Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

600D Mic?

• 14-12-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Investing bit by bit in a decent film set-up, and now the time has come to find myself an external mic. I'm using a 600D at the minute and, like most DSLRs, in-built mic is pretty woeful. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Preferably something on the less expensive side of crazy. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Zoom H4N or Tascam DR-40, with an Audio Technica AT875R and an XLR cable, and a boom pole. Not crazy money, very good audio. Will cost more than the 600D did though.

Failing that a videomic pro, but it's not good enough in all honesty, if you want good audio for dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Zoom H4N or Tascam DR-40, with an Audio Technica AT875R and an XLR cable, and a boom pole. Not crazy money, very good audio. Will cost more than the 600D did though.

Failing that a videomic pro, but it's not good enough in all honesty, if you want good audio for dialogue.

Agree with this. Used an almost identical set up recently and the audio was perfect. Good audio gear is as important as the camera. Bad audio is a b*tch to try and fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Thanks, guys, Will do some research now and hopefully make an investment soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

As a matter of interest what is the 600d like hands on? I'm on the verge of making the investment. It'll be used for Video mainly too.

It's been a pleasure to work with; capture is perfect with the right lens. I guess it depends what you're shooting - I'd start for sure with a decent 50mm f/1.8, maybe a Sigma to follow. I have some great footage but the audio is too poor to work with.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest what is the 600d like hands on? I'm on the verge of making the investment. It'll be used for Video mainly too.

An excellent camera for video and stills. I have that and a 5D and you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference in most conditions. 5D beats it in low light, but the 600D's flip screen is an absolute joy for video. If I'm completely honest, if I didn't shoot stills I'd probably regret bothering with the 5D and not just buying a second 600D and investing in lenses. The reality with a camera, for video anyway, is that good audio and lighting and quality lenses will do more for your films than the camera body will, unless you're spending an awful lot more.

Do you guys reckon Amazon to be the best place to pick up a Zoom H4N?

Amazon or Thomann.de would be good.

If your budget is tight go for the Tascam DR-40, they're basically identical, I've used both and the sound quality is the same. H4N has a marginally nicer build, but you're saving about €80, which could get you a 2 metre boom and a decent XLR cable or 2. Or most of Canon's 50mm lens. Or if you don't have one, a tripod - essential for video.

And if you plan on using the internal mic on whichever recorder you get - buy a windcover. Redhead windscreens are really good, rycote are too, but pricey.

And yes, you do end up just buying more and more stuff!

I should have picked a more economic hobby. Like knitting. Thanks for all the info landsleaving, I'll make sure to cite you in the credits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andyK11

Investing bit by bit in a decent film set-up, and now the time has come to find myself an external mic. I'm using a 600D at the minute and, like most DSLRs, in-built mic is pretty woeful. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Preferably something on the less expensive side of crazy. Thanks!

Hey,

If you need sound for a film I have some equipment you could use. (Free of charge of course provided you're in Dublin and obviously I'd have to be present as I know nobody on these forums)

I have Wireless Sennheiser Lav mic (comes with 3.5mm jack wire to hook straight to DSLR), Zoom H4n, Rode NTG-2, XLR to XLR wire, Mic Jack to XLR wire.

Let me know if you're interested,
    Andy

• Advertisement

andyK11 wrote: »
    Hey,

If you need sound for a film I have some equipment you could use. (Free of charge of course provided you're in Dublin and obviously I'd have to be present as I know nobody on these forums)

I have Wireless Sennheiser Lav mic (comes with 3.5mm jack wire to hook straight to DSLR), Zoom H4n, Rode NTG-2, XLR to XLR wire, Mic Jack to XLR wire.

Let me know if you're interested,
    Andy

Andy, you're a gent; at Christmas time and everything. Seriously, though, thanks for the offer. I'm actually working on the writing side of things at the moment so it'll be a while before I get to actually shooting anything, but when I do, I'll be sure to bear this in mind. Cheers. :)

Advertisement