Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Some people only have obsessions on Marty Whelan which cannot be good and means people don't have a life.

:rolleyes: Yvonne, I dare say if one totted up all the posts on the Marty thread you would be miles ahead of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

chasmcb wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Yvonne, I dare say if one totted up all (your) posts on the Marty thread...

...and divided them by your non-Mart posts...
    People can draw their own conclusions. ;)

I can crow:D/confess:( that I havent heard the moustachioed maestro in over three and a half years :D:D:D (that goes for Lyric in its entirety:D, barring about 30 seconds last year after going into someones elses house where they had it on:(. They were kind enough to switch it off pretty sharpish:D). Lyric will be such fertile ground for 'dumbing down' studies of the future.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

So it seems the people on this who are so disrespectful to the broadcasters and presenters don't even listen to Lyric! That speaks yards for them and the games they're playing. I think it's sick. Give it over and act your age the lot of ye! You don't know what you're missing and still you're harping away on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

It has been a great week to listen to Lyric. Best week in years I'd say.

The music has been generally consistent, a great companion to the fine weather. We have had live concerts from the West Cork Music Festival and the NSO at the National Concert Hall this week.

Lorcan Murray delivered the goods as usual at breakfast time with a sensible and enjoyable mix of Classical and kept the mouthing to a minimum.
    As a bonus, John Kelly was also absent and as a result, Ellen Cranitch brought us a much more balanced approach with her music, which could actually be tolerated for more than 20 seconds - which is frequently not the case when Kelly is on.

Considering that Lorcan Murray was let get on with it, playing popular Classics in an informed way, Marty Whelan must be a tyrannical monster. He must bully those around him to do his bidding with awful music and profound disrespect for the raison d'etre of the station. The production staff and indeed management are little more than his 'bitches'.

There can be no other explanation considering the refreshing week of great music broadcasting we have had this week from lyric.
    If only it could be like this every week:rolleyes:

Lorcan Murray did well this week. I like him and I like a lot of what he plays but he does play a bit too much heavy music for the time of day. But the main problem with him in comparison to Marty Whelan is that he isn't a personality. Look at how Marty can get the listeners calling in and emailing in and all. I wish I could do that. And Lorcan isn't able to get the best out of Ronan from the AA. Marty is able to get Ronan to be funny but Lorcan just doesn't have it.

And I know from watching him on TV that Marty Whelan is not a monster. You should have seen him with people and Mary Kennedy. He is certainly no bully boy let me tell you sunshine!!!

I missed the programme today except coming up to 8 o'clock so I didn't hear but is Marty back on Monday? It has been far too long. Lorcan just does not have the star appeal that Marty has and its something you don't pick up off the street or lick it off a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

OK gentlemen. And I see the people criticising other people's tastes are all men funnily enough! ;)

The problem with Trish besides being so dry is that she looks down when she's talking to the camera. Marty always holds himself up and this inflates his diaphragm. We learned this at school and it seems Trish didn't. Maybe she isn't too like Sr Mary Basil so much after all!:)
    Lorcan Murray did well this week. I like him and I like a lot of what he plays but he does play a bit too much heavy music for the time of day. But the main problem with him in comparison to Marty Whelan is that he isn't a personality. Look at how Marty can get the listeners calling in and emailing in and all. I wish I could do that. And Lorcan isn't able to get the best out of Ronan from the AA. Marty is able to get Ronan to be funny but Lorcan just doesn't have it.

It has been far too long. Lorcan just does not have the star appeal that Marty has and its something you don't pick up off the street or lick it off a stone.

No Yvonne. it's not the men.
    Marty Whelan is head-and-shoulders over all the snippers here. And he's the only real star that Lyric have except maybe George Hamilton and he's on only on a Saturday.

Being a star, (a dubious claim) does not always make a good radio presenter. It's a matter of taste and suitability for the style of the particular station. Apart from a few lapses, (The el Prato incident springs to mind) most of Martys detractors here are simply trying to express the view that Marty is not a good fit with Lyric.

Your various attacks on presenters who are not Marty are unfair and unwarranted. It has been a fabulous two week for morning Lyric. My thanks again to all those involved.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Any chance we could introduce a smilies quota to this thread?

Aidric wrote: »
    Its the Thank abuse that really gets my goat! :mad:
    Imagine if everyone Thanked every post! :eek:
    Such a devaluation of the currency :(
    Are some peoples memories really that short :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Most people would listen to Lyric FM for the music. They probably don't want DJs. Couldn't Lyric send him back to 2FM where he could enthuse people to his heart's content and charm the kind of people who listen to Talk Radio and consider music an unwelcome interruption?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Aidric wrote: »
    Quotas would need metering and we can't afford to install the meters. How about an unmetered tax at about 200 - 300 euro per year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mbur wrote: »
    Quotas would need metering and we can't afford to install the meters. How about an unmetered tax at about 200 - 300 euro per year?

Would probably only result in a meandering strongly worded letter from Hugo/Yvonne (smilies optional).

Does anyone know who is doing the Marty Whelan show this week? I don't think it's Lorcan Murray. He probably takes 3 weeks off doesn't he? I missed most of the Show last Friday and didn't hear if they announced it. Maybe they will have Miriam O'Callaghan on.

