Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting Thurles - Dublin

• 18-09-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I was wondering if there is anyone who commutes from Thurles to Dublin by train or by car as I'd like to hear from your experience in terms of costs and time spent travelling. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

guesswhat wrote: »
    I was wondering if there is anyone who commutes from Thurles to Dublin by train or by car as I'd like to hear from your experience in terms of costs and time spent travelling. Thanks

Did it on and off for 5 years from Limerick junction. Id say there was maybe 15 or so people commuting daily from Thurles when I stopped last year. If you get your yearly ticket through taxsaver.ie the cost is not too bad. I had the all services ticket meaning I could use the train anywhere at anytime and think I worked it would at about 12euro a day.

Alot depends on your commute either side of the train i think. I was close to the junction and then 10mins in on the luas to work. Made it alot easier. Its 3 hours on a train each day no matter what way you look at it though. Its an early start but if you could get the 5 train down you would be back in thurles for 6.30 which would not be too bad.

Railusers.ie would be a good forum to check out as well for advise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

guesswhat wrote: »

I did this during the summer and it's absolutely not worth it. I was getting the 6:19 train up from Thurles and the 17:05 back in the evening so I was back in Thurles at about 18:20 everyday. Train up usually got in at 7:45 or so every morning so you're talking about 3 hours on a train each day along with travel to the station and then travel to you're place of work from Heuston.

I found myself very badly fatigued after a month or so and that was with me getting 7/8 hours sleep every night. Sleeping on the train is difficult enough. I've moved back up to Dublin now but there's a group of about 10/15 who travel every single day without fail. I'm sure they have families down in Tipp that they don't want to move up to Dublin but I can't think of another reason why you'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

Thanks for your comments

From home to Thurles station would be another 20m for me (by car) and from Heuston to work (public transport) I'm guessing between 30 to 45m ...

I say ones wages would have to be high enough to pay for (at least) commuting costs which isn't my case

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

I was getting the 6:19 train up from Thurles and the 17:05 back in the evening so I was back in Thurles at about 18:20

I think I have made up my mind!
    I would never make it to the 17:05 train as I could never be sure what time I finish work

Advertisement