Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hard drive problem

• 13-12-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I'm not too techie so this may be a simple problem to solve. A few weeks ago my Dell 510m gave up, i think it was the motherboard that finally gave in. you had to squeeze it on the left hand side in order to get it to turn on and prevent it from crashing. Anyway I had most of my stuff backed up apart from a few files which i now need. As far as I know the HDD is ok in it. how would I go about getting the data off it. its ultra-ata as far as I know. Is there a simple procedure where i could install it in another machine as a secondary drive temporarly where I could copy all the data off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishWhite

Maplin sell an ata to USB cable that works with both ata laptop and desktop drives you simply take the drive out and hook it up to another computer with the lead and it shows up as a removable drive then you can browse it and transfer your photos music etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Thanks for that!

Advertisement