Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

receeding hair

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Stone Cold Steve Austin got a buzz cut because he was going bald. I wonder if he would have had credibility as "Stone Cold" is he was just some guy with a receeding hairline. Random thought...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I made a post about Propecia in another thread.

This poison should be taking off the market.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92148912&postcount=28

Also here's another great article by Dr Andrew Rynne on Propecia.

http://medicaladviceforyou.com/baldness-cure/

Baldness is natural

Male Pattern Baldness - the statistics
    The global statistics for male pattern baldness or hair loss are quite staggering and of course speak for themselves:
    • 40% of men will have noticeable hair loss by age 35.
    • 60% of men will have noticeable hair loss by age 60.
    • 70% of men will have noticeable hair loss by age 80.
    • The hair transplant business in America is worth $ 1.3 billion annually.
    • In 2010 worldwide 279,381 men had surgical hair transplants.

So what does all this tell you? It should tell you quite simply that male pattern baldness is a normal age related phenomena. It should tell you that it is not a disease or a condition that requires medical treatment. That said, it also shows that there are an awful lot of men out there who simply do not accept this testosterone and age related natural phenomena. And equally, there are plenty of doctors out there who are all too ready to exploit this weakness in men’s self-image and confidence.
    An inability to accept yourself as you are reflects a lack of self confidence or self esteem. It comes from within not from without. As Eleanor Roosevelt so wisely pointed out: “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” When I see a bald man walk into a room I see self confidence and someone to be admired. When I see a man walk into a room wearing an ill-fitting toupee I see weakness and I feel sorry for him. I have always counselled patients that if they are having self esteem issues as a result of baldness then the first point of remedy should be a psychotherapist rather than a doctor.

Baldness cure - Propecia, Proscar or Finasteride

This drug group was designed and licensed to treat Benign Prostate Hyperplasia and to slow down the progress of metastatic prostate cancer. Its action is to block the conversion of Testosterone into Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is the potent active form of this androgen or sex hormone. In a word, Finasteride renders testosterone useless. Once the testosterone can’t act on the hair follicles it slows down the balding process. It does have side effects though.

The sexual side-effects of Finasteride

The sexual side-effects of Finasteride may appear while the man is taking it or, more usually, when he stops taking it. To say that these side-effects go away when the man stops taking Finasteride is a lie peddled by those making a fortune in prescribing it. The sexual side-effects of Finasteride remain on indefinitely and there is, as yet, no cure or proper understanding of them. Symptoms of Post Propecia Syndrome vary a lot from victim to victim but the chief ones would be:
    • Total loss of libido or sex drive.
    • Loss of nocturnal or spontaneous erections.
    • Penile numbness.
    • Testicular atrophy.
    • Erectile dysfunction.
    • Sexual Adhedonia or the inability to experience any pleasure from sexual stimulation or ejaculation.
    • Insomnia, anxiety, brain fog and depression leading to suicide.
    • Urinary frequency disturbing night’s sleep.
    What percent of men taking Finasteride develop Post Propecia Syndrome? As yet we do not have accurate figures for this question. It could be as high as 2% but does that matter? If only one man in a thousand developed this horrible, hideous life sapping disease then that, in my opinion would be one too many. I would not recommend taking Finasteride as a treatment for male pattern baldness but rather consult with your doctor on alternative treatment options. If you would like to gain a professional medical opinion on how best to deal with balding then use the link to contact us for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

So what is in the pipeline as an alternative?

Do we have any at the minute? There is always talk of next generation treatments most of which seem to be based on stem cell treatment.

So what is in the pipeline as an alternative?

Do we have any at the minute? There is always talk of next generation treatments most of which seem to be based on stem cell treatment.

They are looking at using an Arthritis drug to treat hair loss.

I think this is also a bad idea god knows what side effects will come from that drug if its used to treat hair loss.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/news/20140620/hairless-man-now-hairy-thanks-to-arthritis-drug

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Lads, we're onto medical advice territory here. I'll have to lock it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement