Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best English Rapper Ever!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I know half the world is listening to her. My point is, she's still sh*te, and in the face of someone like Lauryn Hill, she hasn't a leg to stand on. You're saying that high record sales are indicative of who the best rappers are. I'm using Minaj as an example to disprove your point, and you've practically agreed with me. Her sales don't make her the best because there are still other female rappers who are better but don't sell as much.

Yes i know my point is that thats your opinion and you can't be the opinion of everybody... I know it don't matter to me who is the best because i have my favorite and thats fine with me, but how do you get to who is the best rather then everybody opinions...

If you look at the poll dizzie and skinner are running away with it

In the poll who has sold the most records??? Dizzie Rascal & The Streets:D

Rakim and Krs-One have sold very little and would be in a lot of peoples top10 or 5 even.

Rakin and Krs-one were there at the start, if they were in our decade they would have sold millions... There just wasn't the audience in there time... Every rapper from the 90's and 00's would have them in there top ten but to be honest i would not have them in my top ten i have only listened to them a handful of time because of my age...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Rakin and Krs-one were there at the start, if they were in our decade they would have sold millions... There just wasn't the audience in there time... Every rapper from the 90's and 00's would have them in there top ten but to be honest i would not have them in my top ten i have only listened to them a handful of time because of my age...

You're probably older than a few of the people here, age literally has nothing to do with taste.

And Rakim would be in my top 5, along with cube who's been rapping since the mid 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

not sure if he's been mentioned yet but what about Lowkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Rakim and Krs-One were not quite there at the start and anyway they are still going.

Going stronger than most rappers out now too. Your age? What age are you? It is not like they are discussing 60-80's in their lyrics….

Stronger but weak enough sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What has age got to do with it? We live in a world where any music you want to listen to is available with the click of a button. It makes no difference if you're 20 or 60, there's nothing stopping you from listening to whatever you want. Age does not have to reflect taste. You're older than me, and I listen to older rappers a lot more than newer ones.

Great response to the vote... Skinner still in front thats very interesting... Happy to see kano with another vote and akala for that matter... Wiley and Dizzie neck and neck, some of the women getting there votes in i'd say... My bets are on skinner winning it but i think Dizzie will run him close ...

What ye think?:D

Well I voted Akala, only because there was no Scroobius Pip.

Well I voted Akala, only because there was no Scroobius Pip.

Thats a good vote, serious rapper... loved "freedom lasso"... i heard on the net somewhere that he was in studio with mark ronson last year... Don't know what happened about that???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Really should have been named before now..:(

Jehst...

Klashnekoff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

not sure if he's been mentioned yet but what about Lowkey?

Akala out of that list , Blak twang very good

can't believe sh1t like Dappy can make the list but

lowkey (uk version of immortal Technique)
    Klashnekoff
    London Posse

baddebt wrote: »
    Akala out of that list , Blak twang very good

can't believe sh1t like Dappy can make the list but

lowkey (uk version of immortal Technique)
    Klashnekoff
    London Posse

Akala and kano my favorite for the list... sorry klashnekoff isn't in there but i didn't think of him and when researching not many mentions of him... The same with the london posse but i was trying to keep in from 2000- 2012...

That would explain the lack of Jehst and Klas but why is Scroobius Pip not on the list?

That would explain the lack of Jehst and Klas but why is Scroobius Pip not on the list?

Conor i would put him up in an instant, but i can't change it... sorry!!!!:o

Alright, he definitely deserves to be up there above half of them.

Alright, he definitely deserves to be up there above half of them.

I don't doubt that but unfortunately i can't go back and edit the poll... :D

Do ye not think sway should be getting a few votes???? Theres no doubting his rapping skill!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Do ye not think sway should be getting a few votes???? Theres no doubting his rapping skill!!!

very talented rapper, use to be a fan.

1 of my fav uk songs.

true blue whoo too cool

But besides that he seems to be good.

Whys he not getting votes then???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Scroobius Pip is more spoken word than rap. I'd nearly lump Mike Skinner into that category as well.

I'd be inclined to say Dizzee Rascal is the best but he's kind of given up saying anything worthwhile since he went on the commercial dance tip so I'm going to opt for Wiley. Not only is he an animal rapper who makes a bajillion tunes (check his Zip Files series) in every conceivable style he's also responsible for inventing much of the grime production sound that gives their emcee's a totally different style to their american counterparts.

Irish hip hop does have artists who have a unique sound. Not enough of them but they do exist. It'll continue to develop.

Sway's not getting votes because his first mixtape or two were great but he's kind of fallen off since. Not that he can't rap extremely well but his songs just aren't good. He made some pretty horrendous attempts at making dance crossover hits as well.

Scroobius Pip is more spoken word than rap. I'd nearly lump Mike Skinner into that category as well.

I'd be inclined to say Dizzee Rascal is the best but he's kind of given up saying anything worthwhile since he went on the commercial dance tip so I'm going to opt for Wiley. Not only is he an animal rapper who makes a bajillion tunes (check his Zip Files series) in every conceivable style he's also responsible for inventing much of the grime production sound that gives their emcee's a totally different style to their american counterparts.

Irish hip hop does have artists who have a unique sound. Not enough of them but they do exist. It'll continue to develop.

Sway's not getting votes because his first mixtape or two were great but he's kind of fallen off since. Not that he can't rap extremely well but his songs just aren't good. He made some pretty horrendous attempts at making dance crossover hits as well.

Well said!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Lowkey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Skinnyman, wiley and ghetto are all sick as **** in their own way. Wiley is a very talented man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    I know it sounds ignorant but I can't stand the vast majority of British HH because of the accent. Don't care if the future Nas is on the mic. Also hate the way a lot of them primarily use dubstep for their beats to reach wider audiences. Not into the whole grime scene either.
    I used to be the same but grime has really grown on me. Some real talent on the other side of the water.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I used to be the same but grime has really grown on me. Some real talent on the other side of the water.

This is very true... The last ten years for me has been the best for english rap music, it has taken on a new form... It is no longer underground, its got the market share in england... Ghetts should be getting a few votes but his not well known in my opinion cause his style too aggressive but i think his serious!!!

Very good to see Skinnyman get off the mark as i believe his album council estate of mind would be an influential album to all english artists...

Also Wiley is starting to run clear of everybody else which is true to his staying power within english rap music... But Mike skinner still ahead....

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

No braintax sorry!!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I can't understand how Mike Skinner is getting so many votes. His first two albums were good but he followed them up with a string of absolute clunkers. I think the more you listen to him his technical limitations start to show. He records everything drunk. Rhymes in a cockney accent but he's from Birmingham. He's definitely had his moments but he's put out way too much cack to be considered the best.

• Advertisement

I can't understand how Mike Skinner is getting so many votes. His first two albums were good but he followed them up with a string of absolute clunkers. I think the more you listen to him his technical limitations start to show. He records everything drunk. Rhymes in a cockney accent but he's from Birmingham. He's definitely had his moments but he's put out way too much cack to be considered the best.

I agree with you that his first two albums where his best but i also think "Computers and Blues was a very good album.... "Never went to church" from "The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living album was one of his best songs and i still believe that a greatest hits album will be a good selection of songs.

I just read his book and the funny thing i noticed about his music career is that his best album "Original Pirate Material was reorded using Fruity Loops and when he got signed he started using Logic. I think he had to keep to the streets style but tried to complicate it and the whole streets mantra was a young geezer from london, smoking spliffs and taking drugs but also living. I think mike skinner grew outta the streets and thats why people started not to like what he was trying to do. The Streets was recorded in his box room in his rented flat it was this simplicity that made the streets who the were, a cult classic.... Complicating it made it not simple... Thats just my opinion, i don't think anyone could keep up the streets for as long as he did...

Advertisement