Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Household Tax - Boycott

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And remember kids some RTE executive with a mansion in Ballsbridge will be paying the same household tax as Paddy the the street sweeper with a 2 bedroom cottage.
    Fair and balanced as Fox news likes to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

careca11 wrote: »
    We must take a stand , the gov must realise that they need to cut expenditure (espcially from within the amount of money paid to themselves)

I'm with you, and so are the people of Rosscommon, who stoically accepted that their A&E was an unaffordable luxury in the current climate, and assented to its closure.

Oh, no, wait a moment...

The government are slashing expenditure and are being condemned for it. The they seek to raise monies, and are condemned for it. You can;t have it every which way.
    if no-body pays they can't actually do anything to you

Yoooinnnnnnk!

That's the sound of the government swiping the charge from your pay/SW!

!3theraven wrote: »
    If you accept paying €9 a month now, do you think it will still be €9 a month the year after or two years from now? what will you do if and when it comes to €20 a month or more then that? its obvious the €100 a year charge is only a foot in the door tactic to get people to say that,s not much I can afford that, once you say that and accept it, just watch as the goverment rack up the property tax each and every year afterwards.

Its time to now to take a stand and refuse to pay any property tax, if we don,t do it now, we will look back in a good few years time when property tax could be say €1000 a year and wonder why didn,t we resist when they tried to get a foot in the door?

So you're going to protest now against a rather reasonable charge on the entire hypothetical scenario that it could be punitive in years to come? If that were the standard for outrage, we'd be marching against everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ireland's average response: Bend over and take it up the ass to continue funding bailed out gangsters.

WAKE THE F*** UP, PEOPLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In case you missed it, we had an election, and the current Government won it.

They are now doing what they said they would do: sticking to the EU/IMF plan without raising income taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ncc1699 wrote: »
    No crying going on here Meglome. I'm stating my intent to not pay this as I believe I shouldn't have to. It may backfire on me and probably will going by the opinions of some people on this forum.

I'm just stating my opinion on it, like you are stating yours!

But why shouldn't you have to? There are many thing to protest in about this country but a €100 property/water tax isn't one of them IMHO. I keep repeating this... we are not a high tax country especially for the lower paid so it really not unreasonable to pay this charge. As long as the money is used to install water meters so that people ultimately pay for what the use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

In case you missed it, we had an election, and the current Government won it.

They are now doing what they said they would do: sticking to the EU/IMF plan without raising income taxes.

That's a complete con.

"Not raising taxes" while "creating completely new ones" is just another way of doing the stupid "we'll have no new taxes but we'll call this a 'levy'" bull.

It's a tax. It comes (directly or indirectly) out of your income.

Meanwhile the rats that ruined the country get €500,000 payoffs and massive pensions and will never see jail or have to pay compensation or even account for their actions.

Absolutely and utterly sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That's a complete con.

No, it isn't. They specifically said they wouldn't raise income taxes.

Raising levies, fuel taxes, local charges, excise duty etc. etc. is not the same thing, and tends to fall on a broader section of the public. Only half of workers pay income taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

This is a complete joke, well i for one having paid huge stamp duty will NOT be paying any more..... ive prepaid for the next 30 years. Wheres our exemption? Mass Boycott is the only way!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ex: If someone has spent the past 30yrs paying their mortage and now they own their house out right, what exactly can they do if they refuse to pay the tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

bkeano wrote: »
    Its the same as the Poll tax in the UK.
    It's nothing like what they have in UK, and it's called a Council Tax. The UK Council Tax you pay helps pay for the services provided in the area you live in, ie. policing, bins, water charges etc... The rate of Council Tax you pay is based on the value of your home.

All I heard today so far about this new "household tax" is that it is been brought in to generate an annual Revenue of €150 million. It's just another money making racket from which we will see no benefit to us or the towns and cities we live in :mad:. So it is nothing like the UK system.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vanbis wrote: »
    Ex: If someone has spent the past 30yrs paying their mortage and now they own their house out right, what exactly can they do if they refuse to pay the tax?
    Exactly the same as what happens if you don't pay a TV licence, or income tax or a whole pile of other things.

1. Send you a warning notice
    2. Heap on penalty fees
    3. Take you to court
    4. Throw you in jail

I'm confused as to why you think ownership of the property has any bearing on paying such a tax?

I imagine the intention is for all households to pay it (renting or owner), but the logistics of levying a fee on renters is troublesome, so more likely the landlord will be obliged to pay it on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

s_gr wrote: »
    This is a complete joke, well i for one having paid huge stamp duty will NOT be paying any more..... ive prepaid for the next 30 years. Wheres our exemption? Mass Boycott is the only way!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This isn't a replacement of stamp duty though...

Ireland's average response: Bend over and take it up the ass to continue funding bailed out gangsters.

hatpatrick's proposed response: do something, anything, just for the sake of it, to show we have a bit of mettle, then hope to God everything works out all right. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

seamus wrote: »

I'm confused as to why you think ownership of the property has any bearing on paying such a tax?

Just curious was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Those in receipt of mortgage interest supplement will not have to pay the charge, nor will those living in social housing or so-called 'ghost estates'.

Can someone define what a 'ghost estate' is?

