Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

BPBP oxman at the minute.

like nothing this newbie has had before. preceeded with a london porter.

good evening so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

they didn't, and I didn't get it in the bottle, ridiculously strong, as is the Dr Rudi.

I did, however, leg it across the road to pick up a bottle of their 3rd beer which is having a blind tasting on twitter this week. And I brought home a growler full of Dark Arts.

What's the new beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What's the new beer?

I don't know, it's literally wrapped in a brown paper bag with a sticker asking the purhcaser to not remove the bag until after the blind tasting on Thursday evening. It's in a brown bottle, and holding it up to the light it looks cloudy, so best guess is something like maybe a Weiss, but that's too obvious really.

I was talking to the bar man in LMG about it, and he was staying tight lipped about it too.

I'm sure there are people out there who've bought it and opened it already, but I want to get involved in the #BPBPBT blind tasting on Twitter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sunday was my birthday so I had a few treats this week.

Sunday night I had:
    Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop IPA (3/4 pint)
    Thornbridge Smoked Porter (can't remember the name, starts with a D, 3/4 pint).
    Hoptimum (a present, 355ml bottle)
    Dr. Rudi (1/2 pint)

Also this past week I'd an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin, A Caledonian Brewing Co 80 Shilling, Galway Bay Full Sail and Stormy Port, Brewdog #Mashtag and a few pints of Punk and 5am Saint and a Thornbridge Jaipur and Chiron.

Not a bad week beer wise me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Kona Koko Brown over the weekend. It's brewed with real toasted coconut which adds a beautiful creamy coconut flavour to the beer.

I love coconut so I adored this beer. It's world's apart from that monstrosity that is Mongozo (Coconut).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Kona Koko Brown over the weekend. It's brewed with real toasted coconut which adds a beautiful creamy coconut flavour to the beer.

I love coconut so I adored this beer. It's world's apart from that monstrosity that is Mongozo (Coconut).

I've rambled on about it a few times here, and had one last night, even. It really is subtle and much more than a "coconut flavoured beer" which I thought I was going to be getting. One of the best I've tried this year. Their Big Wave has replaced Dead Pony Club for my "starter".

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've rambled on about it a few times here, and had one last night, even. It really is subtle and much more than a "coconut flavoured beer" which I thought I was going to be getting. One of the best I've tried this year. Their Big Wave has replaced Dead Pony Club for my "starter".

Yeah it's a nice sweet brown ale but with a nice hint of coconut. I feared it be the usual, make a beer and add some real sickly artificial like flavouring, but it was nothing like that.

I'm actually quite impressed with Kona, they have some really nice beers.

I can't remeber which of the Firerock and Longboard I found the nicest, but one was great and the other decent enough.

Surprised to see Black Ball porter in O'Briens yesterday. No too bad at €4.49, so I had to.

I can't remeber which of the Firerock and Longboard I found the nicest, but one was great and the other decent enough.

Surprised to see Black Ball porter in O'Briens yesterday. No too bad at €4.49, so I had to.

I actually had a bottle of Longboard last night that I had picked up in Superquinn. It was in a different shaped bottle than the one I'd gotten in Drinkstore. I think it's a great beer.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I like the newer stumpier bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just back from a weekend in London and spent a very enjoyable Friday evening in a craft pub called The Draft House on Seething Lane near Tower Bridge. The list of beers include;
    Flying Dog Raging bitch (Draft)- Lovely beer but on the strong side so only had a few.
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo ( Draft) - Very nice. No complaints
    Little Creatures Pale Ale (Bottle) - Nice. Was expecting more.
    Titantic Stout ( Draft) - Very nice Stout.
    Camden Pale Ale (Cask) - Very mild but nice.

Cant remember any more......:)

The rest of the weekend was spent drinking London Pride on cask when ever I got the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

8 Degrees Barefoot Bohemian

Mediocre at best IMO & I really like their Porter & Howling Gale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm in chicago for work at the moment. Not sure if I'll get to the city to see bars but if I get a chance to go to an offie, what should I look for that you won't get back home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

matrim wrote: »
    I'm in chicago for work at the moment. Not sure if I'll get to the city to see bars but if I get a chance to go to an offie, what should I look for that you won't get back home?

