Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ahern to Launch ESB Network (again) later.

• 02-02-2004 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

He launched a few bits of it before so now he is launching the lot in one go again completely, then he will launch the first STM1 then he will launch the First Gig E and yadda yadda , its still the same ESB fibre network......... story on Silicon Republic Here

"ESB Telecom will be offering high-speed broadband packages including
    STM4 (622 Mbps) lines for €400,000 a year;
    STM1 (155Mbps) lines for €100,000 a year;
    Ethernet (100Mbps) lines for €50,000 a year and
    34Mbps for €50,000 per annum."

12 out of 19 Mans connected already.

M

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    Which 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

Yes, please tell which 12 so i can hook up with it!
    when and how will these work. will esatbt/utv be able to buy this and sell it on??:confused:

j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

He launched a few bits of it before so now he is launching the lot in one go again completely, then he will launch the first STM1 then he will launch the First Gig E and yadda yadda , its still the same ESB fibre network......... story on Silicon Republic Here

"ESB Telecom will be offering high-speed broadband packages including
    STM4 (622 Mbps) lines for €400,000 a year;
    STM1 (155Mbps) lines for €100,000 a year;
    Ethernet (100Mbps) lines for €50,000 a year and
    34Mbps for €50,000 per annum."

M
    Hmm, so, I know this is entirely unreasonable, but supposing that subsidised fibre to the home was in place, and taking into account the contention adsl is said to have from eircom of 48:1.

We then take the 100mbps @50,000
    divide by 48....
    get 1041 or so.
    now that's still abit on the expensive side for consumers.
    So let's halve the bandwidth (and the pirce).
    So we have 520 euro per year for 50Mbps
    divide by 12.
    Get 43 euro or so a month.
    So um, 50Mbps for 43 euro a month anyone?

Heh, if only it would happen. Or are my figures well off the mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Hmm, so, I know this is entirely unreasonable, Or are my figures well off the mark?

Yes ...... consider both ends of the fibre.

At the local end of the fibre you need a DSLAM in a street cab (€c. 400 per port installed) on the pavement outside the exchange and LLU at €14.50 MONTH EX VAT to get your line off Eircom .... 200 ports or so but ADSL2 as standard which supports 16Mbps at 2km or thereabouts dropping to 256k at 7km.

At the far end you need an internet port of 100Mbits and a block of c. 256 real IP addresses, about another €150k a year I'd say....in Dublin.

You should be able to offer 10Mbps at €100-120 a month and 2mbps at about €40-50 a month.

Start by applying for planning permission to the local authority for your street cab and write to Dermot Ahern saying you need a directive to Comreg on LLU PDQ :D No voice service possible save VoIP .

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Muck, lend us a quarter mill there bud, will ya?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Muck, lend us a quarter mill there bud, will ya?

Dermie will give ya half of it if it is a Group BB Scheme....you are offering Genuine low contention Broadband and not the scabby Eircom rubbish after all. Get 200 punters (one per port) to shellack €200 each into a kitty and you only need to borrow €80k or 33% of the cost. The DSLAM should also support SDSL for certain customers who may need it for servers and stuff.

Local County Enterprise Board should be good for €10k - €15 k of that €80k seeing as the neighbourhood will get a competitive advantage over the next county :D

Couple of Euro whodyamacallits you can tap for a few bob in development grants and the like.

Crack that spreadsheet open Adam

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Surely Muck your not suggesting subsidised BB are you ?

Next thing you know we'll be putting services in where its not economically viable, and the demand does'nt justify!!!!:D

Wexfordman

Originally posted by wexfordman
    Next thing you know we'll be putting services in where its not economically viable, and the demand does'nt justify!!!!:D
    Please don't start me on the Luas Wexfordman :D

The point I was trying to make was that IF the fibre was there it would then be possible to provision a street cab DSLAM with 200 ports, each capable of ADSL2 and SDSL/HDSL for about €80k. I was thinking of somewhere like Kinnegad as it happens.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by wexfordman
    Surely Muck your not suggesting subsidised BB are you ?

What, you don't think 200 users would make a system economically viable, Wexfordman?

