Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What's virtu mvp? I still do get a wee bit of screen tearing, any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a program that's supposed to utilise your igp to boost the performance of your graphics card. It only does this with weak ass graphics cards but it does have a handy feature in Virtual Vsync.

Normally v-sync has the problem where if you drop below 60 fps, even to 59, your frame rate has to go down to an integer division of 60. If you had a single frame buffer it would drop to 30fps to keep vysnc working properly. Drop below 30 and you're down to 20fps. Virtual v-sync acts as a triple buffer to prevent this happening as well as stopping tearing if you are going over 60fps. It's about the only good feature of the software that works properly.

It's only compatible with certain mobos afaik though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I thought ever since NVIDIA added adaptive v-sync (same idea) to their drivers, AMD enabled something similar (could be wrong here). Doesn't that make MVP pretty much useless now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I haven't seen anything like that but I haven't updated my driver's in a while.

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a 2TB (or 3TB depending on value) internal hard drive. At the moment I just have a SDD internally (and I've been using my ext HDD as a 2ndary drive), no RAID or NAS or anything like that. It'll be used for a bit of storage, video editing/gaming. Although I'm attracted to getting a 3TB, it's prob not worth it seeing as it's an internal drive (ie wait and get a large external instead)

I was interested in the WD Red 3TB, since it's supposed to be a hardcore HDD, runs cooler, used 24/7 with 3 yr warranty, But Tom's Hardware shows it's not got great desktop performance? I'll still be turning the comp off every day, thoughts on the Red?

Anyway my 3 front-runners are :
    Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive for £67

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive for £90
    and
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Internal Hard Drive, £73

Have you guys any input/preferences? Where else could I get HDDs for reasonable prices you'd recommend? Thanks for reading :)

• Advertisement

The WD Reds look quite nice to me... fastest of the 5400RPM drives, the only things beating it are 7200RPM.

3TB Red gets my vote. Slightly better €/GB than the 2TB.

Thanks Sereph. With my current setup (I'm really just looking for more space), I should stick with my current setup (SDD and 1.5TB ext. via USB3.0) and just get a 3TB external? I'm thinking that way, the HDD will last longer (as I'd just plug it in to access files).

I'd nearly trust an internal drive more. Sure it'll be powered on more, but they have a MTBF of something like a million hours (114 years), so I'd trust it being safe and secure in a case vs. out in the open where it could be knocked, dropped, etc. (I lost an ex. HDD to a cat knocking it off a table a couple of years back, and last year to my girlfriend knocking one off a table).

Guys, got a confession. My computer an i5 2500k, ASRock Z68 mobo, 1GB Sapphire Radeon 6870, 550w power supply, but I've never over-clocked it. I messed up the thermal paste initially and never fixed it. I really wanna overclock it! Any suggestions/help?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Guys, got a confession. My computer an i5 2500k, ASRock Z68 mobo, 1GB Sapphire Radeon 6870, 550w power supply, but I've never over-clocked it. I messed up the thermal paste initially and never fixed it. I really wanna overclock it! Any suggestions/help?

Fix the thermal paste, get a decent cooler and go crazy!

• Advertisement

Fix the thermal paste, get a decent cooler and go crazy!

Do I need a new cooler? It's a SuperFlower 550w Amazon. What could I clock it to with this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Do I need a new cooler? It's a SuperFlower 550w Amazon. What could I clock it to with this one?

That's you power supply. I'm talking about your CPU cooler. 2500k is pretty beast when it comes to overclocking so I'm sure you'll get a good overclock.

This is what's under the hood! Hoping to get away without buying new stuff?

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    GPU: Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E
    Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    SSD: Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")
    RAM: 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro
    Power Supply: Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    Case: Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius silber/schwarz
    Monitor: ASUS VS228H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2500K is a good overclocker but a 6870 is dated at this stage. You'd see large gains at 1080p with a new card without overclocking. Not that you shouldn't overclock still, but in this case it'd be the GPU not the CPU holding you back.

I have two problems with getting a new GPU, the cost of it, and admitting it to my console-only buddy. He'd have a field-day seeing me upgrade so (relatively) soon after buying!

Hey guys! In the market again, would love some input before making an order. My GPU (Radeon Sapphire 6870 1GB) is giving me grief again, it's crashing a few times and having to use the HDMI port on the mobo and it being not recognised. I checked around dublin and it seems nobody does repairs (?) so it's time go shopping.

Could you have a look over this? I've been looking at a new GPU, looking for best value with a nice bit of power - specifically the Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5.

1. Would you recommend another card over it? My budget is around €200-230 but of course cheaper is better!

2. Silly question but is it compatible with an i5 2500k, ASRock Z68 mobo and Super Flower Amazon 550W?

3. Also are there differences in the type of GTX 760 to buy? What'd be best? Looking a results there's ~40 quid difference between models.

Thanks

Advertisement