Any of the three floyds brewing company beers.
    Especially alpha king and dreadnought. I had the alpha king last year and I've dreadnought coming to me this September!:)
    Where abouts in Chicago are you staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale...I'm going to need to get new leathers for the bike if I keep quaffing this stuff :eek:

A damn fine libation :D

matrim wrote: »

Go to a Goose Island bar. They will have limited editions and seasonals that you won't get here and most of their beers ate top notch.

You have to try Goose Island Bourbon County. I know they have it here, but still. Their Christmas Ale is great, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin Ale; hoppy like an IPA and very nice.

Ipso wrote: »

Where did you get Lagunitas?

They are a tiny brewery in Petaluma California and I actually knew someone who works in the brewery, they make a great session Pale Ale called "Day Time" which I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Seaneh wrote: »

They are a tiny brewery in Petaluma California and I actually knew someone who works in the brewery, they make a great session Pale Ale called "Day Time" which I've had.

At least where I am in Chicago now Lagunitas seems to be in a good few places. I've been in 4 bars and 3 of them had it. I'm not sure if it's the one Ipso mentioned as it was just down as Lagunitas IPA on draft. In 2 of the place it was nice. In one it wasn't great but the quality of all the beer in that place was very poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Seaneh wrote: »

I just moved to outside San Francisco; I got the Sumpin Sumpin as a gift and had their IPA in a bar (that was lovely too, probably the same one matrim had). I hope to get to 21st Amendments bar in the city soon, their Back in Black Dark IPA is excellent.

I just moved to outside San Francisco; I got the Sumpin Sumpin as a gift and had their IPA in a bar (that was lovely too). I hope to get to 21st Amendments bar in the city soon, their Back in Black Dark IPA is excellent.

The friend who brought me the bottle of Pliny the Elder in June is actually from Petaluma (where Lagunitas are based), it's a great little town to visit as it's slap bang in the middle of loads of great breweries and only 15 miles from the Russian River brewpub.

Go visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It is an IPA, a cracking beer

Had a bottle of Jackhammer by Brewdog last night. Jesus Christ this beer is bitter! Way too bitter. Underneath there's a nice enough (Brewdog style) IPA, but the lasting bitterness just doesn't go away, a couple of hours later and I could still feel it in my mouth. Their blurb says that it's 200 theoretical IBUs, but also that it's actually 100 IBUs. Either way, it's way too much for a beer that hasn't turned up the sweetness to balance it, like the way a lot of US style IPAs do.

Did I mention it's too bitter?

Lagunitas is all I drank in Las Vegas. It's the only decent beer I could find where I was, so I have fond memories of it.

Also, I found somehwhere in Amsterdam that does Pliney The Elder, so I'm going to see what gigs are on there, so I'm not just shooting over for a beer (even if it is worth it) Trying to convince some lads to do a short round trip to Flanders to try W12 from the pub beside the monastery, too. Beer holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Also, I found somehwhere in Amsterdam that does Pliney The Elder, so I'm going to see what gigs are on there, so I'm not just shooting over for a beer (even if it is worth it) Trying to convince some lads to do a short round trip to Flanders to try W12 from the pub beside the monastery, too. Beer holiday.

Who goes to Amsterdam just for beer eh? With a bunch of lads. :pac:

Scortho wrote: »
    Who goes to Amsterdam just for beer eh? With a bunch of lads. :pac:

Yeah, the missus shot me a look when I said it too. Might have to bring her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Last night I had :

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale this tasted less strong then I remembered it from the Beerfest last year.
    I really like the smell when pouring this as you get loads of bourbon and a woody smell.
    Its a real sipping beer and can only drink one.

Moved on to 8 Degrees Barefoot Bohemian Pils enjoyed it last night but its just a middle of the road beer for me. I prefer Howling Gale.

Also was in Fade Street Social(not my choice) last night and they had a list of Irish beers on their menu but apart from Howling Gale they had no stock of anything else Irish.
    Shame really as I had 15 work colleagues from the US and Asia who all wanted to try Irish beer but not Guinness.
    The worst part was asking for a beer like Belfast Lager and 5 mins later a waiter would come back and say no we have none.
    3 beers in a row this happened on and left a bad impression on some of the guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement