Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dylan Hartley
    ambid wrote: »
    For the non culchies among you, a bullock is actually a castrated bull. O'Brien might appreciate a different nickname as he doesn't play like a fella who has had that particular procedure. :)

Yes but for people not culchies, a bullock runs around the field knocking over everything in its path.

A bull, like Hayes, is slow and uses power to knock over 1 person on the field

Thats why O'Brien will always be a bullock(apart from castration). He will knock the crap out of everything all over the pitch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Joe does it again and shows us all for the fools we are! :pac:

Great to see Dev and Brad in the row, I think that partnership has bags of potential. And if the forwards can provide some good quick ball that back line could do serious damage. The back-row is the obvious shock with no SOB. But to be able to spring him, Strauss and Healy from the bench is a massive boost.

And the bench looks savage. Whatever about the starting XVs there can be no doubt that Leinster have the stronger bench. The only thing I would question is whether we might be better off having Strauss starting. Between himself, Locky, Jenno, Heaslip and Drico we could make the breakdown utter hell for Munster in the first 50-60???

Dylan Hartley
    .ak wrote: »
    On a side note, this must be a great experience for Thorn...

Strauss mentioned in an interview on the BlueMagic website, the first time he played in a Munster v Leinster derby he was shocked and amazed by the whole occasion - the training leading up to it, the hype, the intensity of the players. I think he said something along the lines of he found it the most scary and amazing times of his professional rugby career. Might be over-doing it a bit, I'll try and find a link, but there's no doubt that these games are a special occasion and it's great have an ambassador in the form of Thorn coming from a world cup winning AB team to witness it up front.

One thing, it will improve the viewing figures in Southern hemp!

Dylan Hartley
    ambid wrote: »
    For the non culchies among you, a bullock is actually a castrated bull. O'Brien might appreciate a different nickname as he doesn't play like a fella who has had that particular procedure. :)

Forgot to mention, and as a Leinster supporter, there will only be the one Bull..........and that is the Bull Hayes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Dylan Hartley
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, and as a Leinster supporter, there will only be the one Bull..........and that is the Bull Hayes

Well O'Brien could be the young bull... "the calf"?

No maybe that's not the most intimidating nickname...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dylan Hartley
    Delighted to see Ross back, and Hagan being fit enough for the bench too. I'm a big fan that second row and I hope it works well. I have to worry about SOB is still feeling any after effects from the infection he suffered with during the 6 nations.

I am slightly disappointed to see D'arcy ahead of McFadden but McFadden seems to be thought of as utility in a lot of ways and Joe must want someone on the bench who can come in anywhere from 11-14.

I'm surprised to see Horan ahead of WDP, but Horan seems to bring a little bit of extra passion to games against Leinster so maybe thats what McGahan is looking for. The locks more or less pick themselves with Ryan, POC, Nagle and Foley all injured.

I'm looking forward to seeing the backrow in action, TOD can feel disappointed not to be picked but he will get a chance from the bench to stake a claim.

Will we see Wallace next week in the RDS for the A match.

Hurley has the right to feel agrieved about not making the 23 but its probably the right decision with Earls being available to cover the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dylan Hartley
    reckon Darcy starting is Schmidt trying to rebuild his confidence, i'd have gone with McFadden.
    Scarey that O'Malley cant even make the bench.

Schmidt picked such a smart team, rest up Healy & SOB, start Cronin who needs game time, picking Tonar & McLaughlin targets the lineout.

injuries have really exposed the lack of strength in depth in munster's squad. It might be the biggest provincial squad but there's a lack of quality in depth.

Looking forward to seeing DOC2 and Zebo up against real competition, how zebo plays up against Nacema will be interesting, great experience for him.

Someone up above suggested they were delighted that Jennings was starting as they didnt rate him, Jennings is critical to the way Leinster play and i'm delighted he is starting.

not wishing to be cocky but i can see a blood thirsty thomand crowd having an impact in keeping a weak munster 22 within 10 points of Leinster.
    either way, i just hope there are no injuries to either team, big HC weekend coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley
    .ak wrote: »
    On a side note, this must be a great experience for Thorn...

Strauss mentioned in an interview on the BlueMagic website, the first time he played in a Munster v Leinster derby he was shocked and amazed by the whole occasion - the training leading up to it, the hype, the intensity of the players. I think he said something along the lines of he found it the most scary and amazing times of his professional rugby career. Might be over-doing it a bit, I'll try and find a link, but there's no doubt that these games are a special occasion and it's great have an ambassador in the form of Thorn coming from a world cup winning AB team to witness it up front.
    In fairness Strauss had barely seen much top level rugby at the time whereas Thorn has seen it all. As much as I love de classic I'd doubt it compares to the state of origin game or the world cup final! Hopefully his big game experience will let him contribute from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Dylan Hartley
    I'm surprised to see so many posters think that Leinster can target Munster's lineout. Leinster so have an advantage, but its nothing huge imo.

DOC is a very competant jumper at 2 and has shown at all levels that he is capable of disrupting the opposition throw. I'd probably put him just ahead of Thorn.

Toner is a giant, but considering his size he isn't a great lineout operator. MOD on the other hand is a fantastic lineout operator and is in no real step down from POC. Toner has half a foot on him, but MOD is a better operator.

POM is a very good lineout forward throughout the line. He is very similar to McL in that respect, but is obviously not yet at the same level.

Heaslip is a good, safe jumper at the back of the lineout. He won't destroy the opposition, but he will guarantee ball. I haven't seen much from DOC2.0 to fully make up my mind, but I'd rate him as a good option. He is tall and can play at lock, so he obviously has some talent from touch.

Cronin will probably be the most likely weakness in the Leinster setpiece form touch. He is notoriously wobbly from touch and playing in a packed Thomond Park with his friends, family and another 18k supporters routing against his side, I'd be worried about him.

As I said, I'd gve Leinster the nod. They have slightly better jumpers throughout, but I don't think the superiority is there to warrant the targeting of Munster's lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dylan Hartley
    I'm surprised to see so many posters think that Leinster can target Munster's lineout. Leinster so have an advantage, but its nothing huge imo.

DOC is a very competant jumper at 2 and has shown at all levels that he is capable of disrupting the opposition throw. I'd probably put him just ahead of Thorn.

Toner is a giant, but considering his size he isn't a great lineout operator. MOD on the other hand is a fantastic lineout operator and is in no real step down from POC. Toner has half a foot on him, but MOD is a better operator.

POM is a very good lineout forward throughout the line. He is very similar to McL in that respect, but is obviously not yet at the same level.

Heaslip is a good, safe jumper at the back of the lineout. He won't destroy the opposition, but he will guarantee ball. I haven't seen much from DOC2.0 to fully make up my mind, but I'd rate him as a good option. He is tall and can play at lock, so he obviously has some talent from touch.

Cronin will probably be the most likely weakness in the Leinster setpiece form touch. He is notoriously wobbly from touch and playing in a packed Thomond Park with his friends, family and another 18k supporters routing against his side, I'd be worried about him.

As I said, I'd gve Leinster the nod. They have slightly better jumpers throughout, but I don't think the superiority is there to warrant the targeting of Munster's lineout.

i wouldnt expect thorn to be jumping against DOC, i'd imagine it will be McLaughlin. Leinster's 3 main jumpers will be Tonar, McL and Heaslip. Thorn will be saving his energy for ruck obliteration.

• Advertisement

Dylan Hartley
    Toner has been superb in the lineout this year. Some of his steals (from Richie Gray no less) and takes over his head have been majestic.

Up to this season I would have questioned his technical skill but he's really excelled in that area of his game lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley

Toner is a fantastic lineout operator, he's huge and has great hands, it's probably his best area. I would also rate McLaughlin better in the lineout than any backrower in Ireland at the moment, but POM has talent there. Heaslip just adds to the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Dylan Hartley
    ...Toner is a giant, but considering his size he isn't a great lineout operator...

Interesting. Why do you think this? He has added real aggression to his game this year, I can't think of when he's been beaten in air, and I think Toner has been outstanding in the lineout all season. The rest of his game has also improved enormously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dylan Hartley
    Tox56 wrote: »
    Toner is a fantastic lineout operator, he's huge and has great hands, it's probably his best area. I would also rate McLaughlin better in the lineout than any backrower in Ireland at the moment, but POM has talent there. Heaslip just adds to the options.
    He's also slightly slow getting into the air. He has improved but there is still some way to go.

It doesn't have a massive effect on Leinster ball but it often makes him a half second to slow to get a steal on opposition ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Toner is a giant, but considering his size he isn't a great lineout operator.

There's always a but :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    He's also slightly slow getting into the air.

It doesn't have a massive effect on Leinster ball but it often makes him a half second to slow to get a steal on opposition ball.

Jumping where he does in the lineout, that is less important, especially when you're 6'11. He is slower, but most of the time he could jump without lifters and he'd still be taller than most opposition jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyone that can school Gray and Kellock like Toner did in the lineout has obvious skills.

Dylan Hartley

Blind optimism. Have you watch Toner this season at all? or is this just based on comments made on boards by people who haven't been to any games?

Toner has been great this season, in line out and in the open. Will be good to see him get a run out with Thorn.

Also remember last season he was great at start of season but fell off towards the later half. He needed to build his body up which he has done this season. Also he had a lack of confidence after a few games last season when the great minds that are RTE kept calling him into question. Better off not listening to there crap.

I can't remember who he was playing against last year. It was on RTE2. Anytime he got the ball you had a pile of crap from commentary team about how he was too tall. No actual reasons for why they picked on him. Just crap like that. Leinster trashed the team and all hook could say at end was abotu Toner, no congrats for Leinster, just picking on one player. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Dylan Hartley
    Toner has really come into his own this season, he's realised how much momentum he brings into contact and has coupled that with a new agressive attitude to running at the opposition.

In the lineout he seems to be able to steal for fun off opposition. Both him anf Locky have gone head to head against some very good lineout oposition this year (Richi Gray etc) and have come out on top.

Joe has very deliberately pick this pack for its rucking and lineout strengths, rather than massive ball carrying, but that will change in the second half when Sean and Healy come on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Delighted with Toner getting the start. Has deserved everything he has gotten this year. Has really put in the work and brought his game to a new level. I remember watching him a year or two ago and thinking he would never make it on a top class team but I'm pleased he has proved me wrong.

Judging by our bench I think we will win it in the last 20. Quite explosive and bruising operators there.

I love how in Leinster V Munster games form means absolutely nothing. Both teams raise their games and the players are always well up for it. They are the best games of the year and I couldn't be looking more forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Joe has very deliberately pick this pack for its rucking and lineout strengths, rather than massive ball carrying, but that will change in the second half when Sean and Healy come on

Exactly. This team is selected to win their line out ball, secure the scrum and win the breakdowns, keeping the ball away from Munster at the ruck. It's a keep ball selection. Leinster won't necessarily attack Munster's ball or set piece specifically but they'll make sure they keep their own. Healy, McFadden, Boss, SOB and Strauss will all come on between 50 and 60 minutes and go at Munster then if the plan has worked. The likes of MOD and Botha who aren't really 80 minute men will not fancy those guys coming on and the game speeding up by 10% after an hour.

Still fancy Munster by a single score but I think Leinster are going about it the best way possible.

Dylan Hartley
    One thing I think that could hurt Munster is Botha going off. If he does go off after 60 minutes you will more than likely see Leinster react by switching their LH. You'll have Healy up against Archer and probably Strauss adding more pressure beside him.

Jaysus I can't wait. Raging I'm not home for this one (have to save my trips home for the Heineken in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Leinster
    antogz1979 wrote: »
    Munster team named below. Wallace not making the bench is a bit of a disappointment. Murphy is the right call for me anyway over Hurley. Hurley doesn't make the bench either. Delighted for DOC2 deserves the start.

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; R O’Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O’Callaghan,M O'Driscoll; Dave O'Callaghan, P O’Mahony, J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes.

Edit never noticed Horan starting, now that is a strange one.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is Hurley injured?

Very strange omission.

Wally being out means TOD and DOC2.0 gets a great chance to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but is Hurley injured?

The word on MFans is a slight back strain, should be back for the following week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    I notice that Leinster are surging ahead in the poll; is that since the teams were announced, or a load Munster cute hoors trying to get an underdog mentality going? Even Dylan Hartley is closing the gap...

One thing I think that could hurt Munster is Botha going off. If he does go off after 60 minutes you will more than likely see Leinster react by switching their LH. You'll have Healy up against Archer and probably Strauss adding more pressure beside him.

By the same token, if Ross goes off early it might help Munster out.

Dylan Hartley

Jaysus I can't wait. Raging I'm not home for this one (have to save my trips home for the Heineken in fairness).
    After thinking more about this I've realised that leinster could be in the exact same position with Hagan v. Du Preez!

After thinking more about this I've realised that leinster could be in the exact same position with Hagan v. Du Preez!

Ya, that match-up got Munster a penalty try in the last game.

If it came down to it, I'd prefer to throw Archer on and spare Botha for the following weekend. That's the bigger game really.

EDIT: My mistake, it was actually Horan that was on against Hagan for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Whoo there!!! Everone seems to be writing both Hagan and Archer off here; if you ask me this is a really big lift for both to be included in such a big match up and will do both the world of good; neither has the advantage as they will most likely, barring any serious injuries to starting front rowers, be facing each other with fresh strong loose heads so its all to play for and i cant wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Dylan Hartley

Sorry, you put DOC ahead of Brad Thorn? Seriously?

Have to disagree. Thorn is 37 but there is no comparison.

Advertisement