Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda McLoughlin RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

something like this brings it all home doesn't it

makes you appreciate how precious life is. Walking out the door for work last night at 9.40 the mother was looking at me funny, we all know why. the worst possible nightmare for any family, when their son/daughter/brother/sister/mother/father/partners doesn't come home

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

R.I.P. to the family, and the lads and lassies in Buncrana Station too.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭tracekins

Rest in peace, cannot believe another young member has lost there lives!!! Best wishes to all Gary McLoughlin's family, friends and colleagues from a serving member

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Guys and girls,
    As the OP have a couple of things to say..

1) Lovely thread, so good to see the good wishes and thoughts from around the country over this..

2) I am not a serving member of AGS. I hope the mods didn't mind me starting this thread but my father was a member, he did 36 years and retired. He probably doesn't know himself the effect news like this has on the family of a garda, but I'd just like to ask all of the serving men and women to spare a second to reassure their loved ones, family etc, even if it's just a hug. Growing up, news like the death of Garda McLoughlin meant weeks or months of doubt, despair, worry etc over the what ifs. Perhaps it was just me but I dont think I am the only one, often times I looked at my father going to work and wondered what could happen...

My deepest prayers and sympathy to the family of Garda McLoughlin at this terrible time, and to all members past and present.

I hope the fact that he is well remembered by those who knew him, and those who had no call to know him, but appreciate his life all the same, bring them comfort and solace at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

RIP Gary

just watched the one o clock news on rte.ie

very sad...had a tear rolling down my face watching it. granted i'm a bit soft but it still hits home hard

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1216/mcloughling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

1922 wrote: »

very sad...had a tear rolling down my face watching it. granted i'm a bit soft but it still hits home hard

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

My sincerest condolences to Garda Gary McGloughlin's girlfriend, family, friends and colleagues. May he rest in peace.

I would also offer up a moment of thought for Recruit Garda Gary Sheehan and Private Patrick Kelly who were killed in the line of duty this day 26 years ago.

Two Gary's.. one died in Leitrim.. one buried there.. brings home the realities of the job Gardai do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

1922 wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 trixybell

rip garda mcloughlin. a utter tragedy, thoughts and prayers are with your family, friends and colleagues in buncrana x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

RIP. And lots of strenght and courage to his family and friends to help them carry the burden of their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Very tragic...

Was his colleague injured & how is he doing? (having suffered the loss of his partner)

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Very tragic...

Was his colleague injured & how is he doing? (having suffered the loss of his partner)

he was at the funeral on crutches in fairness to him...saw it on the news. how must he be feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Very tragic...

Yeah I was at the funeral today, saddest thing I've ever had to go through. Was really poignant. Yes Garda Bernard McLoughlin was there with, who I think was his girlfriend?! How blessed must she feel to have him still with her? Great send-off for a true hero and overall great neighbour/friend.

May you rest in peace Gary. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

bleuhh wrote: »
    saddest thing I've ever had to go through. Was really poignant.

Yes, I know the feeling. It's horrible. Been to two in London. One suicide (BTP) & one killed on his way to work (Early Turn). Both very good friends of mine. The latter was on my team as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

might i add at this the saddest of times how deeply saddened i am by this, on the night of this accident there was 3 car accidents in and around the buncrana area on saturday....on the 2nd which happened between 5.30-6.00PM, i couldn't get through to my fiancee, he was on his way to coach his basketball team in Donegal Town, and his mobile was off which is totally out of charcter for him and for the next hour and a half the fear i went through was unimaginable, to think that the person i absolutly loved and adored that something had happened to him,was heart-breaking. I finally mustered up the courage to ring the Gardai at our Buncrana station who was more than helpful as they always are, and they told me that it was two cars involved in the accident...although i want to tell you now that it didn't help me any as i have had a cousin and uncle and 6 friends killed in car accidents. I know that seems more than most, but what can you do. As for Garda Gary McLoughlin my absolute heartfelt sympathies go out to his girlfriend Shauna, his family and all his friends in Leitrim, Buncrana and recently Letterkenny, all his colleagues...and especially his family, what they must be going through(in this season especially) is unbearable i imagine...

So for you Garda Gary Mc Loughlin may you rest in peace, and look down on all your colleauges and give them the strength to carry on.

Look on your family and give them the strength to carry on....

And look on your girlfriend Shauna, and give her the courage and strength to continue on in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Just noticed that my local Station recently had a flag pole put up, and it was rightly flying at half mast today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

RIP Garda McLoughlin.im not if it was you or your brother that I played againist years ago.The family are involved in Sean O'Heslin's GAA.

I hope the culprits are brought to justice.Something has to be done about the suitation in Donegal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Bit Late Posting I know but . . .

RIP Gary,

Ar Deis De Go Raibh a Anam Dílis

A tragic loss like Gardaí Mc Callion, Tighe, Padden, Mc Intyre, Rice, Harmon, Griffin and all those other Gardai who have lost their lives on our roads in the course of their duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

R.I.P. thought this was so upsetting when i heard it,
    deepest sympathies to gary's family and colleagues

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So its Christmas day. A time for us all to reflect on the year gone by, be with our loved ones and relatives and generally have a good time. A day where some of us will be reflecting on sad and happy events of the year gone by.

For some, this Christmas will be a very lonely and sad one. Gary's family, friends and loved ones (especially his girlfriend) will be spending their first Christmas without him. I think we should all take a moment this Christmas to remember Garda McLoughlin and others like him who have died in the line of duty. Its a tough time for any family who have lost a loved one, but especially so for those who knew and loved Gary.

I hope he is resting in peace and I hope his loved ones are doing the best they can during this tough period of their life. Its not going to be easy for them. Spare a quick prayer or thought for them during this time, if you can.

According to Newstalk at 5:30pm a male was charged with casuing death by dangerous driving today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

foreign wrote: »
    According to Newstalk at 5:30pm a male was charged with casuing death by dangerous driving today.

I think that is totally unacceptable. It should have been at least manslaughter. Surely Garda Mc Loughlin deserves more than that :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The guy who did it has escaped from gaol.

Obviously has no remorse whatsoever. Doesn't believe in serving his sentence, in spite of its undue leniency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

What is going on in this country! A serial offender, in prison for killing a Garda, and he is put in an open prison, where he proceeds to walk free???

Why was he put in Cavan, so he could be close to his family in Donegal? Put him in Castlerea so.

And he gets 7 years for this, while Paul Begley (fruit and veg importer) gets 6 years for tax evasion on importing garlic!!!

Hell in a hand-basket...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Does this guy have something like 90 plus previous convictions...Even if he had none why was he put in a minimun security prison/hotel...Id sooner he did half his sentence doing proper time but looks like he couldnt even hack Cavan !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

The guy who did it has escaped from gaol.

Obviously has no remorse whatsoever. Doesn't believe in serving his sentence, in spite of its undue leniency.

So hopefully, when he is re captured he will be returned to a proper prison and his sentence upped a few more years for escaping, consecutively rather than concurrently.

Advertisement