Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rotterdam Marathon 2012 - 15/04/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Cheers BeepBeep. I'm very tempted to give this a lash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cheers Beepbeep for bringing back memories of the 2010 race :(

Really good marathon this one, better than Berlin imo. Congestion for the first 5k the only major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Looking to do this myself. Anyone got advice on accommodation options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I booked a hotel 200mts from the start through onhotels.com - worked out €100 cheaper than the hotel website - I also confirmed the booking directly with the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Considering this, Vienna or Hamburg as my spring target.

Any pointers?

What's the story with logistics? Fly to Amsterdam then grab a train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Considering this, Vienna or Hamburg as my spring target.

Any pointers?

What's the story with logistics? Fly to Amsterdam then grab a train?

Cheaper to fly Aer Lingus to AMS - train then 45mins, or KLM to RTM (2x the price) and still 20mins by train to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

dowlinj wrote: »
    Looking to do this myself. Anyone got advice on accommodation options?

I stayed in Hotel Emma (the name sounds sh1t but it was a nice place). Was the cheapest I could find for that weekend at 90 euro a night or something like that. Book as early as possible.

Rotterdam is my only marathon so have nothing to compare it to but it was a very well run marathon. The cheap entry fee, free photos, free videos, and then a free book about the marathon a few weeks later with all the results in it was a nice touch. Wasn't terribly impressed with the food that was available at the finish line. Cant remember what it was but I remember being a bit disappointed.

Not an exciting city by any means and not picturesque at all (thank the Germans for that!!) but it's pan flat and well supported with lots of music played at various points. The out and back part of the course is a killer though, seeing people coming the other direction to you.

Some oul craic in the Irish bar that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

04072511 wrote: »
    I stayed in Hotel Emma (the name sounds sh1t but it was a nice place). Was the cheapest I could find for that weekend at 90 euro a night or something like that. Book as early as possible.

Booked Hotel Milano myself for 55 euro a night (shop around. It was 85 on another website) I'm lead to believe its not too far from the race start so booking early has its rewards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I stayed in hte westin hotel i thinka great deal for hte weekend. With 11am start and you can collect numbers sunday am i wouldnt go on the friday again.
    Friends of mine booked flight to rotterdam and then had to go to amstradam as others were cancelled.
    11am start would stop me doing it again. If 9am I would def do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Cheers Beepbeep for bringing back memories of the 2010 race :(

Really good marathon this one, better than Berlin imo. Congestion for the first 5k the only major issue.

Really looking forward to this. After 4-5 marathons just running for the medal, I'm gonna push for my sub 3:30 PB. Rotterdam seems to tick all the boxes.

How do you deal with congestion like that? Sit tight or zig zag to keep pace at all costs?? Instinct would say keep pace rather than try play catch up later? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Thinking of Rotterdam myself. Need to get to sub3 having missed out by a few mins in Dublin. 11am start really could be a disadvantage though.
    Theres a lot a marathons around Europe the same day. Paris..milan...vienna....rotterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 deniseve

Missed out on sub 3:30 myself in Dublin so I'm thinking af doing Rotterdam. Do they have pacers in this marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

deniseve wrote: »
    Missed out on sub 3:30 myself in Dublin so I'm thinking af doing Rotterdam. Do they have pacers in this marathon?

Yep, pacers for every 15 minutes (3:00, 3:15, 3.30: etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Thinking of Rotterdam myself. Need to get to sub3 having missed out by a few mins in Dublin. 11am start really could be a disadvantage though.
    Theres a lot a marathons around Europe the same day. Paris..milan...vienna....rotterdam?

I've just registered this morning.....by the way I'm curious why is the 11.00am start a disadvantage ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Lex Luther wrote: »
    I've just registered this morning.....by the way I'm curious why is the 11.00am start a disadvantage ?:confused:

Higher temperautures later in the race Im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I did it in 2009. I was sweating but the time it started. With water in cups i couldnt get enough. Would be a good idea to actually stop at a few stations drink 2 cups and move. I comfortable broke 3 doing this in other marathons so i would def do it.
    When you train all winter in hte cold a really warm day is tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I did it in 2009. I was sweating but the time it started. With water in cups i couldnt get enough. Would be a good idea to actually stop at a few stations drink 2 cups and move. I comfortable broke 3 doing this in other marathons so i would def do it.

Ill be paying a few visits to the Sauna over the winter so! Heat endurance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I've signed up for this (with my two brothers), this will be my fourth marathon. Looking to take a chunk off a 2:52 PB.

I did up my training schedule yesterday and was looking for a peak training half marathon to do - looking at wicklow half marathon on the 25th which would be three weeks before - anyone thinking similar?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Looked up Wicklow a couple of weeks ago myself. A half marathon 3 weeks before it is a bit too close for me. Would mean sacrificing the last long run unless I did another 10 or so miles on top of that.