Of course I notice that neither you nor Muck have any intention of putting your money where your mouth is. (In fairness to Brendan Minish, if he could get 200 users to invest a couple of months subscription up fornt in his scheme, he'd probably be doing something about it, rather than doing the beal bocht in here.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    What, you don't think 200 users would make a system economically viable, Wexfordman?
    Yes it would....as I said before it would be fantabulous somewhere like Kinnegad.
    Of course I notice that neither you nor Muck have any intention of putting your money where your mouth is. (In fairness to Brendan Minish, if he could get 200 users to invest a couple of months subscription up fornt in his scheme, he'd probably be doing something about it, rather than doing the beal bocht in here.
    Oooooooh , Divide and Rule time . Pity I am ever so slightly under the influence of NDA's Ripwave. You'd be amazed at some of the funding sources that are out there :D .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Yes it would....as I said before it would be fantabulous somewhere like Kinnegad...
    Damn right, 200 users would make Kinnegad extremely viable for the provision of broadband, instead of "just about" viable as we are now...

Although, I think Wexfordman might have had "tongue in cheek" when referring to the viability of 200 users...:)

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'm thinking someone should setup a site a look into that seriously. Looking at the numbers, on the 2mb connections for 40-50 and month, the content ratio is one to one. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm thinking I prob am but if that was the case and you put the content ratio to 8:1, wouldnt the cost drop to say 10 a month accounting for the cost of the extra ports and so forth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ryaner
    I'm thinking someone should setup a site a look into that seriously. Looking at the numbers, on the 2mb connections for 40-50 and month, the content ratio is one to one. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm thinking I prob am but if that was the case and you put the content ratio to 8:1, wouldnt the cost drop to say 10 a month accounting for the cost of the extra ports and so forth
    If you could find 1500 users within striking distance of your connection point.

That's pretty much impossible.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    If you could find 1500 users within striking distance of your connection point.

That's pretty much impossible.

Well theres the big thing I over looked :P Would be seriously nice tho if it was possible. Even maybe using wireless to increase distance?

Yes ...... consider both ends of the fibre.

At the local end of the fibre you need a DSLAM in a street cab (€c. 400 per port installed) on the pavement outside the exchange and LLU at €14.50 MONTH EX VAT to get your line off Eircom .... 200 ports or so but ADSL2 as standard which supports 16Mbps at 2km or thereabouts dropping to 256k at 7km.

At the far end you need an internet port of 100Mbits and a block of c. 256 real IP addresses, about another €150k a year I'd say....in Dublin.

You should be able to offer 10Mbps at €100-120 a month and 2mbps at about €40-50 a month.

Start by applying for planning permission to the local authority for your street cab and write to Dermot Ahern saying you need a directive to Comreg on LLU PDQ :D No voice service possible save VoIP .

M
    Um, DSLAM is for ADSL yes? Not needed for fibre to the home. This would be connections bypassing eircom. Oh, and they can do 10Mbit in sweden and higher elsewhere for 40euro a month, should be doable here too*.

* I said should, don't take issue with it, I know we're "different".

The 10mb connection in Sweden as far as I can remember is Ethernet-to-home which actually the line this idea was based on was 100mb ethernet so wouldnt that be able bypass the local exchange loop and run basically like a cable service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Oh, and they can do 10Mbit in Sweden
    Apples with Apples. The Swedish Gov committed €6Bn to broadband incl. FTTH. The Irish Govt. doesn't have that sort of cash.

Originally posted by thegills
    Apples with Apples. The Swedish Gov committed €6Bn to broadband incl. FTTH. The Irish Govt. doesn't have that sort of cash.
    Hmm, ah, right, they did though. Clearly the supluses were spent on some thing else though, hindsight is great ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wonder would the ESB ever do this ?

An ESB type company in Canada is providing Internet access over power lines, but the big difference is the "last mile" is being provided wirelessly. Interesting.

I only quickly scanned that there first of and noticed this
    Home computers equipped with 802.11b or "Wi-Fi" wireless access cards and within 150 metres of these access points will be able to use the service.

How secure is 802.11b? They should def do that over here. Free internet I'm thinking. It is a very good idea tho and I guess they beat me to it :P
    Originally posted by ryaner
    Even maybe using wireless to increase distance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement