Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New amp suggestions

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Not a huge fan of the Wizard II necks tbh.

And it needs DiMarzio's or Emgs :D

the original plan i had was to get a cheapish ibanez and stick some decent p-ups in it, then i decided to upgrade the amp instead. i think i may stick to the original plan and do up the guitar

chances are, when i play live i'll be playin someone elses amp so the mg will be suffice for rehearsal.

SSSSHHHH. Don't let Doctor J hear you say that.

Guitars are cheap for a reason...

• Advertisement

the neck was a bit slim but i liked it. so..... Pickup suggestions anyone?

DiMarzio's or EMG's :D

Air Norton, Tone Zone and a Tone Zone Single.

yes but any models? i dont really need actives so thats the 81's out of it. something good and distorted for the bridge. i quite like the ibanez powersound neck p-ups

edit: sorry i didn't see the models on the bottom of that post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

For now, yeah, the 270DX By this time next year though I intend to have some kind of LTD or somesuch. Pickups the DiMarzio's would suit your style better than the EMG's. Or possibly some Duncan's.

LTD M-100 is lovely imo. Especially with EMG's.

• Advertisement

hmm... yer man in musicmaker seemed to think that you get far more ibanez for the money than you do ESP.maybe thats because they dont stock ESP's though! tryin to flog off cheap ibanez crapocasters i'd imagine

ESP's are quality machines tbh. I really want a M-II neckthrough custom. About €5000 though <_<

yeah. im temped by a second hand neckthrough LTD explorer with emgs in carlow. feckin 850 euro immaculate condition

i got a pretty good deal on my ibanez though.... 470 with a free case. 400 on thomann+shipping with no case

Meh, don't like the new style ESP EXP's

I'm not a fan of Agathis. It pretty much sucks out half of the available tone as far as I'm concerned, though the EMG's would go a long way to remedy that... Anyhoo, I was thinking more along these lines:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-172248.html

or possibly

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-169743.html

Y'know, something like that. ;)

I was thinking of getting an LTD H-302 but I think I'll get an Ibanez instead

i like the first one but im not too gone on the second one

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG370DX
    http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG1570
    whats the difference between these two apart from the pickups and slightly different neck

and the price of course...

• Advertisement

Better pickups
    Prestige neck
    Better trem
    Just better worksmanship.

Those two necks are incomparable. Putting the wizard versus the Prestige is like pitting a crippled jack russel against a champion greyhound!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

well I was on budget , and I just recently kit myself out

I got a ibanez edr 170 from thomann for 388 , I got some extras, a bag and stuffs and it came to 450 total
    I also baught a cube 15 in dublin for 140

so about 600 , Im pretty happy with it anyhoo

Eh, the microcube is better :( It has delay and chorus. The 15 doesn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

cube 15 has an equaliser, and i'd prefer to use pedals for effects, rather than be pissing around at the amp. The only effects on the cube 15 are different distortion/metal settings, which is cool. Anyway im just learning so it does me for starting.

TBH the single tone control on the microcube is more than enough for me.

I think the gf is getting me one for christmas so I reckon that'll be my lazy practicing amp. Getting a ME-50 and FM212R for jamming and hopefully gigging.

Advertisement