Where I live there are houses which have remained unsold and the road in the estate is not finished. People have had to build slopes from the road to the footpath since there is about a 6 inch step between the road and the footpath. There is a slope on the footpath for cars but since the road is not finished or never will be finished since the developer is bust. Does that count as a 'ghost estate' or will a 'ghost estate' be impossible to an exact definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nextbestintown

Thank Christ for this. Tied into a rental lease as house prices collapse further.

This is temporary though. By 2014, there will be an AVERAGE tax of 500eur and a water tax on average of 400eur...

x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Thank Christ for this. Tied into a rental lease as house prices collapse further.

This is temporary though. By 2014, there will be an AVERAGE tax of 500eur and a water tax on average of 400eur...

x

In 2014 we won't have any money left if we keep going at this rate. This is taking more money away for people to spend in shops etc...

The way I see it, the IMF are going to ruin us they don't give a bollox like any company they just want to make money.

And we will be ruined anyway if we don't get money into the country.

So to be honest, we are better just letting this place go to the wall no point in putting it off for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I'm in favour of property tax. We pay management fees of 1.5K to just provide general upkeep of the place we live. This would indicate that those not getting private companies (which don't forget compete) to provide upkeep of their estates are getting at least 1.5K from the state to pay the county council to do it. Unless the public sector is mega efficient and can do it for less which is exceptionally unlikely. It's also a good way to get self employed people who dodge tax to actually pay some.

It would seem fairer then that people pay property tax based on the consumer pays principle. The more upkeep the common areas for your house require the more you should have to pay.

The tax should be in proportion to size of the gaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I'm in favour of property tax. We pay management fees of 1.5K to just provide general upkeep of the place we live. This would indicate that those not getting private companies (which don't forget compete) to provide upkeep of their estates are getting at least 1.5K from the state to pay the county council to do it. Unless the public sector is mega efficient and can do it for less which is exceptionally unlikely. It's also a good way to get self employed people who dodge tax to actually pay some.

It would seem fairer then that people pay property tax based on the consumer pays principle. The more upkeep the common areas for your house require the more you should have to pay.

Not everyone lives in apartments

The tax should be a proportion of houseprice

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ger Walsh

LeixlipRed wrote: »

Also, can anyone tell me how this affects people in rented accommodation? Would the landlord or tenants have to pay?

the property will have the tax applied to it , preventing it being sold , if it is not paid .

So if the tenant moves out of the property , and the landlord puts the property on the market , they will be responsible for the tax being paid

http://irishlandlord.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8800#post8800

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Not everyone lives in apartments
    People in estates are also paying management fees. Particularly any estates built in the last few years. We're ground floor apartment, no lift and on 1.5K per year.
    The tax should be a proportion of houseprice
    Way too difficult to calculate and not keeping in line with consumer pays principle.

If you have a one off house in the country side you are costing the state more money than a terraced house in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not every estate gets upkeep from the council. We don't even get a blade of grass cut by the Kildare CC. Never mind a road sweep etc. Only thing we get from the Kildare CC is junk mail when elections are coming up apart from that sweet fa

Trampas wrote: »
    Not every estate gets upkeep from the council. We don't even get a blade of grass cut by the Kildare CC. Never mind a road sweep etc. Only thing we get from the Kildare CC is junk mail when elections are coming up apart from that sweet fa

Separate issue. If the Kildare CC aren't doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭robbie1

we irish dont protest we bitch and moan about it on sites like this and hope some one else
    will protest for us

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

This country is an absolute joke to be fair, they just make up the rules as they go along which is really p*ssing people off.

I dont mind paying taxes if for example i feel the tax is worthy of paying but paying tax because you own a house. Its a basic right to own your own home and live in it, they should not be taxing you for the privilege.

We really need to start taxing only the people who deserve to pay more tax.

For example, water tax is not a bad idea- if you use more water you pay more money.

Tax of fuel - you use more fuel than you pay more tax

The list can go on but the system needs to be fair, they current proposals are not fair in my opinion.

I know its only 100 euro but its the principle of the way the government are trying to bring these in that really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I paid for the installation and I pay for the maintenance of my own water supply.

I paid for the installation and I pay for the maintenance of my own wastewater treatment.

I pay for my refuse collection.

I have potholes outside my front gates since the freeze that have yet to be repaired.

So I will not be paying this tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭feicim

meglome wrote: »
    I am really sick of all the crying. We are not taxed heavily in this country and the rich are paying most of our taxes. The poorer will either be exempt from paying or will be paying basically no tax already so the €100 is not the end of the world.

If we had been paying a property tax and a water tax all along we would have decent water pipes and we wouldn't have gone mad wasting fast money got from stamp duty

Yeah right... just like the way car tax goes towards maintaining Irish roads...

I don't remember wasting "fast money got from stamp duty"... however I do remember paying a large chunk of it so the government could waste it on my behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The majority of the Irish people didn't cause the situation we find ourselves in, useless politicians and dodgy bankers did!

A big portion of the Irish people did help cause this situation, the banks couldn't have given out so much money if we were not looking for it
    And isn't it ironic how Fine Gael were the party that were lashing fianna fail in the last government for trying to tax the Irish people out of a recession and that they wouldn't succeed with it

It's ironic, but its also common sense that people will say anything to get what they want. Polititions are normal people like you and me!

Advertisement