Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Energie Fitness opening in Mahon Pt.

• 29-10-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Saw signs for it arriving in December this year.
    Anyone have any further information (size, memberships, etc.)
    Very handy as I work in City Gate and you can't get any closer than that.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think it's actually opening in City Gate, isn't it? Along with Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Starbucks and a gym. They'll go great together :p

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

Faith wrote: »
    I think it's actually opening in City Gate, isn't it? Along with Starbucks.

Yeah I was being vague on purpose. But yes it is opening in the new City Gate where DFS, Dell and EMC are.
    I was just hoping if anyone had details like the size of the gym and what kind of rates are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah I was being vague on purpose. But yes it is opening in the new City Gate where DFS, Dell and EMC are.
    I was just hoping if anyone had details like the size of the gym and what kind of rates are going?

The Dub ones are 59 a month, if it was 50 in Cork I'd join, but it seems like the type of Gym that would be all cardio, which I get enough of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kerryswimmer

The Dub ones are 59 a month, if it was 50 in Cork I'd join, but it seems like the type of Gym that would be all cardio, which I get enough of.

Energie Fitness in Mahon will cost €49 a month and is opening Jan 6th, place will be state of the art with 17,000 Sqf floor space 50 spinning bikes etc

• Advertisement

Energie Fitness in Mahon will cost €49 a month and is opening Jan 6th, place will be state of the art with 17,000 Sqf floor space 50 spinning bikes etc

Thanks for that information. Hopefully they will start handing out corporate rates as I work in City Gate up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

when is starbucks opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

Will it have a swimming pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm out in Dennehys in B.Collig but because i live around the corner from this I'm going head down once its open and have a look, Dennehys is 35 a month but for the extra 15 I'd nearly join this as it would save me petrol driving out to B.Collig, depends on the setup though, I'm not pushed about a pool.

Afaik, although someone can correct me, when they built those units there was no plans went in for a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

No mention of a pool on the web site which is a shame, choices are so limited this side of the city. Town is a pain to get parking in, leisure world is a trek, douglas is never open and i found oakgrove a bit restrictive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Babs8

Plans did originally include pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bleary wrote: »
    No mention of a pool on the web site which is a shame, choices are so limited this side of the city. Town is a pain to get parking in, leisure world is a trek, douglas is never open and i found oakgrove a bit restrictive

not half picky eh ;)
    Anyway, what do you mean by 'restrictive'?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Yep tried them all, guess i was spoiled in my first gym, (not in cork)
    Bishopstown takes about 20 mins to get to for me if i have the car. Not really possible if not and the big pool always seems to be closed for classes
    Douglas is just never open , a disgrace really
    Town was fine but cant get parking on the street near the clarion once night classes start and also area was fairly dodgy at night.
    Oak grove the hours were a bit strange they closed on a friday afternoon to run classes for kids, They were open to 9 which really meant being out of the pool by 8:30
    they also had an one staff member who followed me/others around the place.
    She sat behind me one night when i was on a treadmill ,I think she was checking if i was wiping the machine down to her standards. Notices up everywhere telling you to change your socks regularly etc. Still it was ver clean and may have eased up a bit these days

So a new place that opens in the evenings with parking close-ish would be great,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bishopstown takes about 20 mins to get to for me if i have the car. Not really possible if not and the big pool always seems to be closed for classes
    Town was fine but cant get parking on the street near the clarion once night classes start and also area was fairly dodgy at night.
    Oak grove the hours were a bit strange they closed on a friday afternoon to run classes for kids, They were open to 9 which really meant being out of the pool by 8:30
    She sat behind me one night when i was on a treadmill ,I think she was checking if i was wiping the machine down to her standards. Notices up everywhere telling you to change your socks regularly etc. Still it was ver clean and may have eased up a bit these days

So a new place that opens in the evenings with parking close-ish would be great,

Would you consider Rochestown Park hotel or is that a pretty useless gym? The pool isn't ideal there for lengths i know.

Have you tried NRG Fitness in The River Lee hotel on Washington Street near UCC? Nicely kitted out gym, they regularly improve the facilities, have a pool, free classes, good, friendly staff.

http://www.nrgfitness.ie/locations/cork/

I'm a member there but will take a look at this new one when it opens. It looks like it'll be €5-10 cheaper per month & it's right by where I work so I could go in the mornings (they will be opening at 6am)... not the most convenient for me on weekends though - traffic is mad in Mahon on Sat/Sun if you're not in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oakgrove Leisure Centre

Hi bleary, in response to your feedback r.e. Oakgrove and CrossFit Oakgrove.

We are totally certain that no member of staff intentionally follows you or any other member around. Our gym staff regularly sit and work on the chair that you speak of, it's the gym work desk and happens to sit 4-5 meters behind the treadmills.

We do indeed close at 9pm, pool exit is 8.45pm as a result.

We always aim to maintain high hygiene standards, sorry if the signage has been a bit over the top...we will have a look at reducing that.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Babs8 wrote: »
    Plans did originally include pool!

My understanding is that a pool was installed. I was walking past the pit when it was being dug. However no one has come forward to run it. I don't know why... insurance maybe? It seems like it is a great location, lots of companies nearby and Mahonpoint for shoppers...

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi bleary, in response to your feedback r.e. Oakgrove and CrossFit Oakgrove.

We are totally certain that no member of staff intentionally follows you or any other member around. Our gym staff regularly sit and work on the chair that you speak of, it's the gym work desk and happens to sit 4-5 meters behind the treadmills.

We do indeed close at 9pm, pool exit is 8.45pm as a result.

We always aim to maintain high hygiene standards, sorry if the signage has been a bit over the top...we will have a look at reducing that.

Cheers!

Did think of joining you guys....but having spent a few terms there with children at swimming lessons- absolutely would never return - only due to the atmosphere.
    It's not a welcoming gym.

I appreciate your efforts now listening to people, but you have a huge catchment area that are travelling elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oakgrove Leisure Centre

Did think of joining you guys....but having spent a few terms there with children at swimming lessons- absolutely would never return - only due to the atmosphere.
    It's not a welcoming gym.

I appreciate your efforts now listening to people, but you have a huge catchment area that are travelling elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry you felt that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks for the feedback, sorry you felt that way.

Hi Oakgrove,

Strictly speaking you should be using a paid company subscription to use boards, but I respect your right to reply and am happy enough with your comments as long as you don't use it to promote your own business.

Just wanted to clear that up for those who have questioned.....there is precedent for it.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

ixtlan wrote: »
    My understanding is that a pool was installed. I was walking past the pit when it was being dug. However no one has come forward to run it. I don't know why... insurance maybe? It seems like it is a great location, lots of companies nearby and Mahonpoint for shoppers...

Ix.

If they do have a pool they'll manage to get even more business.

I'll take a look once its opened anyway as the savings made from not driving out to Ballincollig 4-5 times a week would easily save me the difference between memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If they do have a pool they'll manage to get even more business.

I'll take a look once its opened anyway as the savings made from not driving out to Ballincollig 4-5 times a week would easily save me the difference between memberships.

It looks like there may be a pool in there alright: http://www.citygateparkcork.com/press/City+Gate+strikes+gold+for+its+green+office+scheme/11
    "The development also includes high street shops, cafes and restaurants, a gym and a 20-metre swimming pool."

but there is no mention of a pool on their site for Mahon.
    http://www.energiefitness.ie/cork/

Could it be that they can get off the ground quicker without a pool and keep the option to build one at a later date?

Personally speaking, I rarely use the pool in my current gym... probably twice in the past 12 months. If no pool means cheaper membership, that is a plus for me. Also, a pool would most likely mean kids classes and while that fits in with the family friendly Mahon Point across the way, I really wish something could be done to help with traffic in the area. All these new facilities are adding pressure to a creaking traffic system. One of the most off putting things about this new gym is if I want to go in at the weekend, dealing with that Mahon Point traffic.

Well, the corporate offer has been emailed out at our place. Looks like it's just the rate that was reported earlier though - €49.99 per month.

Some details on facilities...

5,000 square foot gym floor
    Fully equipped Gym with the latest range of Precor equipment with instant internet access
    Large TKO Strength and Resistance area
    Functional training zone
    Large Spinning studio with 30 state of the art Keiser bikes
    Huge Aerobic studio catering for all classes including, lift, kick, conditioning, boot camp and many many more
    Juice and salad bar
    Large spacious changing facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Bacchus wrote: »
    Well, the corporate offer has been emailed out at our place. Looks like it's just the rate that was reported earlier though - €49.99 per month.

Some details on facilities...

5,000 square foot gym floor
    Fully equipped Gym with the latest range of Precor equipment with instant internet access
    Large TKO Strength and Resistance area
    Functional training zone
    Large Spinning studio with 30 state of the art Keiser bikes
    Huge Aerobic studio catering for all classes including, lift, kick, conditioning, boot camp and many many more
    Juice and salad bar
    Large spacious changing facilities

Looks like the walk in off the street price. They seem to be holding out which isn't surprising given the large working population on its door step. Anyone know who the people behind the venture are?

They're dangling the carrot of "if a lot of people sign up, they might reduce the price for employees" :rolleyes: Yeah right, X amount of people sign up for €49.99 and they're just going to drop the price. I'll believe that when I see it.

Interestingly enough, my current gym are offering €45 a month now for a 12 month contract (I'm currently paying €55). So no money to be saved with Energie now. Might pop in today and take a look around, see what the facilities are like.

So, I had a look at lunch. There's not a whole lot to see yet but the gym space is quite huge. Freeweight area in particular looks like it's going to be very spacious. Of course it's hard to tell for sure with no equipment in yet. There are two studios for classes, one with 30 spin bikes. The gym is out at the back, not near the front where the big posters are.

Also, to confirm, there is no pool and by the sounds of it, there won't be.

When I asked about the corporate offer, it is only the joining fee that is reduced (€10 instead of €40). The monthly fee is exactly the same (€49.99). Not much of an offer if you ask me. Lump sum 12 month payment is €499, saving you €100. The couples rate is €999 but I'm not sure is that based on per month or as a lump sum, sorry.

There was no option to trial the gym for a month (paying of course, not as a freebie), minimum membership is 3 months. I think I'll be passing on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Any update/feedback on this now, I believe it is up and running at this stage?

Yes it is opened now. Joined it last week. Nice set up. Lots of classes with 2 large studios.
    Enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Viewed the gym the night it opened as I was looking to move away from the Mardyke and wasn't all that impressed to be honest.

I've since joined Dennehys because it's across the road from where I work and for €15 less it seems a far better gym.

The main downsides to Energie from what I could see were that the freeweights section seemed to have space, but a lack of actual equipment. I just got the distinct feeling that if it were to get busy in there, you'd be incredibly frustrated. Hopefully I'll get more bang for buck with Dennehys.

Advertisement