Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Future Merc Ringer

• 13-02-2012 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm keeping this here for future viewers.

This car was sold by my neighbour about a week ago. I never said anything at the time as the car isn't to my tastes. the reg number is 831 BZD

Full-9635971.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/2932740

Now the car has appeared for sale minus it's plates and logbook :rolleyes: which are staying with it's new owner

I know for a fact the car was actually sound although not original everything could have easily been reversed.

Here is the car now

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/3007381

So whenever Matt Roche goes to sell his original Irish Merc we'll be able to here it RINGING alarm bells in our heads

Things like this make me ****ing sick that an ORIGINAL car is scrapped

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm keeping this here for future viewers.

This car was sold by my neighbour about a week ago. I never said anything at the time as the car isn't to my tastes. the reg number is 831 BZD

Full-9635971.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/2932740

Now the car has appeared for sale minus it's plates and logbook :rolleyes: which are staying with it's new owner

I know for a fact the car was actually sound although not original everything could have easily been reversed.

Here is the car now

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/3007381

So whenever Matt Roche goes to sell his original Irish Merc we'll be able to here it RINGING alarm bells in our heads

Things like this make me ****ing sick that an ORIGINAL car is scrapped

I wonder if a rake of boardsies emailed about the book what would happen....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

galwaytt wrote: »
    I wonder if a rake of boardsies emailed about the book what would happen....

Or email the thread.

Shameful behaviour

Is there an Irish Mercedes Owners club that can be tipped off in case someone goes to buy it in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So the next car 831 BZD turns up attached to is dodgy as hell and most likely a newer car that shouldnt yet be on the cheap tax

mickdw wrote: »
    SO what is he doing, using the identity - bzd on a better/newer car that is not quite on the cheap tax yet?
    I would imagine so or else on a similar MINT pre 1980 car which he wants to claim is an original Irish car and therefore of great value

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

There is, but it is a part of the uk club as such... that guy advertises a lot of uk reg mercs here.. i'd say he has 2 or 3 on donedeal at the moment..I'll keep the reg in mind.

Also that car is a 230.. no injection, afaik anything post 1980 is injected??? Might make it ackward to ring if someone was paying attention:)

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    So the next car 831 BZD turns up attached to is dodgy as hell.
    Well it'll not be an original Irish car as it will no doubt be sold as and I guess it will be avoiding tax in some shape or form

johnty56 wrote: »
    There is, but it is a part of the uk club as such... that guy advertises a lot of uk reg mercs here.. i'd say he has 2 or 3 on donedeal at the moment..I'll keep the reg in mind.

Can you link the ads so we can try and follow where it ends up?

Sorry Mickdw for quoting your posts before you are happy with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jeez is he taking a chance being based in Shannon of all places!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

YOU BASTARDS!! YOU VINTAGE POLICE ARE WRECKING IT FOR EVERYONE ! WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did someone keep a screenshot of the ad in case it disppears? (I dont know how)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

He must have got the idea from boards!!!

I know of a guy with two same colour mercs and just the one set of plates for them, and neither car originally had that reg because its a pre 79 reg and both cars are 1980s models.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Well at least you have managed to find one car thats genuinely dodgy. But then even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

It would be funny to buy it then apply for a replacement book.

. But then even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day. And for once I'm inclined to believe that Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell. Making an enemy of our own future. What we need is harmony, fresh air, stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

:) Class movie..

@Ciarancapri.. that would be the right thing to do.. easy to prove the identity of the vehicle, and once you had a proper receipt from the seller, there is pretty much sweet FA he could do about it.. at least not legally:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

johnty56 wrote: »
    that guy advertises a lot of uk reg mercs here.. i'd say he has 2 or 3 on donedeal at the moment..I'll keep the reg in mind.