Does anyone know who is doing the Marty Whelan show this week? I don't think it's Lorcan Murray. He probably takes 3 weeks off doesn't he? I missed most of the Show last Friday and didn't hear if they announced it. Maybe they will have Miriam O'Callaghan on.
    Good God! Can one get teletext subtitles on Radio now? That hodgepodge accent will be very hard to understand without them. :)

Regards...jmcc

It's Gay Byrne, I think. Miriam is the obvious choice, but she already has two radio shows and a TV one on at that time of the morning and RTE bigwigs felt she may be a little over exposed. So I believe.
    Unfortunately I think Marty gets four weeks off to recharge the banter batteries. Still, to whet the apppetite before his return, we have an hour long Marty-AA Roadwatch compilation to look forward to. Uninterrupted by music, its on on Friday week I think!

Almaviva wrote: »
    It's Gay Byrne, I think. Miriam is the obvious choice, but she already has two radio shows and a TV one on at that time of the morning and RTE bigwigs felt she may be a little over exposed. So I believe.
    Unfortunately I think Marty gets four weeks off to recharge the banter batteries. Still, to whet the apppetite before his return, we have an hour long Marty-AA Roadwatch compilation to look forward to. Uninterrupted by music, its on on Friday week I think!

He's back, actually. He presented the Marty Whelan Show this morning himself. It's unusual because people in the main RTE channels take a longer break in the summer. There was a real welcome for him from the listeners and it was nice to get abit of James Taylor that makes a change from all the heavier stuff you get for the rest of the day. No sign of Hugo or of the Major though. I wasn't quick enough to get some of the jokes that were flying between Marty and Rebecca from the AA but they were in good form after the break. Mart said he was only singed when Rebecca asked him if he was bronzed like Tom Selleck!!!:)

Does anyone know or did you hear if Marty Whelan is going to have a Ludovico Einaudi competition next week? The tickets are sold out but it seems there might be an extra night.

Marty has an interview up on his website and I heard that he said yesterday that there might be another interview coming closer to the day. It seems that a competition for ticket and luxury accommodation could be on the cards. I can't listen to all the programme these days even though it's the holidays. Bah! :mad: I heard a good interview today with someone about the tango extravaganza in the Concert Hall coming up that sounded very very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

He's back, actually. He presented the Marty Whelan Show this morning himself.

I know! I don't dislike Marty, but I got so bored with his show, always the same stuff over and over and over, that I eventually gave up on it. Yesterday on my way to work I thought I'd give it another chance (after several few months).

Pushed the Lyric FM button on my car radio... Ennio Morricone. Changed channel less than two seconds later. Nothing against Ennio either, but three or four times a year would be enough for me. Maybe more often if it wasn't always, but always, in the same breakfast time slot.

He's back, actually. He presented the Marty Whelan Show this morning himself.
    Quite a feat. Is there no end to this man's talent? :)
    There was a real welcome for him from the listeners and it was nice to get abit of James Taylor that makes a change from all the heavier stuff you get for the rest of the day.
    The heavier stuff being Classical music?
    No sign of Hugo or of the Major though.
    You make him sound like the DJ character played by Bruno Kirby character in 'Good Morning Viet Nam'.
    Mart said he was only singed when Rebecca asked him if he was bronzed like Tom Selleck!!!:)
    Hard to think that the Magnum P.I show finished twenty five years ago.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Alas, the aural excrement returned this week to Lyric in the morning.
    Crappy music and the sad, sad return of more Bi-Polar, Homo-Erotic high jinx from Wicklow with Hugo.
    Also today, we had a post-mortem, pre-funeral request for some buddie of Marty's. This is a publicly funded, national radio station. It's unreal.

I have to say I thought it was all very tasteful and sensitive. I like to shed tears during music. It's often the best way. And it was fun too. Knock Knock!!!

• Advertisement

I have to say I thought it was all very tasteful and sensitive.

But then you would wouldnt you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

I have to say I thought it was all very tasteful and sensitive. I like to shed tears during music. It's often the best way. And it was fun too. Knock Knock!!!

I have to admit whenever Marty is hosting the Morning show, that I also feel like shedding tears.

Usually during a Rolf Harris piece, perhaps a Peter Sellers/Sophia Loren duet or a rendition of "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang", but almost always when "My Ol' Man's a Dustman" is played with the DJ's accompanying finger-drums.

Tasteful indeed.......I often gasp in amazement at what amazing taste that man has!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

He's back, actually. He presented the Marty Whelan Show this morning himself. ........

To papaphrase an earlier post......Is there no beginning to this man's talents?

