Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

could of, should of, would of

• 22-01-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of those errors typically made by a person more familiar with the spoken than the written form of English. A sentence like “I would have gone if anyone had given me free tickets” is normally spoken in a slurred way so that the two words “would have” are not distinctly separated, but blended together into what is properly rendered “would’ve.” Seeing that “V” tips you off right away that “would’ve” is a contraction of “would have.” But many people hear “would of” and that’s how they write it.

6,560 results from boards.ie for "would of"
    3,240 results from boards.ie for "could of"
    3,590 results from boards.ie for "should of"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Scarey stats.
    The real scarey thing is that if it becomes common enough it will be acceptable.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm seeing a number of such aural-to-written misinterpretations. The one that grates every time is the word "are" used in place of "our".

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Hagar wrote: »
    Scarey stats.
    The real scarey thing is that if it becomes common enough it will be acceptable.

:D:D:D

scary... 1.causing fear or alarm; frightening. 2. easily roused to fear; timid.
    Ref. Collins English Dictionary

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Are we looking for a merger with Spell Czechs?

I was just trying to see if anyone was paying attention.
    Scarey is an Americanism, God save us all from Americanisms. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm seeing a number of such aural-to-written misinterpretations. The one that grates every time is the word "are" used in place of "our".

one that surprised me with how much it annoys me is the use of "mute point" instead of moot. And obviously, "seen" instead of "Seeing".

tbh wrote: »
    And obviously, "seen" instead of "Seeing".
    That really gets me, along with been instead of being.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Scarey stats.

Or exceptable. :)

In other news, my daughter brought home a note from school, advising her to bring a pearer to her entrance exam. :confused: Can anyone shed any light on what a pearer is? The wife said they meant parer, which begs the question, "Is it too late to switch?" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Surely you're familiar with the small device that turns pencils into pears. They're handy at lunch-time.

(As opposed to a pencil pairer, which basically just breaks pencils in half.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Surely you're familiar with the small device that turns pencils into pears. They're handy at lunch-time.

(As opposed to a pencil pairer, which basically just breaks pencils in half.)

Logically, one usually looks for a "sharpener", right?

Did anyone else never use the word "parer"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 niallzer_uh_huh

Another thing coming is another one that stands out. I suppose it makes a bit of sense on its own, and not with "If you think xyz, you've got another think coming"

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

The worst thing in the entire world is when people say then instead of than.

Worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'm sure this one has been dragged out previously - my pet hate is people saying "pacific" instead of "specific"..

one of the black belts in a martial arts class I attent said it recently, but I said nothing in the interest of preserving my own health and safety :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

languages change - people define the langauge

the word awful for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Magnus wrote: »
    This is one of those errors typically made by a person more familiar with the spoken than the written form of English.

They're too often made by people one would expect to be expert in written English.

Here's a beaut from today's (June 25) London Times:

Volcano researchers are pouring over an image taken from the International Space Station that shows a volcano in the earliest stage of eruption.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article6574195.ece

If the Times is having trouble with the written word we're doomed, doomed I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If the Times is having trouble with the written word we're doomed, doomed I tell you.

Goodbye to the English language as we know it.

Hello to phonetic spelling and abbreviated txt-spk.

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Scarey stats.

Like "clique". Very little annoys me as much as that word being pronounced, or increasingly commonly, spelt as "click".
    tbh wrote: »
    one that surprised me with how much it annoys me is the use of "mute point" instead of moot. And obviously, "seen" instead of "Seeing".

I seen that loads recently. There was a thread a few weeks back where one poster posting this Gathering Card as a pop at someone:

tirelessrebutter.jpg

The poster completely missed the barb and replied with "Yeah, the point is mute". I lolled.

The funniest one I ever saw was "fair jews to you". How did they even think that made sense?!

I've just read a few random pages on the Overheard in Dublin site. The general level of literacy of the posters is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Where did hang sangwitch or just sangwitch come from? (The Scouser 'sarny' is another one) It always amuses me when I hear it. When I was younger I thought it was from people with a speech impediment.
    I have never heard it said by anyone but Irish people.:confused:

• Advertisement

Hang sangich is just a result of a culchie accent, I think. Or perhaps just a lack of basic elocution training.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

/drags up thread.
    gizmo555 wrote: »
    They're too often made by people one would expect to be expert in written English.

Here's a beaut from today's (June 25) London Times:

Volcano researchers are pouring over an image taken from the International Space Station that shows a volcano in the earliest stage of eruption.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article6574195.ece
    Volcano researchers are poring over an image taken from the International Space Station that shows a volcano in the earliest stage of eruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Iggy Pop wrote: »
    Where did hang sangwitch or just sangwitch come from?

Never heard it before moved to Galway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

[quote=Faith;61534084

I seen that loads recently. There was a thread a few weeks back where one poster posting this Gathering Card as a pop at someone:

I have seen or i saw!

Ceilteach wrote: »
    [quote=Faith;61534084

I have seen or i saw!

Did you read the post at all? Context, dude. I was using it ironically because I was agreeing with tbh's post saying loads of people say "seen" incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

I just seen that their now, should of known. Apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Here's another one that really bugs me - when people say "I'll try AND do something"....try TO people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

bored of....It's bored with!

Was watching a programme set in 1950s London (OK it was "Call the Midwife" BBC on Sunday evenings) where a woman, not understanding and/or taken aback by what another person had said, responded with "Excuse me?". Dear god, she would have said "Pardon?' or "Pardon me?' This 'excuse me?' phrase is only recent and of American origin.

Fashions in phrases... there must be some academics out there making a living from recording them. I'd love a list!

Advertisement