Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 41: Easy Everyday Bread

• 17-10-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I was a bread-making disaster for years. I've thrown out more unrisen dough and inedible loaves than I care to remember and I could not figure out where I was going wrong. Then a couple of weeks ago I took a cooking class that had a bread-making element. I learned this recipe and it was like a light switch had been turned on - suddenly I can make the most amazing bread and it's really, really easy! SO! Here is my offering for this week's Cooking Club - easy, everyday bread that's an absolute doddle to make up and tastes better than anything you can buy in the shops. And the taste is even better because you get the satisfaction of having made it with your own hands!

I know a lot of people are put off making their own bread because it seems like such a time-consuming thing, and granted this recipe does take a few hours from start to finish. But about 90% of that time is spent waiting for the dough to rise, or rise again, or cook, so it's not actually strenuous. If you're going to be in the house anyway - (and apparently we're due a month's worth of rain this weekend alone, so being stuck indoors seems likely) - give it a bash!

Ingredients (for 2 1lb loaves)

700g strong flour (I use this one)
    20g yeast
    2tsps salt
    15g granulated sugar
    25g butter
    Water

Method:

Step 1: Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.

Step 2: Pour 150ml of boiling water into a jug. Add in the sugar and butter. Stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Then add 150ml cold water to the jug.

Step 3: Pour 150ml lukewarm water into a different jug. Add the yeast and stir until it has dissolved / turned into a kinda pasty texture.

Step 4: Add the contents of the yeast jug to the butter/sugar jug and stir to mix. Pour this liquid into the flour.

Step 5: Mix with your hands to form a ball of dough. Turn out on to a very well floured surface.

Step 6: Wash your hands! You'll need to get off the doughy gunk from mixing or you'll never get the kneading done property. Flour your now-clean hands.

Step 7: Kneading begins. Push the dough away from you with the heels of your hands, then fold it back in on itself. If you hit a sticky bit of dough, flour it. If you get sticky dough on your hands, flour them. Flour the surface constantly. It takes a long time (about 8 or 10 minutes of kneading by my count) before the dough properly becomes springy and elastic, so stick with it, even if your arms are burning!

Step 8: Shape the dough into a ball and pop it into a large floured bowl (biggest you have, it's going to rise a lot). Cover the bowl tightly with three or four layers of clingfilm - you want it to be airtight. Pop the bowl in a warm place for an hour to let the dough double in size. While you're waiting, line two 1lb loaf tins with grease-proof paper.

After an hour, your dough will have gone from this:

bread1.jpg

To this:

bread2.jpg

Step 9: Roll the dough out on to a floured surface. Give it a quick knead to knock it back, then divide the dough in half (kitchen scales comes in handy here). To divide it, cut it cleanly with a sharp knife. Pop one half back in the bowl while you work on the first loaf.

Step 10: Now we're gonna make it into a pretty loaf shape! Divide the piece of dough into three equal parts. Roll each of these pieces into a smooth ball and line them up in one loaf tin. Repeat with the other half-ball of dough and tin. It should look like this:

bread3.jpg

Step 11: Preheat the oven to 230C. Cover the loaf tins loosely with a damp cloth and return to your warm place until the dough has risen up nicely. (About 30-40 minutes or so). It should now look like this:

Bread4.jpg

Step 12: Remove the cloth and put the loaf tins straight into the oven. After about 35 minutes you will have beautiful loaves of bread! To check they're done, remove the loaf from the tin and give it a tap on the base - if it makes a hollow sound, it's done.

Bread5.jpg

Step 13: Cool the loaves on a wire rack. Then slice, smother in butter and strawberry jam, and pat yourself on the back!

Some notes:

If you want to make a wholemeal version of these, I find a ratio of 450g strong flour to 250g coarse stoneground wholemeal flour works well.

If you don't have loaf tins, line two flat trays with greaseproof and just shape the two half balls of dough into rounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gravity defying bread! :D

Looks yummy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'll definitely make this thanks, it looks really good.
    I put my bread machine away a while ago and have been meaning to make some nice bread by hand.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Bookmarked! Thanks for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You must be a mind-reader. I was playing around with bread recipes yesterday, unsuccessfully I might add, so this couldn't have come at a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bread5.jpg

* sings * "Spider-bread, Spider-bread..."

Great recipe TP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Is my bread pic appearing upside down? I'm so confused by the gravity-defying-spider-breading-comments!? Looks fine to me! :confused::o

Yeah, it is upside down. :)
    Did you upload from an iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Not upside down on mobile.

Yeah, it is upside down. :)
    Did you upload from an iPad?

No, but I took it on my phone and it appeared upside down when I transferred it to my computer so I 'righted' it. Or not, it seems!
    Moody_mona wrote: »
    Not upside down on mobile.

Yay! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not upside down on Firefox/Linux.

I dunno, maybe THB has had a Swiss beer or two too many and is standing on his head. Again.

• Advertisement

Mea culpa. It is because I am viewing it on an iPad. It is fine on my phone. :o

And I'm on the hot whiskeys today, Tom. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Mea culpa. It is because I am viewing it on an iPad. It is fine on my phone. :o

And I'm on the hot whiskeys today, Tom. ;)

Its not just you, it's upside down for me as well, and I'm sober(ish)

It looks deadly either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

@ TeletextPear....major Cooking Club envy! That bread looks divine, well done!

Loire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mr. Dizzy made this today and it's so nice! We'll definitely make it again, and again :)
    (I really need to buy a second loaf tin, one was made in a long narrow glass dish)

fy3dwy.jpg

Mr. Dizzy made this today and it's so nice! We'll definitely make it again, and again :)

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Looking forward to trying this. I have also struggled to get a consistently good white bread recipe.

One question, has anyone tried this using fresh yeast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭EITS

Tried this for the first time (ever trying to make bread).. Now to just wait for it to cool :p
    20141031_212016.jpg

EITS wrote: »
    Tried this for the first time (ever trying to make bread).. Now to just wait for it to cool :p
    20141031_212016.jpg

Looks great!

Is this recipe for fresh yeast or dried / fast action yeast? The quantity seems like it is for fresh yeast?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Is this recipe for fresh yeast or dried / fast action yeast? The quantity seems like it is for fresh yeast?

I used dried fast action

• Advertisement

Thanks, my packed of dried yeast said 1.5tsp per 500g flour so I went with 2.5 tsp for the 700g. So fingers crossed. I am quite successful with normal brown bread but inconsistent with my white bread and have mostly relied on the breadmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Made the wholemeal version of this last night, it was very nice. Even better toasted this morning :D

Worked out great for me also, hope to make it again this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Does anyone know the result if I used corn flour?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Corn flour doesn't have gluten so you couldn't just sub it in. Gluten is a key factor in bread rising and maintaining its shape, so if you used corn flour, I'd expect a heavy, flat, dense result - basically the complete opposite of the light, fluffy, chewy texture strong flour would produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Worked out fantastic for me (if a bit on the dark side, I haven't quite calibrated this new oven yet!) It's lovely bread, great toasted or with a bit of butter and jam. This is definitely making it into my regular rotation!

Advertisement