Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Thurles

• 24-06-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Any recommendations for restaurants in Thurles that serve food all day. Need recommendations for tomorrow.

Thanks

Eastbono
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The Tara serves all the usual like roast dinners etc. traditional enough but very tasty and good value. Their gravy is to die for.

There's Mitchel House as well, only been there once but the food was really nice.

The Shimla Indian resteraunt is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hi Sigma,

The Tara appeared to be closed. Went to Mitchell House and had a lovely meal there. Early Bird Menu. Lovely place to eat. Thanks for the recommendations. Just as well you gave some extra ones besides The Tara:)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

eastbono wrote: »
    Hi Sigma,

The Tara appeared to be closed. Went to Mitchell House and had a lovely meal there. Early Bird Menu. Lovely place to eat. Thanks for the recommendations. Just as well you gave some extra ones besides The Tara:)

I'd say Mitchel House is one of the best restaurants in Thurles! The food is to die for. You get a really great early bird menu. Usually all you'd get on an early bird menu in a restaurant in Thurles is the usual 'turkey and ham' or beef and spuds etc, just regular meals. However, Mitchel House go all out! Fabulous restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Depends on what you are after - there is a little place in the homevalu hardware store, in by the ford dealership, on the Nenagh road that I have poped into a few times. Wraps baps that kinda stuff nice cakes and gateau but for me if on the road they do lovely coffee.
    The last time I was in they seemed to know most customers names - often a good sign that have a lot of regulars which often indicates a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Sous le Vent does very nice food.

I'm not sure that it's an open all day venue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

hinault wrote: »
    Sous le Vent does very nice food.

I'm not sure that it's an open all day venue though.

Been a few years since I ate there and it's definitely on the list for a return visit.

And, no, it's not open during the day, or even every day.

Times are Tue-Sat, 5.30-9 (Sun - bank hol weekends only).

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

Looks like Sous Le Vent is closed...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mikep wrote: »
    Looks like Sous Le Vent is closed...

Maybe because today is Monday, and the poster above says it only opens Tuesday to Saturday?

Nope...has been reported closed for a while now, a few people have found it closed on different days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Rhalliord

Sadly Sous Le Vent ceased trading for good on Saturday last. Am pure gutted it was my favourite restaurant in Thurles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

Rhalliord wrote: »
    Sadly Sous Le Vent ceased trading for good on Saturday last. Am pure gutted it was my favourite restaurant in Thurles

:( Was looking forward to going back there some time soon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I have it on good authority that its been sold, they just didnt expect to find a buyer so quickly.

I've an unused gift token for that place:mad:

I've an unused gift token for that place:mad:

the new owners are honouring all vouchers

the new owners are honouring all vouchers

I hope they do.

I hope they do.

I asked the current owner and he said that the new owners would be honouring all valid in date vouchers

I asked the current owner and he said that the new owners would be honouring all valid in date vouchers

Thanks for this confirmation.

I'll be guaranteed to bring further business to the new restaurant in the future so:)

Thanks for this confirmation.

I'll be guaranteed to bring further business to the new restaurant in the future so:)

I dunno if I'll be able to eat there when the new owners take over. I'm gonna miss Brendan and Marcus lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Shimla Indian resteraunt is good too.

The food in Stars of Indian is much better in my opinion, have you tried them?
    All the Chinese restaurants in Thurles are awful :(

I dunno if I'll be able to eat there when the new owners take over. I'm gonna miss Brendan and Marcus lol

It was an excellent eatery I have to say.

I'll be happy to keep putting business the way of the new owners if they can maintain the standards.
    I always try my best to support local business if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I heard the Pike is good?

Any idea who the new owners are??

It's being kept quiet until everything is signed sealed and delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Will be visiting Thurles soon. Shame all the Chinese are so bad as a poster mentioned as hubby loves his asian food, no chance of a Thai restaurant I suppose?

Might be staying in the Anner unless someone can recommend something better?

What is the Anner like for evening dinner?

So far it looks like Mitchells is the best yea?

Thanks all:)

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Will be visiting Thurles soon. Shame all the Chinese are so bad as a poster mentioned as hubby loves his asian food, no chance of a Thai restaurant I suppose?

Might be staying in the Anner unless someone can recommend something better?

Well like I said Stars of India is really good for Indian so perfect if he likes asian food. It's across the road from the GAA shop on Slievenamon Road. If you wanted to drive 10 minutes outside the town to Holycross I have heard there are some good places to eat out there. Nice area to visit too.

I have only been in the function room in the Anner Hotel. It's not a nice place at all but there is no other option for hotels in the area(Won't even go into why Hayes Hotel should be avoided.) There are probably some good B&B's that might would out better for you.

Thanks Tuxy. I love indian but he doesn't like hot food so refuses to try it.

The Anner it is so:)

Do the same people not own all the hotes in Thurles............I think I read that somewhere today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Parkers in Holycross getting rave reviews and fantastic value at the moment. Ate in Mitchel House week before last, gorgeous. Ate in the Four Seas Chinese last week also gorgeous. Heard a very lukewarm report from the Horse and Jockey at the weekend, service in particular, shocking. Service in the Monks pub just as shocking. Anner Hotel dining room only so-so (think Fawltey Towers including Manuel Basil and the old gentleman). The food in the bar (wraps, toasted sandwiches, chips, salad, steak sandwich etc. ) much better and good value. The Anner Hotel itself is under the care of NAMA.Its best days are over for the time being.

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    Thanks Tuxy. I love indian but he doesn't like hot food so refuses to try it.

The Anner it is so:)

Do the same people not own all the hotes in Thurles............I think I read that somewhere today.

That's a shame there are many Indian dishs that are not hot.
    Yes same owners for the Anner and Hayes. There is a busy Nite club in Hayes on the weekend and you defiantly do not want to be there if you hope to get any sleep.

Hi Puzzle35

I wouldn't go near the Anner...ever.....

I think Four Seas chinese is a very good, I particularly like the lamb schezuan (sitr fried lamb slivers in spicy sauce...I go for extra chilli!!:D)
    They also do lots of milder stuff..

I think Shimla is the better of the 2 indian places, and thier chicken garlic bhuna is mild and delicious...

All this talk is making me hungry and its only 8.30....:eek:

We have recomended the hourse and jockey to stay but not to eat...as mentioned the service in the restaurant/bar is terrible, however the hotel has only gotten positive reviews form those who have stayed there...they also have an elemis spa, which my wife says is good...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

Thanks a million for all the recomendations. We will probably try the Four Seas for Dinner as we both like Chinese. Is the meat good quality, as in is the fillet of Beef really fillet? Any dish we should avoid?

Would stay in horse and Jockey but that would limit us to driving into Thurles for dinner and back out there for a few drinks afterwards. We might just have to take our chances with the Anner so we can walk back after :)

Advertisement