I'm thinking of either Kinvara (where going on last years times I could finish fairly high in the rankings) or the one in Meath on the same weekend. Enniscorthy 10k will be one of my warm up races most likely as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'm probably going to do the Craughwell 10m in Galway. I can't see on their site yet what date it will be on but 2 years ago this race was 4 weeks before Rotterdam and I found it perfect. There is quite a bit of recovery from a half raced all out IMO so I'd rather race a 10m. That and the fact that I have a previous time on that course to compare to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

asimonov wrote: »
    I've signed up for this (with my two brothers), this will be my fourth marathon. Looking to take a chunk off a 2:52 PB.

I did up my training schedule yesterday and was looking for a peak training half marathon to do - looking at wicklow half marathon on the 25th which would be three weeks before - anyone thinking similar?
    It's a bit close for a half, isn't it? I'm doing Boston the day after Rotterdam so currently trying to figure out races. Think I'll aim for Ballycotton, earlier in March (4th) and try and find a 10k 2/3 weeks before race weekend (possibly Wicklow 10k).

Gad to see you're signed up for another marathon, to do some serious damage to that PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Guys there's a half marathon in Meath on the 4th March. Would that be of any use?
    See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056448787

Looked up Wicklow a couple of weeks ago myself. A half marathon 3 weeks before it is a bit too close for me. Would mean sacrificing the last long run unless I did another 10 or so miles on top of that.

I'm thinking of either Kinvara (where going on last years times I could finish fairly high in the rankings) or the one in Meath on the same weekend. Enniscorthy 10k will be one of my warm up races most likely as well.

I had planned to run just another 40 minutes on top of the half marathon and then push my last two long runs to 150' the wednesday after and then 135' the following Sunday (31st)
    I'm probably going to do the Craughwell 10m in Galway. I can't see on their site yet what date it will be on but 2 years ago this race was 4 weeks before Rotterdam and I found it perfect. There is quite a bit of recovery from a half raced all out IMO so I'd rather race a 10m. That and the fact that I have a previous time on that course to compare to.

Would love to do craughwell - but its a nightmare to get to from where i am in kilkenny (and you are right about the recovery from the half).
    It's a bit close for a half, isn't it? I'm doing Boston the day after Rotterdam so currently trying to figure out races. Think I'll aim for Ballycotton, earlier in March (4th) and try and find a 10k 2/3 weeks before race weekend (possibly Wicklow 10k).

Gad to see you're signed up for another marathon, to do some serious damage to that PB.

Thanks KC, really looking forward to it. Will do Ballycotton as well i think. I wasn't planning on racing the half, but rather using it as a final preparation long tempo - so running 50' @ 3:50 or so and then hopefully a bit quicker for the final bit.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Guys there's a half marathon in Meath on the 4th March. Would that be of any use?
    See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056448787

thanks meno, that one is probably a little early for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Rotterdam will be my first marathon so, a little help:). tbh i hadn't even considered warm up races when thinking about a plan. Is it necessary or do people just find it sharpens them up? Also, i'd love to do a few races but would a HM not knock the stuffing out of you for a week or two?

corny wrote: »
    Rotterdam will be my first marathon so, a little help:). tbh i hadn't even considered warm up races when thinking about a plan. Is it necessary or do people just find it sharpens them up? Also, i'd love to do a few races but would a HM not knock the stuffing out of you for a week or two?

It really depends on your training schedule. a race during marathon training can help in a number of ways, it can sharpen you mentally, break the monotony of 12 - 18 weeks training, help you practice preparation and fueling etc in a real race environment and for really tough sessions its always slightly easier to run in a race than on your own in training. In terms of knocking the stuffing out of you; that's just about the amount of effort you put in - when you pay your race entry fee you're not obliged to kill it from the start line!

You could incorporate something like a 10 mile race into training very easily, by running 6 - 8 miles easy and then running the race at marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

is anyone considering staying in AMS for this and getting the train on the morning of the race - given the late start?

I could get a clubmate to collect the number for me, it would make it a much more entertaining trip for the OH too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

T runner wrote: »
    Ill be paying a few visits to the Sauna over the winter so! Heat endurance!!!

Winter Bikram Yoga ftw!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can pick up your number on the morning of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

asimonov wrote: »
    I had planned to run just another 40 minutes on top of the half marathon and then push my last two long runs to 150' the wednesday after and then 135' the following Sunday (31st)

Would love to do craughwell - but its a nightmare to get to from where i am in kilkenny (and you are right about the recovery from the half).

Thanks KC, really looking forward to it. Will do Ballycotton as well i think. I wasn't planning on racing the half, but rather using it as a final preparation long tempo - so running 50' @ 3:50 or so and then hopefully a bit quicker for the final bit.

thanks meno, that one is probably a little early for me.

Jaysus you're all scarily organised ....looks like I'd better get my own act together soon ..!:eek:

• Advertisement

Jaysus you're all scarily organised ....looks like I'd better get my own act together soon ..!:eek:

i wouldn't worry lex; my training tends to peak at the planning phase.

Advertisement