Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment In Cashel - Advice

Options
  • 08-04-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are looking to purchase an apartment in Dominic's Court in the center of Cashel. It looks like a lovely spot. Does anyone know the history of this complex and whether they are of good quality with a responsible management company? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

dmcteacher wrote: »
    We are looking to purchase an apartment in Dominic's Court in the center of Cashel. It looks like a lovely spot. Does anyone know the history of this complex and whether they are of good quality with a responsible management company? Thanks.

I'm living and renting in cashel with the last three years, personally I would never live in Dominic's Court. It is known as a very rough complex with anti-social problems. It's a pity because they are in a lovely location.Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 madhandyandy

Hi there i'm a Cashel native and i wouldnt take one as a present!Builder went bust,built on the cheap and nobody living up there only druggies and dead beats.But, Cashel is a really nice place,my advise look at some of the estates(or developments they now known) on the Dualla wouldnt too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think you'd be mad to buy an apt in cashel with a view to being the owner occupier.
    Fair enough in dublin cos houses are so expensive, but I cant see why you'd buy an apt in rural ireland. think they're 30-40k over there? I'd guess the vast majority of apts in clonmel/cashel/tipp town like most of the country are not owner occupiers. Buy yourself a house if you can in a settled area. if you cant afford it you should rent a bit longer.
    My oh has her house in a clonmel estate.The house next door is owned by the council and thank god there's been no hassle so far. It's only a matter of time though! Think of the misery of owning a property beside a shower of shnacks ruining your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcteacher

Thanks all for the advice. We are from the States looking to use our savings to buy a retirement part time property. I am learning it is not as easy as it looks. We do love the country, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

I've been living in Dominic's Court for the past six months, renting a one-bedroom apartment. I'm not a native of Cashel but would have known the town reasonably well before I moved here.
    Comments above about druggies and anti-social behaviour are off the mark in my experience. You get a few boisterous teenagers hanging around the place late at night but they are usually gone home at midnight. I don't know many of my neighbours but I've not seen anything that would put me off living here, maybe a bit of loud music late at night now and again. There are a few foreign nationals around the place, no different to any other housing development in the country. Most people living here seem to be ordinary, hard-working people as far as I can tell. I see them passing in and out to work each day.
    Management of the complex is reasonable and there's one guy who is around a good bit looking after things. The common areas (car park, stairwells) are a bit grotty. The fact that most of the ground floor commercial units are unoccupied does give the place a rundown feel.
    My own apartment is fine but I viewed another apartment here which wasn't as nice (damp smell). As a location it's great as Main St with the shops and pubs are two minutes away. I would take a town-centre apartment over a house in an estate on the edge of town any day of the week, but that's my preference.
    One problem is parking. The barriers are broken so everyone and anyone parks here during the day. Each apartment is supposed to have a dedicated parking space but in practice that doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I use to live in those apartment 2 years ago and it was full of druggies and drunks i had to move out of there it got so bad. There was always fights at nights bottles been smashed etc. The apartments have gotten quieter from what i hear all the scum has since moved on. Above person you came in when things went quiet it wasn't always like that. The other posters are right

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FormerOH

Any update on Dominics Court. Has the area continued to improve or has it gone backwards. The last update was in 2013. There are still a unit or two for sale at pretty good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

There were some apartments going at knock down prices in Dominic's Court but there's only one listed on daft.ie at the moment. One apartment was on sale for just €25,000 a while ago. The sign is gone now so I presume it has been snapped up although there is still no sign of life there.

With the closure of the Chinese restaurant last year, all the ground floor commercial units are now vacant. This gives the place a very run-down feel and look. But Main Street is just around the corner so there's no shortage of retail outlets within walking distance.

The management brought in disc parking a few months back and have been clamping cars in the car park. The car park was basically free parking for people working in the town and now all that has stopped.

Anti-social behaviour isn't any better or worse than it was. I was kept awake last Saturday night by a party in an adjacent apartment but it doesn't happen very often. The area around the apartments are a favourite haunt of young teenagers and sometimes there is drinking and noise.

One thing I have noticed is that there is very much a transient population there. I doubt if there are many owner-occupiers. A lot of people seem to rent for a short time and move on elsewhere. A good share of the people living there are non-Irish nationals.

From my observations over the past couple of years, I would be fairly certain that there are 'ladies of the night' operating from a couple of the apartments.

If I had money to spend and was looking for somewhere in the centre of Cashel, there are a couple of houses for sale on Collier's Lane (check out daft.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FormerOH

The Woodcock I sent you a PM with a few more details and a couple more questions if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I was considering a ground-floor apartment in Lower Gate, Cashel. I'd appreciate any opinions which might be helpful. Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement