Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

• 31-01-2011 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

..... I don't know why- i've been avoiding this for months now but I'm going to take the plunge!

Background- I'm running just over a year now- had a few months off due to injury. First one was because of a fall last March where I hurt my hip, I was just getting to the stage where I could comfortably run 5k, back around May and I done the Letterkenny 10k- jalked the majority (jog/walk!!!) I was going great over the summer and in October I could feel my hips beginning to hurt again, then they hurt more so I decided in November to take a week or two off to see if they got better- then the snow came!
    From that I've only got back in the new year- so far I have mainly being getting out for 4/5k runs due to dark evenings/ work/ OH work and kids have only got one 10k in I ran in 1.03 and one 8k at 49.48. My fastest 5k in 29.23 this year. The total I have ran since the 27th Dec is 72 km. I'm getting out minimum 3 times a week and from two weeks ago one of them has been longer than 5k- hoping to build this up over the next few weeks.

Hopefully I have solved the main reason for my injuries which is I do canicross- I have been sent a new belt (from a very nice lady- thanks) which is like a climbing belt so hopefully will take the impact of the dog pulling from my hips and ditribute it over a wider space (mainly my @ss:o)

My aims for this year is to run some races, I have no idea yet which ones I will do, more than likely I will go back to Letterkenny in May.
    Hopefully one before that and maybe I would be let do some with my dog!!! Hopefully I will go over to the UK when the mushing season starts again in September for an actual canicross race too but we'll see!

I suppose I better give my stats
    Female- almost 34
    Height: 5'7''
    Weight: 82kg (jaw drop!!!) needs to come down by about 2 stone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the new log and the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just to reassure you, when I started running three years ago I was 82 kgs and I'm not much taller: Ok, I'm a guy but anyway..... Now I'm 68/69 kgs and have gone from running 3 or 4 k in training to 34k.

It can be done!! Also had a hip problem funnily enough but I got mine sorted with specially designed insoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Madon.
    I just googled Canicross... never heard of it before. It looks like great fun! I'd love to do that with my mutt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Good Luck with log, I'm only new too so nice to see some new runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Thanks all!
    littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck Madon.
    I just googled Canicross... never heard of it before. It looks like great fun! I'd love to do that with my mutt!

You should give it a try- your dog will love it and you'll never be able to put on your runners again without him/ her expecting to go with you!!!

5k tonight- felt like crap the whole way- was bit of an off night but I still done it in under half hour so I didn't do as bad as I thought.

• Advertisement

Didn't get out last night was hoping to go for a 10k today but didn't.
    So I done an hour sufferfest on the turbo trainer- First time doing it but really enjoyed it- legs didn't or did the dog- going to have to get him a threadmill for when I'm on the turbo trainer:p

Plan was to do my long run this morning and a fast 5k yesterday. Got a slow 5k in (30.19) and a toothache.
    For the next few weeks I'm going to be lucky to get three runs a week from March I should have more time so if I can keep myself ticking over between now and then I'll be happy.

Good thing about this log is that I can see how little I am doing so maybe I will start grabbing more opportunities!
    10k in 1.03 again today but I ran the beach and the tide was fully in so half my run was across loose rock.
    I felt better on that run than the last 10k I done.

5km- 29 mins. Dog stopped for two leg lifts- still I thought I done better than 29:(

Have three 4/5 km runs done since the last post but finding it very hard- heavy legs- had to stop and walk tonight I haven't had to do that in nearly a year- was supposed to go further than 4/5 km too. No explantion- going to just ignore it and see if it goes away!

• Advertisement

3 half mile in just under 45 minutes- while gossiping with a friend- really enjoyed the run:)

2 by 1 hour interval on the turbo trainer Sun and Tues and half hour run tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 fproviders

I started running 4-7k recently. Was a bit of runner in the past.
    What's the best way to protect my back if it is not used to it?

fproviders wrote: »
    I started running 4-7k recently. Was a bit of runner in the past.
    What's the best way to protect my back if it is not used to it?

Sorry didn't see this.
    Are you asking about the belt I use to run the dog?

Done an hour on the turbo trainer- getting addicted to it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 fproviders

If it's a back belt, then yes.

fproviders wrote: »
    If it's a back belt, then yes.

The one I have now is very like a climbing belt- its like a net pair of knickers with two leg loops:eek:. Its very light and comfortable compared to the others I used. I use a bungee lead too which takes the impact.
    I was getting injured a bit (although not since I got this new belt) I wouldn't say it would help if you have a bad back but if canicross is something you want to do I think this belt would be the best to use.

Ran a bad 5 miles this morning- hate morning runs!
    Have a 5k as well that i haven't logged- not a great run either!

Ran 5.23 tonight first time out in a week- was sick and I'm hoping it was the reason for the few bad runs before this.
    Felt great tonight though- was only planning to go about 3 half/4 km but felt that good I stretched it- I felt faster than the 32.11 mins on the watch too but howinever!

7K in a very slow time on Friday- still sickish!

5k in 28 mins.
    Might be running a 10k on Sunday- might give me a push to get out more, LOL!

Done 11k in 1 hr 15 yesterday evening- not sore at all today so happy with that- didn't struggle with the run either so I can step it up a gear.

• Advertisement

Another few 5ks and another 10k that I had to stop due to a coming down with a second dose of the dizzies. Finally over it and done a 10k in 1.01.50 which would be my best time this year. Thought half way through I would get in under the hour but will be determined for the next time!

I've been running 4-7 km for the past few weeks trying to build up speed, ran 10km on Sat and came in just under an hour (59.42) (I crawled the last 100yards:D) Delighted I broke that barrier though!
    Also signed up for a 10km on the may bank holiday:):)

Done the Boyne 10k yesterday. I timed it 58.5 my OH timed it at 56.40 but we'll see what the official time is. Really enjoyed it although it was strange at first running without my dog as pace maker!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

saw ure post just started running today first time ever. always done a bit of sport but never running.

5km -29m 30 sec not bad first effort.
    goal is 5km 25 min.

height 5'7
    weight 74 kg

saw ure post just started running today first time ever. always done a bit of sport but never running.

5km -29m 30 sec not bad first effort.
    goal is 5km 25 min.

height 5'7
    weight 74 kg

Thats brilliant I'm doing 5k in 30 mins, this time last year I had to walk and run a 10k I never thought I'd be able to run 10k without stopping. In February I never thought I'd get a 10k under an hour. Don't aim too high too quick and enjoy what your doing its shocking addictive!

thanks madon will take ure advise into consideration

not so good tonight

4.71km - 27.4m

wont get another one in till next monday.

footy next two days then away for weekend hopefully better times next week

Went 10 km tonight with new runners was planning on going around 13 but got cramps around 9km (stomach) which was really annoying coz I felt great up until then. I want to get my 10km time down to 56 mins by the end of June don't know if I'm aiming too high or too low and i really need to structure what I'm doing better. I don't know how slow I should be doing long runs and how fast i should be doing short runs. Going to have to sit and study it all... just need to find the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

madon wrote: »
    Done 11k in 1 hr 15 yesterday evening- not sore at all today so happy with that- didn't struggle with the run either so I can step it up a gear.

Hi madon, you're putting in times that I would be happy with, I've been stretching my mileage over the last few weeks in prep for my half marathon goal, I spend spare time in work looking at google maps mapping out routes. I have read that you should increase your mileage my 10% per week but my half is only 1 week away, I regret jumping from 15k to 20, I had twinges for a few days.

Hi madon, you're putting in times that I would be happy with, I've been stretching my mileage over the last few weeks in prep for my half marathon goal, I spend spare time in work looking at google maps mapping out routes. I have read that you should increase your mileage my 10% per week but my half is only 1 week away, I regret jumping from 15k to 20, I had twinges for a few days.

Thanks but I think I'm running every time like i'm running a race:rolleyes:, so I don't think I should be putting in those times while training. Thanks for the 10% tip! I won't get out for a LSR til Thursday but I'll only go about 12 k and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

went out today, after a very heavy weekend. very slow no idea what time but had to stop once. only ran 5km :eek: was not happy blamming all the pollen in the air :p

Advertisement