with a couple of spare spools for around €60. It's a good reel for the price and it's easy to pop spools in and out. You'll want at least a couple of spools with floating and intermediate line on them.

If you're wondering about where to spend your budget I'd say spend it on the lines. If you get a good value rod and reel like the ones listed above and have a bit left in your budget I'd say spend in on a couple of good lines rather than going for a really cheap line. I'd recommend Cortland 444.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

would highly reccomend looking at something like 9'6'' 6# rod, its ideal for starting fly fishing its not to long for a trip to the local river neither is it too short for a trip stockie lakes, its best of both worlds , but if its just river trout 9' 4-5# is perfect and if its the lakes 10' 7# is ideal, see if you can pick up the old greys mk2 rod, are a serious piece of kit, but no longer made, you might just pick one up for around 75-125 quid , for a rod that originally sold for 235e! any thing by greys, airflo, daiwa, scierra, vision, all reasonably priced and good qyaliity! same go's for the reels and line! but would recommend a weight forward line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

aidanf wrote: »
    I'd recommend Cortland 444.

+1 on the 444

For a beginner I would join the forum in my other post and buy line from the PitsfordPirate. For under 20e delivered with loops, his line will not be beaten and perform every bit aswell as 30-40e line. I have cortlands, rio gold and even tried sharkskin but I have the Pirates line on a couple of reels and don't need to change it. Now the 444 is probably the most successful floater of all time but I don't think a beginner would get any benefit from it over the Pirates cheaper lines. So use that forum and save all yourselves a bit of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

got a bruce and walker 8ft #5 secondhand from southside angling last week paid 100 perfect cond and i relly like it just wondering are they good rods and was it a good price...was going to get a greys 9ft for 150 but i think i got better deal second hand option..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

anthonyos wrote: »
    got a bruce and walker 8ft #5 secondhand from southside angling last week paid 100 perfect cond and i relly like it just wondering are they good rods and was it a good price...was going to get a greys 9ft for 150 but i think i got better deal second hand option..

yes BW trout rods are good.

8ft, you are really kind of limiting yourself..

it will do for time being and the fella in the shop said i can trade in again foe a second hand sage when i want

Fair enough but I'm kind of surprised at the guy in the shop selling you a 8ft rod, what kind of fishing did he expect you were doing, small streams!!

Considering of all of the advice mentioned here, not one person suggested an 8ft rod...and a 5WT at that, sure what will you do when there a small bit of a breeze, really disappointed and surprised by that guy in that shop, he should have known better..

For stockie bashing, either a 9ft 6-7 or a 10ft 6-7, you are covered for most if not all situations, even if you are doing a little boat fishing. I can't see you using a sinking line on a 8ft 5wt..

Personally I'd be heading back with it.. but only my opinion, I know I might sound a little harsh but that shop guy needs to wise up.

ye mainly small rivers and from what iv heard 8ft 5# is well suited to my needs...if need another rod for lakes and largers rivers il get one

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Good luck with your purchase and I wish you tight lines.All you need now is loads of practice. Welcome to fly-fishing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

have a look at the shakespeare oddessey fly rods cheap as chips on ebay & they are a nice starter rod

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

guys whats yer opinions on those airflo fly kits out there, im new to fly fishing myself & purchased 1 at xmas, mainly for small rivers, i checked out internet reviews on them & they seemed quite good, i paid only 85 for the full set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

I got a 9.5 ft 6/7wt rod last year. Have only tried it on lakes so far. Would like to ry rivers but thought it might be too heavy. Would it be a bit much for most rivers or would it be about right for some of the bigger ones? Was thinking of the Boyne maybe?

Advertisement