Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2012

Comments

Being shown already didn't stop The Yellow Sea! Still amazed at how popular Lisbon was when it was on - sold out one day I tried to see it, jampacked the day I finally got a ticket!

Still bemused at the complete lack of Asian cinema here. The Raid doesn't really count (although should be fun) ;)

It never even screened down here and the day I was in Dublin it was sold out so I'm currently waiting on the Blu-Ray to arrive. I too been surprised by how popular the film has been, I'm assuming that for some people the novelty of seeing a 4 hour film with an interval was too enticing to pass up.

I think that the festival has lost a lot of it's appeal. There's far too many classics screening, it was a novelty a few years back but with the Screen routinely showing classics it's lost that novelty. The line up is rather poor also, far too many films which have screened here before as well as a number which are easily available elsewhere. Films such as Blackthorn and Buck are on the US Netflix and have been release on DVD and Blu in a number of countries. I know that much of the appeal of a film is seeing it on the big screen but I'm sure that those looking forward to Blackthorn (of which I was one) have already seen it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well I'm heading over to the Berlin film fest for a few days this week and I'm surprised how much of that programme is classic cinema too (considering it's a more important international festival), although they have much more focused 'retrospectives' than the seemingly random selection on display in JDIFF.

Well I'm heading over to the Berlin film fest for a few days this week and I'm surprised how much of that programme is classic cinema too (considering it's a more important international festival), although they have much more focused 'retrospectives' than the seemingly random selection on display in JDIFF.

I was supposed to be heading over but got roped into attending ANNECY instead. Really have to head to Berlinale, was due to go two years back but got sick the week before hand and had to miss.

Try and check out Arcadia, the latest film to star the fantastic John Hawkes, I think it's screening on the second day of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Keyhole is showing there - you going? Been to the Berlinale a few times, love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Renn wrote: »
    Keyhole is showing there - you going? Been to the Berlinale a few times, love it.

Alas, it's only showing on the Monday and I'm only over from Thursday to Sunday :( Same with Arcadia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Rotten. I wonder if Maddin is doing a Q&A - when I went to My Winnipeg he did one with Rossellini, which was brilliant. Could listen to him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Albert Nobbs getting it's Irish and/or World premiere at this?

Is it true Mark Wahlberg is attending?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Albert Nobbs getting it's Irish and/or World premiere at this?

Is it true Mark Wahlberg is attending?

Certainly not the world premier, it's opened in numerous countries around the world already and a Screener leaked awhile back.

And yes Wahlberg is there for the screening of Contraband which is opening in every cinema in the country a few days later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do tickets tend to sell out close to the screenings? There's a few more films I'd like to see, but not sure whether I can make them or not.

Really depends on the film. Bigger names run the risk of selling out, as do any that have 'stars' appearing at the screening. One-off events tend to be popular too. And the surprise film (well, two this year) always sell out.

But smaller films (particularly in the afternoon) tend to be grand. Says in the brochure there'll be special ticket offers, so if you're willing to take the risk that might be a good idea for ones you're not sure about yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Anyone know if Marjane Satrapi is attending both screenings of Chicken with Plums or just the first? Don't think I can make the first.

It's unclear from the programme. Got tickets for the first but it's quite irregular to have two screenings so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Does anyone know what's the deal with the ticket prices? I tried to book two films that start at 11am and being billed ten Euro for each but it clearly says that afternoon shows are 8 Euro and evening shows are 10 Euro.

Edit: It seems that they only count as afternoon screenings on Weekdays only. Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

it's quite irregular to have two screenings so who knows?

I was thinking that yeah.

If I knew how to pronounce her name I'd just ask them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

p to the e wrote: »
    Edit: It seems that they only count as afternoon screenings on Weekdays only. Pfft!

They told me that in the office too, but that policy is not mentioned in the programme. I think someone is getting it wrong.

These are the only films that start before 6pm on a weekday:

Fri 17. Looking for Richard or Blow-up (times overlap).
    Tue 21. L'mportant C'est D'Aimer or Into the Abyss (times overlap)
    Wed 22. Panic in Needle Park
    Thu 23. Calvet.

How are we supposed to use ten tickets on four movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yet again, the Jameson Cult Film Club exemplifies everything that's wrong with the festival. Apparently, "the Jameson Cult Film Club is all about watching your favourite cult films at spectacular screenings in unusual locations, staged to transport you into the film’s universe". In other words, squandering money on a bespoke venue, like last year's screening of The Usual Suspects.
    "Following the discussion, the party will continue in true Jameson style". What does that even mean?
    Would the money not be put to better use securing some more films? In a festival already suffering from overkill with reissues, why not just show the Cult Film Club in a conventional cinema followed by a Q&A and sell the tickets through the box office? Wouldn't that be a better idea than this contrived folly?
    This nonsense of only allocating tickets on a competition basis is just an elitist con to disguise the fact that the majority of places are probably already allocated to "friends of the festival". What of those people who might be keen to enter this who aren't on Facebook or Twitter? I'm sure they're out there.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

The Jameson Cult Film Club has always been little more than a cynical marketing exercise. I know a lot of people think it's great to see these films on the big screen (although, going by the Alien screening, the novelty elements are more distracting than anything) but really it's just a way to advertise a whiskey. I'd say it's the one thing Jameson as sponsors insist on having in the festival.

Money would certainly be better spent elsewhere, though, given the amount of 'production values' that go into these film club screenings. But them's the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

When you consider some of the Surprise Films we've had recently, one or two of which were clearly the dregs off the distributors' floors, it's infuriating that some major, highly-anticipate release can't be secured with a portion of that same money. That would earn them more media column inches than showing Reservoir Dogs in a warehouse. Instead, they'd rather squander a substantial sum on what's ultimately just a night of back-slapping.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Batman at 6 in the lighthouse? or Stella at 6 in Cineworld!!! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Skinfull wrote: »
    Batman at 6 in the lighthouse? or Stella at 6 in Cineworld!!! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Whose idea is it to have at these times? I won't be able to get to either of these screenings because I work until 5. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Extra Tickets for Wilde Salomé have just gone on sale. Limited numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Say what you will about the festival....Reservoir Dogs with Michael Madsen....dream come true! I hope I win tickets!!!

I've suddenly been struck by a foolhardy hope that one of the Surprise Films will be Ace Attorney. In fact, I'm entirely certain it will be the first one because I didn't get tickets to it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Realfoot

Wat r the odds one could meet pacino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

It transpires that I have three extra tickets for one showing that I don't need. Anyone know if you can get a refund from the ticket office (through showing up or doing it online) or am I left to sell them on my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

It transpires that I have three extra tickets for one showing that I don't need. Anyone know if you can get a refund from the ticket office (through showing up or doing it online) or am I left to sell them on my own?

Sure what are they for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

So you can pick up your ticket in the cinema before the movie?

Or is filmbase still open during the festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Did anybody here go see saving the titanic yesterday? Would love to hear some thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Wow, the JDFF website is awful, was keen on finding some interesting films to go to, but that site is just far too frustrating to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

if anyone happens to have 2 tickets to the Reservoir Dogs showing i'd be interested in them.

Advertisement