Gosh - some people are grumpy! I didn't think anything was erotic today and I haven't any idea what someone means by bipolar. (I know what bipolar means - my sister in law's brother is a martyr to it himself.) :confused:

All that was missing this morning to make it a perfect way was the Major OBE who wasn't on. Maybe Marty left him behind in Verona! But it isn't a serious gripe. I'm sure he's on his way. :D

But seriously - where else on radio now can we get to hear Ennio Morricone, Richard Clayderman, Katherine Jenkins, Riverdance, Kenneth Williams, Giorgio Einaudi, John Barry, Cara O'Sullivan, "Sleepers Wake" by Bach, Springsteen who is in town, John Williams, Michael Buble, the Pride and Prejudice Theme, .... the list goes on and on. These never get a chance on the mainstream stations and this is what people play at home when they get a chance to themselves. :)

But seriously - where else on radio now can we get to hear Ennio Morricone, Richard Clayderman, Katherine Jenkins, Riverdance, Kenneth Williams, Giorgio Einaudi, John Barry, Cara O'Sullivan, "Sleepers Wake" by Bach, Springsteen who is in town, John Williams, Michael Buble, the Pride and Prejudice Theme, .... the list goes on and on.
    Seriously, nowhere else. Fortunately. Such an embarassing list of dumbed down faux classical, crossover hodgepodge, and MOR, is beyond the self respect of most radio stations (let alone one that used to be a 'classical' music station) and indeed, music listeners. To give him his due though, it must be recognised that Marty is well matched to that low grade stew.:o
    These never get a chance on the mainstream stations and this is what people play at home when they get a chance to themselves. :)
    I dont think they do though. Most listen to worthless bubblegum pop music. Some listen to classical music. At the bottom of the barrel are a very small minority of the people I guess you are referring to. :)

Gosh - some people are grumpy!
    Well they probably had to listen to the programme. :)
    this is what people play at home when they get a chance to themselves. :)
    Hardly. I was listening to Future Sound of London, Bach, Telemann, Thomas Dolby, Mike Oldfield, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Vangelis, Charpentier and Spyro Gyra.

Regards...jmcc

Almaviva wrote: »
    I dont think they do though. Most listen to worthless bubblegum pop music. Some listen to classical music. At the bottom of the barrel are a very small minority of the people I guess you are referring to. :)
    There are basically two kinds of people when it comes to Classical: those who listen to music because they like it and those who listen to it because they think that they should.

LyricFM used to have a good reputation but with the addition of RTE rejects, it has gone downhill. It is like the management is intent on turning into a dumping ground for people who just can't cut it on 2FM or RTE1. I suppose that I'm not exactly the average LyricFM fan but then I just listen to music - I dislike DJs interrupting music.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Well they probably had to listen to the programme. :)

Hardly. I was listening to Future Sound of London, Bach, Telemann, Thomas Dolby, Mike Oldfield, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Vangelis, Charpentier and Spyro Gyra.

Regards...jmcc

Well then you're listening to the same kind of music as Marty Whelan plays. I think he plays all of them that you list mainly. People sometimes think they are above Mart but he's street ahead often. And he gives us the anniversaries every day too and that teaches people a bit about the history of music. Not enough people know about this. Monday was something in Nelson Riddle's catalog for example and this wouldn't have been picked up on any other programme I think. Maybe John Kelly but I never get to hear that. Beethoven! Vivaldi! Marty is going to Verona to do Puccini and Vivaldi the Red Priest for the Christmas Special from Venice. Sryro Gyra I don't know but if he's any good Marty will have played it too you can be sure!

Well then you're listening to the same kind of music as Marty Whelan plays. I think he plays all of them that you list mainly.
    Somehow I don't think that he would play The Future Sound Of London. And Charpentier is not a Richard Clayderman clone. Richard Clayderman is, if I am not mistaken, a pianist rather than a composer. I don't think that I've ever heard Spyro Gyra on LyricFM. (It is Jazz Fusion.)
    People sometimes think they are above Mart but he's street ahead often. And he gives us the anniversaries every day too and that teaches people a bit about the history of music.
    The public service aspect of LyricFM's remit? :)
    Not enough people know about this. Monday was something in Nelson Riddle's catalog for example and this wouldn't have been picked up on any other programme I think.
    Well himself and Gay Byrne might have been into that kind of music when it was popular.
    Maybe John Kelly but I never get to hear that.
    Kelly's programme is one of the most truly interesting on LyricFM because of the range of music.

That list of composers and groups would just be a random playlist. I can sometimes listen to hours of Vivaldi or a particular composer or group. As I said, I'm not the average LyricFM fan.
    Beethoven!
    Yes but not quite the 'Greatest Hits' versions.
    Vivaldi!
    Excellent music for computer programming and theoretical work.
    Marty is going to Verona to do Puccini and Vivaldi the Red Priest for the Christmas Special from Venice.
    Does he know that they are both dead? That might frustrate his plans to interview them for his show.
    Sryro Gyra I don't know but if he's any good Marty will have played it too you can be sure!
    Perhaps you'd be better off listening to music rather than to Marty. :)

Forgive me for asking but you do know the difference between a composer and a musician or singer?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Can anyone remember the joke Marty told around 9.25 this morning? He was chatting with Rebecca about the wedding she's going to tomorrow. It's not her own because she was married to her South African pilot a while back but it's a friend's wedding. She had a good one about the men in Milan not fancying her because she is dark and leaving her bottom unpinched. Someone else is doing the Roadshow in the morning maybe the girl they had on Liz Nolan's show this evening. Ciara maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement