Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Millionaire - now unwatchable?

• 28-11-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I watched the UK version for the first time in a while on Saturday...what a bore! Is anyone else getting tired of the show?

Throughout the show on Saturday I think there was a maximum of ten questions asked! I know that there is drama when someone risks losing a lot of money on one question but I think that the show has now become pretty tired.

Whan a contestant decides to quit, Chris now pauses and invites viewers to text their guess into the show to win £1000 and every two minutes or so he provides the number for people to try to get on the show, this is followed by three or four ad-breaks. For me this is too much, a quiz show should be about questions, answers and prizes (:)) but Millionaire seems to have lsot this completely.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I always found it difficult to watch.. I'd always change the channel for a bit for the for the first 5 or 6 questions as they were always so easy and it was incredibly annoying to watch them be dragged out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not as popular in the US anymore since Regis Philbin doesn't do the show anymore. He was replaced Meredith Vieira. I watched the UK one when I was at home a few weeks ago on Challenge. I agree about being more about prizes than questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I take it that this is Meredith...that must have been awful for her..although I'd say Chase feels worse :)

Are there more questions asked per show in the US or other versions I wonder. I know it depends on the contestant but it seems the UK one is going along the lines of Deal or No Deal, with the tension element becoming more important than contestant knowledge...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Too bad it isn't Burgess Meredith. That would be cool.

Penguin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably would be a decent host, if he were alive. 'For $16,000 weh, weh, weh dollahs!':) I would say there are fewer questions per show in the US one and more ads but not that far off either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

It was certainly UNBEARABLE tonight with that 'How Clean is Your House?' Kim and Aggie pair on it...prime Christmas television?? I think not! it was painful! The blonde one, Kim, was an insufferable bully. It took them half an hour to get to £2000 - they went away with £1000 which I was half delighted about and half not - it was for charity at the end of the day... I actually can't believe I continued to watch it!

On the whole I'm a bit sick of it myself, they should get rid of the £0 - £1000 bit for a start!!! That would help I think!

"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the..."
    A: Hedge
    B: Tree
    C: Bush
    D: YAWN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I don't mind the easy questions as he usually goes through them fairly fast. But it gets annoying when he suddenly starts chatting and making conversation with the contestant about what they do etc. around the £2000 mark. Just get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I assume that, now that it's not nearly as popular as it once was, that they can't afford to give away as much money as before, so they drag the show on longer, instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but its no longer compulsive winning.I love the Millionaire machines in pubs though. I spend way too much money on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been a while since I watched it, anyone got near the big money lately?

The special-editions are a bore - nothing worse than celebrities who are well off pretending they are concerned they might blow some cash they could easily donate to the cause they are supporting.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Anyone think the lower down questions have become ridicilously harder? Or have I jst got stupider :D Alot of the £1000 £2000 questions are obscure gardening and cookery related ones.

Advertisement