Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pokemon Silver: Functional Team

Options
  • 01-09-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭

Ok guys a long one, i played and loved Pokemon R/B/Y to death, i only ever watched the first 2 seasons of the show and refused to believe there were more than 151 pokemon.

Until 2 days ago when after completing R/B/Y for the 1000th time i said i'd give Gold a go. I'm in the Kanto region now and i've enjoyed it so far, still getting used to the new (although old now) Pokemon and i'm not happy with my team even though it's getting the job done.

Basically when i start R/B/Y i have my 6 pokemon mapped out and the perfect time for catching them to use HM's etc and i never fight with a pokemon that will not be part of my 6. E.G. Bulbasuar to start, destroy brock and misty use voltorb for flash but immediately release him, bulb knows cut, pick up abra, pick up Staryu (Surf) fly is not a necessity, pick up a Tauros in Safari (Strength) i'd also pick up growlithe for my fire needs and Pikachu very early for my thunder needs. That 6 i would stick with for entirety.

Bulbasaur starter, Pickachu in forest, abra in cerulean, growlithe in celadon,staryu in fushia and tauros in safari.

Could anybody here give me a similar list for when i start Silver so that i'm not so hesitant of what pokemon to capture and im not struggling to find pokemon who can use the HM's. It's a big ask and this was a long read so thanks to anyone in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Generally speaking, my team for Gold was: Cyndaquil starter, I'd pick up a Bellsprout en route to the first gym to trade for the Onix there should I need it for the gym battle against the birds. Depending on the time, I'd try to get a Gastly in Bellsprout tower too (only shows up at night).

After Violet City, I'd grab a Mareep that'd last on the team for a good while. I might pick up and drop a few pokemon between the second and third gyms, and there was a person in Goldenrod that'd trade either a Drowzee or Abra (I forget which) for a Machop that was quite handy for the third gym. In Ilex forest, there's a guy that gave you the TM for headbutt in gen 2, or just taught your pokemon the move in gen 4, and then I'd be doing my best to get a Heracross.

I'd always get a Nidoran male north of the city, cause I freaking loved Nidoking, and if you had your mother saving money at some stage she'd buy a Moon Stone for you. I'd never really be adding stuff to my team from there unless I needed to catch something for HMs, so the team would be fairly static from the fourth to the seventh gyms. At the seventh, I'd catch the Gyarados from the storyline, and if there was space in my team it'd be added to it.

Finally, depending on my needs I'd get a Dratini in Blackthorn to round it out, and I'd have the Ho-oh from the story too.

So, my final team would be looking like Typhlosion, Nidoking, Heracross, Ho-oh, and the final two could be any combination of Ampharos, Gyarados, Dragonite, or just something that might have taken my fancy on the way through. Really, it's hard to give a list like you are on about, the playthrough will be different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Damn you know that game well, My team isn't too far off the one you suggested, Typhlosion,Ho-oh,Heracross,Tauros,Graveler and Staryu. Heracross has been really poor but i like the look of him ha, Tauros is solid,graveler is ok and Staryu seems to suffer a bit in this one, especially with the fact that i still can't find a waterstone!

The advice is great man thanks a mill, but i hate using stopgap's such as Machop for 3rd gym etc, i can beat all gyms with Typloshion really and beat the elite four only using Ho-oh and like 30 Hyper potions. Basically i was wondering if there are any of the new pokemon worth picking up early on but from your advice there doesn't seem to be any!

Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Heracross has a pretty great physical attack stat, so with some good moves it can wreck stuff.

There's one "new" one that's pretty good, Larvitar that evolves into Tyranitar, but you can't catch one of those until after you beat all the gyms from Kanto. There's also a few others I'd like, but to get them you'd need to trade. Scizor would be one that stands out to me, and Kingdra is a solid one too.

Advertisement