Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hayes' Hotel in receivership

• 24-04-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I just heard on the news that Hayes' Hotel in Thurles (and it's sister hotel from the Mulcahy Group, The Creggan Court in Athlone) are gone into receivership.

Talk about the reverse midas touch eh?

Comments

Cerbera wrote: »
    I just heard on the news that Hayes' Hotel in Thurles (and it's sister hotel from the Mulcahy Group, The Creggan Court in Athlone) are gone into receivership.

Talk about the reverse midas touch eh?

Given the history i would hope that Hayes Hotel can be saved somehow. I think it was Sean Kelly suggested that the GAA should buy it a few years back. They may get it now at a knock-down price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

bejazus

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Heard last night that the Anner Hotel in receivership also - think that they are the only 2 hotels in Thurles? Sad for the town....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

"Be careful who you walk over on your way up, you just may meet them coming towards you on your way back down"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Cerbera wrote: »
    "Be careful who you walk over on your way up, you just may meet them coming towards you on your way back down"
    Elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Just saw this is up for auction in mid Sept with a guide price of 500,000. You'd have to presume it'll beat that. Really think this is something the GAA should be investing in
    http://www.allsopspace.ie/auction/lot/24856

OAOB wrote: »
    Just saw this is up for auction in mid Sept with a guide price of 500,000. You'd have to presume it'll beat that. Really think this is something the GAA should be investing in
    http://www.allsopspace.ie/auction/lot/24856

Will Lar/Macklin/Coppinger remain interested i wonder?

The GAA really do need to consider it. They'll get it for a relative steal (prob under 1m since no one was interested at 800k) and they could make that money back in relatively no time. If not sure its no real sting to them they've loads of money. Makes sense with it being the spiritual birthplace.

Whatever happened to the Munster? Just seems an awful waste lying idle. Thurles is a GAA town that hosts several matches and is just a few miles from the motorway so its a real pity that there is this danger of there being shortage of hotel space in the town.

Will Lar/Macklin/Coppinger remain interested i wonder?

The GAA really do need to consider it. They'll get it for a relative steal (prob under 1m since no one was interested at 800k) and they could make that money back in relatively no time. If not sure its no real sting to them they've loads of money. Makes sense with it being the spiritual birthplace.

Whatever happened to the Munster? Just seems an awful waste lying idle. Thurles is a GAA town that hosts several matches and is just a few miles from the motorway so its a real pity that there is this danger of there being shortage of hotel space in the town.
    Don't know where Macklin or Corbett would have that sort of money and the money to invest in badly needed refurbishment unless they had a big time investor behind them but their earlier viewing that was leaked out seemed to garner plenty of publicity for them.

tipptom wrote: »
    Don't know where Macklin or Corbett would have that sort of money and the money to invest in badly needed refurbishment unless they had a big time investor behind them but their earlier viewing that was leaked out seemed to garner plenty of publicity for them.

Coppinger has a fair bit behind him id say.

Coppinger has a fair bit behind him id say.
    Maybe,dont know much about him,but what does Lar and Matthew take to the party?

• Advertisement

Maybe,dont know much about him,but what does Lar and Matthew take to the party?

Well i suppose their name really with both being relatively popular sporting stars.
    Although Macklin probably has a bit of money behind him too for prize fighting to be fair

Well i suppose their name really with both being relatively popular sporting stars.
    Although Macklin probably has a bit of money behind him too for prize fighting to be fair
    Obviously don't know but I would think Lar has nearly more money than Macklin,he has never really hit the big time and a lot of money fritters away in between fights and small prizes for stepping stone fights.
    Maybe he could have some of his wealthy friends in Spain behind him.

Obviously don't know but I would think Lar has nearly more money than Macklin,he has never really hit the big time and a lot of money fritters away in between fights and small prizes for stepping stone fights.
    Maybe he could have some of his wealthy friends in Spain behind him.

Two World Title fights against Sturm and Martinez is fairly big pay days win, lose or draw id imagine?

Two World Title fights against Sturm and Martinez is fairly big pay days win, lose or draw id imagine?
    Two decent purses no doubt but out of a long career but when you take all the expenses out to managers,trainers,coaches and traing in between it can water down pretty quickly. He needs to take a title pretty soon and get defences of it to hit financially secure paydirt imo.

I think if the GAA don't do something,an American venture crowd will come in for it like the crowd that have come in for Barney Curleys old place in Westmeath that he put up lotto style back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If the GAA could by it and somehow incorporate Lar Na Pairce and the Tipp County Board Administration into the building it might just might be the right GAA Museum for all of Ireland

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    If the GAA could by it and somehow incorporate Lar Na Pairce and the Tipp County Board Administration into the building it might just might be the right GAA Museum for all of Ireland

Whats the story with the current Lar Na Pairce on the Sliabhnamon road? Do they own or rent that building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Any rumours as to the lucky buyer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Loughc wrote: »

"Bring it back to its former glory" he says, what glory was that exactly? it was never a glorious venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He'll sell it in 12 months for over a million.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    "Bring it back to its former glory" he says, what glory was that exactly? it was never a glorious venue.

Its a bit suspicious alright.

Best of luck to the new owner either way and hopefully the hotel will be successful for years to come whichever hands it falls into. Its not just any hotel after all, its the birthplace of the greatest gift Ireland ever gave to its people. OK the GAA as an organisation aren't everyone's cup of tea but hurling and football have provided the Irish people with many happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The fact that the GAA chose not to bid for Hayes Hotel is indicative.

It's a pity that a hotel with it's heritage was left to descend to the levels that it did under the previous owner.
    It was an embarrassment.

In 2010, the Tour of Ireland cycling event started/finished in Thurles.
    This race had attracted the likes of Mark Cavendish, Frank and Andy Schleck.
    Worldwide audience with pictures and images beamed to at least 100 million viewers.

Gary Imlach did a piece to camera about the location - Thurles - where the stage was starting/finishing.

Of course reference had to made to the home of hurling for Imlach's piece. Great.

But filming inside Hayes Hotel didn't inspire a great depiction of a place which, if it was located somewhere else, would be treated with a lot more respect.
    I doubt that if the GAA had been founded in Kilkenny City or Cork City that the location would be allowed to fall in to the state that it was in Thurles.

And I very much doubt that any of that 100 million audience would have been persuaded to visit Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Whats the story with the current Lar Na Pairce on the Sliabhnamon road? Do they own or rent that building?

They own it. I can't remember the name of the bank that was there. I know it merged with Munster and Leinster to become AIB. Shannon Development bought the building and the Tipperary GAA payed them back for a couple of years (i think)

hinault wrote: »
    The fact that the GAA chose not to bid for Hayes Hotel is indicative.

It's a pity that a hotel with it's heritage was left to descend to the levels that it did under the previous owner.
    It was an embarrassment.

In 2010, the Tour of Ireland cycling event started/finished in Thurles.
    This race had attracted the likes of Mark Cavendish, Frank and Andy Schleck.
    Worldwide audience with pictures and images beamed to at least 100 million viewers.

Gary Imlach did a piece to camera about the location - Thurles - where the stage was starting/finishing.

Of course reference had to made to the home of hurling for Imlach's piece. Great.

But filming inside Hayes Hotel didn't inspire a great depiction of a place which, if it was located somewhere else, would be treated with a lot more respect.
    I doubt that if the GAA had been founded in Kilkenny City or Cork City that the location would be allowed to fall in to the state that it was in Thurles.

And I very much doubt that any of that 100 million audience would have been persuaded to visit Thurles.

In fairness though, the GAA (as in the Central Council) could have well afforded to buy Hayes and get burnt on it. Think of the Revenue they will receive for the All Ireland replay alone and then compare it to what Hayes went for. Its a pity the GAA didnt see the opportunity in it. I think they've missed a trick.

ukoda wrote: »
    Lad is only in his late 20s,wow,what part of the hospitality sector is he in in Blighty?

Lad is only in his late 20s,wow,what part of the hospitality sector is he in in Blighty?

I shudder to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Family money....Hayes will be his plaything basically.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Family money....Hayes will be his plaything basically.. :)

Really? that doesn't sound too good.

I was thinking he seemed a bit young to be buying a hotel. You'd want years of experience in the industry particularly at management level before taking something like this on. I've seen inexperienced people make a hash of it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I read that this Auction also sold 40 apartments in Clonmel for 1.65 million,anyone what part of town these are in.

Advertisement