And absolutley nothing dodgy about any of the cars he's advertised over the past few months, maybe some of the VRT figures are optimistic , perhaps that W123 is only fit for scrap and he's holding the book so it doesn't get ringed?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2720970

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2904691

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2572738

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2572857

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2795185

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2481106

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2638232

That merc was well maintained I'd be amazed if it was scrap material

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks for pointing out the scam OP. I was wondering what you were talking about at first. That really is shameful behaviour. that car looks grand really. Shame to see it being scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

corktina wrote: »
    did someone keep a screenshot of the ad in case it disppears? (I dont know how)

With plates and log book

cc8c338a-1.jpg

34c72f26.jpg?t=1329224058

and later that day

26912757.jpg?t=1329224064

9c93fdf0.jpg?t=1329224074

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Has si_guru seen this yet!?!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Hi all you that are worrying about the Orange Mercedes. The facts are as follows.( 1) When I saw the car on Done Deal, it looked good, as quite a few of you thought also. When I went to see it, it was a different story. I asked the seller for the TAX Book to check the Chassis No.this is something that I always do. The Chassis No. DID NOT match. I explained to the seller that this car was a RINGER, and could only be Scrapped. That is why there are no TAX BOOK or No. Plated with the car.( 2 ) I want to take the CAR and No. PLATE out of circulation, so as no one else can use them. However, when I dropped the TAX BOOK down to the Dept. of Transport office in Shannon, they said they could not take it, it has to be taken by a breaker, who will give me an end of life certificate for the CAR and the TAX BOOK. He will then notify the Dept. that the car is scrapped
    and he has the Tax Book, which he has to retain for inspection if required. I am also against ringed cars,this is why I wanted this Car and Tax book out of circulation. By the way, the car has a lot of rust, and the engine and gearbox are suspect. Even if it was a straight car, I dont think it was worth doing up, althougt I am very reluctant to scrap W123 Mercs. Regards to all, Matt Roche

I find this incredibly hard to believe because it must have been a ringer from new Matt.......

Anyway the reg has been highlighted here for future reference in case it ever pops u p for sale. Maybe I'm a bit strange but I find the story about you knowingly buying a car to take the book out of circulation very far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Why the feck did you buy a car knowing that the logbook and car didn't match?? Its enough for anyone to steer clear of it. Doesn't make sence to buy a car just to scrap. Sorry I don't buy your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I find this incredibly hard to believe because it must have been a ringer from new Matt.......

Anyway the reg has been highlighted here for future reference in case it ever pops u p for sale. Maybe I'm a bit strange but I find the story about you knowingly buying a car to take the book out of circulation very far fetched.

Just ask your neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

mattroche wrote: »
    I am also against ringed cars,this is why I wanted this Car and Tax book out of circulation. By the way, the car has a lot of rust, and the engine and gearbox are suspect.

You bought a car that you knew had an incorrect tax book, rusty and had engine and gearbox problems as a favour to the wider community?

This reminds me of Alice in Wonderland....
    Curiouser and curiouser!
    I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!
    Well, I never heard it before, but it sounds uncommon nonsense.
    I think I should understand that better, if I had it written down: but I can't quite follow it as you say it.
    What is the use of repeating all that stuff, if you don't explain it as you go on? It's by far the most confusing thing I ever heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I would not be so quick to disregard Matt's story just yet. If you follow the thread it shows that he is dealing with a lot of old Mercs as a business, W123's in particular. So he sells some for the road and some for parts. If he found the orange one to be a ringer and told the seller I am sure he was able to negociate the price down signifigantly and make a handy profit on parts to people that probably bought some other w123's off him.
    Accusing someone of intending to break the law before it happens is not fair even though the assumption is a reasonable one given all that is going on with this lark currently.

So you definatly need a COD to officially scrap a car nowadays?

The fact the seller had a ringer and didn't know is a bad thing too, someone knowingly sold that car on at some stage knowing it was dodgy. This is my main argument about people ringing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

So you definatly need a COD to officially scrap a car nowadays?

The fact the seller had a ringer and didn't know is a bad thing too, someone knowingly sold that car on at some stage knowing it was dodgy. This is my main argument about people ringing stuff.

Sure I agree the law was broken in the past and it could have been when the car was a few years old when it was worth a lot of money. We are now dealing with a low 3 figure sum at the end of life of this particular vehicle. This thread was started on the basis that a future ringer is a high possibility and called into question the bona fidas of the current advertiser. What I am saying is we should not be so quick to make accusations in this case based on what others are doing now and in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement