Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

its overpriced and from reading around on other forums people are reporting that it has problems holding onto the phone causing it to slide off?

Aw, that will be a pain. I used to have that problem a few years ago when charging my Palm Pre on the Touchstone. I used to place a business card between the phone and the charger, which would stop it sliding off.

I think it was the heat during charging that caused problems· It got to the point that I just gave up and went back to using a cable. It was a lot slower charging wirelessly, so that didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Is it possible to update to 4.2.2 manually? I really like the sound of extra battery life. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

iggy wrote: »
    Can confirm this worked.
    Got notification of update. Then I downloaded it.
    Before I pressed install I opened OTA root keeper and pressed
    ' temp un root'
    Then installed the 4.2.2 update .
    When reboots open OTA root keeper and press restore root.

Only got the update pushed to me last night(didn't want to force it) and confirm that the above works a treat.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

I was on stock and love the pure google phone. I tested CM10 and now I wouldn't go back to stock. The tweaks done are deadly well worth a look.
    Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

markad1 wrote: »
    I was on stock and love the pure google phone. I tested CM10 and now I wouldn't go back to stock. The tweaks done are deadly well worth a look.
    Mark.

I'm still using stock, don't really have the time or inclination to mess around with rooting/roms etc. Out of interest though what are the main advantages for you using CM10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

I like the pull down shortcut. If I pull down on the right I get tiles...If I pull down on the left I get buttons.

I also like you can clear all open windows with the press of one button, on stock you swipe each window off screen.

You can change the number of icons and rows you can have on each screen.

I have rom manager installed and have stock and CM10 back up. I can switch between them with the click of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Only got the update pushed to me last night(didn't want to force it) and confirm that the above works a treat.

Cheers!

Are u getting a FC on the 'Security' tab in settings?
    If u are do this
    Open a Terminal Emulator (If neccessary get it from Play Store for free)
    type "su" and answer permission dialog from SuperSU or SuperUser
    type "mount -o rw,remount /system" exactly as stated here including the spaces -> followed by enter
    type "cd /vendor/firmware/keymaster" -> followed by enter
    type "chmod 0644 *" -> followed by enter
    Reboot and it Should work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

markad1 wrote: »
    I like the pull down shortcut.

You can change the number of icons and rows you can have on each screen.

I use Apex on stock unrooted to get these.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

iggy wrote: »
    Are u getting a FC on the 'Security' tab in settings?
    If u are do this
    Open a Terminal Emulator (If neccessary get it from Play Store for free)
    type "su" and answer permission dialog from SuperSU or SuperUser
    type "mount -o rw,remount /system" exactly as stated here including the spaces -> followed by enter
    type "cd /vendor/firmware/keymaster" -> followed by enter
    type "chmod 0644 *" -> followed by enter
    Reboot and it Should work

Not getting a FC but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Any point in a screen protector/case other than protecting the glass back?

• Advertisement

Any point in a screen protector/case other than protecting the glass back?

Case is essential for protection in my opinion. In 15 years of using phones this is the first time I've used a case on a phone. Haven't bothered with a screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Theres a couple of recommended cases in this thread. How are they holding up after a couple of weeks use?

Some of the case reviews seem to indicate that after a month some of the cases start to fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anybody got any kernel recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Case is essential for protection in my opinion. In 15 years of using phones this is the first time I've used a case on a phone..

How come? I haven't actually got mine yet, is the build quality bad in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Chinpool wrote: »
    Stick to stock with CM10.1 - no point in messing with CPU speeds and I/O Schedulers since it performs so well on it's own esp. with regards to battery life ;)

advertsfox wrote: »
    Stick to stock with CM10.1 - no point in messing with CPU speeds and I/O Schedulers since it performs so well on it's own esp. with regards to battery life ;)
    That's what I've been hearing alright.
    /wanders off to find other things to flash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Battery life i tested this before and after the update.

I did a full charge and let the phone die with just some phone and text and little checking on facebook on wireless and data.

Before update it lasted a day and a half, after update phone is at 35% after 2days and 22hours not a good test i know but good for idle times with little use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

howeryiz..

ive searched the interweb for answer but cant get a straight one the problem im having is the bleeeeedin instant upload pictures that are on me Google+ are showing up in my gallery despite me having the sync settings off well i think correctly off anyway.. i cant delete them like any other picture so is there a way to get them away completely..

i moved from a Motorola razr i to this nexus and they didnt show up on that i might have something set to sync i just dunno what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

francos

if only for the colour settings, stock colour settings are awful

moggser wrote: »
    howeryiz..

ive searched the interweb for answer but cant get a straight one the problem im having is the bleeeeedin instant upload pictures that are on me Google+ are showing up in my gallery despite me having the sync settings off well i think correctly off anyway.. i cant delete them like any other picture so is there a way to get them away completely..

i moved from a Motorola razr i to this nexus and they didnt show up on that i might have something set to sync i just dunno what it is
    Make sure Instant Upload is set to off in Google + settings and make sure Google Photos isn't selected in accounts. Clear your gallery data/cache and that should be the end of it

• Advertisement

How come? I haven't actually got mine yet, is the build quality bad in your opinion?

Not bad build quality just poor choice of materials such as glass back which can crack and a chrome surround which can scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I think I might avoid sticking the Ubuntu OS on it for the moment.

Nexus 4

In rare circumstances, the Nexus4 may get into a state where it may not boot at all after the battery is drained (even into recovery). If this happens, the only way to restore it is to disassemble the back of the phone and unplug/plug the battery connector.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes

The bold is their emphasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

Make sure Instant Upload is set to off in Google + settings and make sure Google Photos isn't selected in accounts. Clear your gallery data/cache and that should be the end of it

Damn straight that was the end of it cheers very much …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Found some reports online of low volume issues. How do people find listening to pocasts when out and about with this?

Its turning me off getting it at the moment, as im a bit of a podcast addict

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm getting the following error:
    Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

I've done a little reading online, appears I may have to factory reset. Has anyone had this issue and found an easier way around it?

Edit: Nevermind, did a bit of further googling and found a solution. Working now.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Found some reports online of low volume issues. How do people find listening to pocasts when out and about with this?

Its turning me off getting it at the moment, as im a bit of a podcast addict

Yeah volume is definitely not great. I find music fine but talking only podcasts are very hard to listen to, I've use Klipsch S4i earphones which block out most outside noise but even then I still play them at full volume. I've tried the free version of the volume+ app which helps a little too.

I must say though my previous phone the droid razr had crappy volume levels too so I think it's just an Android thing?

Cyrus wrote: »

francos

if only for the colour settings, stock colour settings are awful
    Went with fauxs. Corrected the colours and it looks miles better now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Went with fauxs. Corrected the colours and it looks miles better now
    Does changing kernels delete any data from the phone? I'm already rooted if that makes a difference.

EGriff wrote: »
    Does changing kernels delete any data from the phone? I'm already rooted if that makes a difference.
    Nope. Just erase the cache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Anybody have a problem with the volume buttons.
    They don't work on my phone. Is there a setting somewhere that maybe disables them?

Advertisement