Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about using a painting in a story

• 07-11-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    I have a strange question I don't know if anyone can answer. I was wondering if there would be any problems describing a known painting by a living artist in a story of mine. Are there any restrictions on this type of thing like copyright or would permission have to be granted?
    Sorry if it seems like a silly question but I've no idea!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

No, copyright applies to words used, not an idea or intent. You can describe away. The only time it might be an issue is if you were describing an idea that could be developed. I believe there were a few scientific breakthroughs that couldn't be patented because they had already been described in SF stories. But that doesn't apply to paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cat78

Hi Eileen,
    Thanks a million for that, very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

A sort-of related question... I'm writing a fantasy novel and I hit on the idea of using words out of context to represent a language barrier where the same spelling might mean different things in different countries. E.g. "teach" in Irish is a house, but in English the same five letters mean to impart knowledge. Or like French where a word with the same Greek or Latin elements might have a different meaning to an English word.

In the novel I might use "disgrace" to mean a curtsey, or "descendant" to mean someone who's come down in the world. I thought of using "stratocaster" as an official title for a monarch. OFC it's a trademark for a guitar. Would this land me in trouble if I'm lucky enough to have the novel published?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It's a reach, but it might. An American publisher I've written for has a long list of trademarks which you must be careful when using. Basically, use them in context and not in an abusive way.

However, I have a few reservations about using words in a different way. The trouble is that the reader is used to using the word in the normal context and will read the sentence with "teach" used as a way of importing knowledge, then have to go back and reread it as house when it doesn't make sense like that. Every time you cause the reader to stumble and reread, it's another opportunity for her to decide to go and watch Big Bang instead.

I suggest limiting the number of non-standard words you use to things which stand out as being impossible on present-day earth.

Advertisement