Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best/safe areas in Dublin to rent?

• 04-12-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

I was wondering as I am not a local of Dublin area, what is the best/safest place to rent?

I understand living in the city you are not 100% safe, I guess you never are anywhere. But safe enough for me to be able to walk in and out of my home...

I don't want anywhere TOO far away from the city.
    I guess about 10 mins on the bus is good.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

There's actually fairly few areas of the city that are really dangerous, compared to many cities around Europe & particularly many in the UK it's an incredibly safe place. Which is not to say crime doesn't happen (I've been a victim myself sadly) but you generally have to be extremely unlucky to have serious harm come to you.

In terms of areas that would meet your criteria, on the Southside Ranelagh & Rathmines are lovely, while on the Northside Drumcondra & Phibsborough are generally grand enough. There's decent areas a little further out but if you're intent on staying that close to town those are probably your best bet. A good idea is to go out to the areas yourself at night & see if you feel comfortable walking around, maybe grab a pint in a local bar & see what the vibe is. I've lived in all of the above areas & never had any really bad experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Generally, the city is a pretty safe place. There are exceptions. I would disagree with the second poster and actively not recommend Summerhill if it is your first time renting in Dublin. It is not necessarily a bad place to rent, but I would want to find out a good bit more about Summerhill and the various parts of the area before considering renting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

+1 on the idea of going out for a pint in the area before deciding on it. Check the spread of other amenities, shops, pubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

ceekay123 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering as I am not a local of Dublin area, what is the best/safest place to rent?

I understand living in the city you are not 100% safe, I guess you never are anywhere. But safe enough for me to be able to walk in and out of my home...

I don't want anywhere TOO far away from the city.
    I guess about 10 mins on the bus is good.

Thanks!

I have been in Dublin for only 20 days since I arrived in Ireland for the first time in my life, and I had the same doubts about the areas, because I had read a lot, and some of the comments (much appreciated), where very scary. It mostly depends on what you are looking for, commuting time to work can be a determining factor, but don't forget that you will have to live there for some time, so don't think you are going to get used to things you don't like in the area, because you probably won't. Same applies to minor (or major) problems with the accommodation (noises, neighbours, etc.).

I have walked a lot around the Parnell St. to O'Connell St. and surrounding (and southern) areas, and some of the things I was told about the place were true, but it all depends on your background, and what you are willing to accept. Do you feel comfortable in an area where you hardly find any native irish, and most shops are owned by and serviced by foreigners? Can you accept the occasional appearance of homeless, drunk, beggars and people like that? Do you prefer a place full of shops and with tons of people most of the day, or you'd prefer to avoid the masses, even if that means there is no one on the street at any point?

My recommendation, survey the area, live the area, and try to walk around the place at different times of the day, both workday and weekends. If you come into something you don't like or can't tolerate, better look elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I've lived in Blackrock, Stillorgan, the top of O'Connell Street, and Tallaght (beside Jobstown, the "dodgy" part of Tallaght). So this is pretty much the full spectrum from "rich" to "poor".

All were absolutely fine. Just make an effort to blend in and (most likely) no one will bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Artane/Killester/Marino

Good bus service and if you want you can cycle/walk it when the weather gets good

Lots of shops around, you can go running on the promenade by the coast or cycle it out around Sutton and Howth, keep ya fit
    Lots of cafes too, all you need realy. Tesco up at Artaine Castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'll be attending the Kevin St. Campus of DIT in Sept. Can anybody recommend an area/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'll be attending the Kevin St. Campus of DIT in Sept. Can anybody recommend an area/s?

Donnybrook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Donnybrook.

Thanks Unregistered. Is Rathmines any good? It looks like a 20 walk between Kevin St and a couple of apts that I'm looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Rathmines is a great area, lots of diversity, but close to town and every amenity necessary. Good selection of pubs, plenty of places to eat, supermarkets, cinema etc.

It has a few characters, as do most places but overall it's a fairly good area to live. I grew up in Ranelagh which is close by and have family now living in Rathmines and they love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jmike72

Hi.

In October I will start a job in the East Wall Business Park. Any recomendations near so that i can start look at some places to rent? As a side note, it will be my first time in Dublin.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

jmike72 wrote: »
    Hi.

In October I will start a job in the East Wall Business Park. Any recomendations near so that i can start look at some places to rent? As a side note, it will be my first time in Dublin.

Thanks,
    Mike

see the previous post re fairview, marino, artane, killester, raheny, clontarf. nice part of town - lived there myself for 5 years and would have bought there if i could have afforded to. close to your work and with all the ameneties you need.

Advertisement