Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epson Driver Removal Tool - BX300F

• 17-12-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have or know of an Epson driver or software removal tool? I have drivers for a BX300F I am trying to remove without luck.

Also for anyone looking at a BX300F, RUN! Do not even think about purchasing this piece of crap printer.

Not only does the uninstall fail on XP, Vista, and W7 - Avast as well as a few other antivrus programs think the drivers are malware. In fact, even the new drivers on the website show up as malware. If you try and install them anyway your AV software goes crazy until you uninstall them.

Don't get me started on the networking issues. There is no wireless option (in todays day and age? WTF?). You have to share it via a USB connection on a PC. If you plug it into an XP machine it can only be shared with other XP machines. If you plug it into a Vista machine it will only work with other Vista machines. Same with Windows 7.

I just want to remove the printer and software - it won't even do that! Every time it lets you select the printer, then drops you back to the desktop.

I have never, EVER seen a printer that is soooo bad.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CptSternn wrote: »
    Does anyone have or know of an Epson driver or software removal tool? I have drivers for a BX300F I am trying to remove without luck.

Also for anyone looking at a BX300F, RUN! Do not even think about purchasing this piece of crap printer.

Not only does the uninstall fail on XP, Vista, and W7 - Avast as well as a few other antivrus programs think the drivers are malware. In fact, even the new drivers on the website show up as malware. If you try and install them anyway your AV software goes crazy until you uninstall them.

Don't get me started on the networking issues. There is no wireless option (in todays day and age? WTF?). You have to share it via a USB connection on a PC. If you plug it into an XP machine it can only be shared with other XP machines. If you plug it into a Vista machine it will only work with other Vista machines. Same with Windows 7.

I just want to remove the printer and software - it won't even do that! Every time it lets you select the printer, then drops you back to the desktop.

I have never, EVER seen a printer that is soooo bad.

It could have been Avast which corrupted the epson drivers somehow which is why the uninstaller is failing. Check the Avast quarentine and see if any epson related stuff has been quarentined, if so restore it. Obviously Avast are to blame in this instance, quite a bad false positive by the sounds of it, you should be able to manually delete the epson printer in control panel>Printers which would remove the printer from your system, then go into program files, look for the epson directory and remove it manually (If files are locked kill them with task manager first), then go to msconfig and untick those items in the start up tab

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It wasn't just Avast - Antiviri also flagged the drivers as a virus. I had to disable the AV (both) just to unzip the drivers. The AV was disabled during the whole install process, so they couldn't have effected the installs.

Per the manual delete, I tried that first sure. It just doesn't work. You click on remove from your programs list, it pops up a dialog box with the printer listed, then when you click on it you get dropped back to the desktop.

I contacted Epson support and they finally got back to me with a working solution, just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same predicament.

To remove and Epson printer that will not remove - DO NOT go to ADD REMOVE programs and try to manually remove it, as it will not work until you follow these steps:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon, then click Properties. Click the Hardware tab at the top of the box that appears and then Device Manager which is about halfway down on the right-hand side.

2. Ensure the printer is turned on and connected at this point. In Device Manager, click the plus next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then delete USB Printing Support and any USB root hubs (please note: do not attempt to remove USB root hubs if you are using a USB keyboard and mouse). Please be advised, if deleting the USB root hubs you will need to remove any USB device from the computer until it restarts and the device is re-detected. Once all these have been removed close all open windows back to the desktop, switch the printer off and disconnect the USB cable.

After complete the above steps you can THEN go to add/remove programs and use the uninstall utility to remove SOME of the software from the system. To remove the drivers FULLY you must then:

1. Click the Start button and click Run. In the Run box, next to where it says Open, type ‘c:\windows\inf’ and click OK (where ‘c’ is the letter of the drive on which Windows is installed). This will open up a list of files; we need to locate the files beginning with OEM.

2. There may be several files beginning with OEMxx where xx is a number. You can ignore those with the .pnf extensions. The OEMxx files are in fact the original INF files located on the drivers CD (any manufacturer) that Windows has copied to the INF folder and then renamed. You need to open each OEMxx.inf file. Do this by double clicking on it. Please note that before proceeding to step 6, you MUST NOT delete any OEMxx.inf files that do not have “SEIKO EPSON” in them.

3. If the .inf file reads SEIKO EPSON at the top and the Printer Details further down, then close the file and delete the corresponding file(s) i.e. if OEM1.INF is the correct file, then delete oem1.inf and oem1.pnf. Repeat until all EPSON OEMxx.INF files have been deleted. Once all the SEIKO EPSON oemxx.inf and oem.pnf files have been removed, close all the windows. Also if you have a folder within the C:\Windows\INF folder called OTHER, delete any EPSON related files from this folder. Files beginning with EP will be in relation to your product. If you cannot see an 'OTHER' folder attempt to View Hidden Files and Folders.

Once completed, you printer is now uninstalled.

Quite of bit of work just to remove a printer (and the dozen extra apps and toolbars) they put on your system, isn't it?

Another complaint I had with this printer is that there are no install options. You have on EXE you install from. Once installed it puts a tonne of other crap on your computer and desktop - a web browser EPSON tool bar in IE and Firefox, some 'print to web' crap, and about 10 other things I have no use for but cannot uninstall using standard add/remove programs.

Bad form Epson. People don't want your crappy software and also don't want to have to go through the above procedure to get rid of it either.

Advertisement