Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help exercising elderly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hi there,

My grandmother finds it difficult to exercise standing up, but has always been a keen fitness person. How do I help her to not miss the health benefits of exercise?

Swimming?

Or maybe walking in a pool using a weighted belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

strenght&strenght sports, might be better posted on health&fitness. or give give her a feed of monster, works for me when i dont feel like training ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

TBH honest there is only one good form of exercise you can do lying down, I don't know it will be embarrassing for you to suggest it to your grandmother.

You should ask an Occupational therapist or a Physiotherapist about it. I'd like to know why she can't exercise standing up. Why can't she stand up? joint pain? Vertigo? cardiac issues?

Very difficult to make any suggestions without knowing some of the details.

Is exercise bike possible? You can sit on that.
    A rower? You can sit in that.
    Yoga and pilates - without standing you can do some of the stretching and core exercises.
    Core exercises in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Have a look at some of the chair based exercises/aerobics on youtube or google them. I think you should be able to find some chair based yoga/pilates type exercise as well

But to be honest you will find it very hard to get her exercising on her own. Most elderly people attend physical activity classes or groups for the social aspect of it.

Your best option would probably be to investigate any nursing home or community centers which have classes for the elderly. Maybe see if she has any friends which are involved in them.

Also....does she want to exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Janet Hollander

There are many simple things you can do TOGETHER as you go through daily life to encourage more flexibility, strength, and mobility - all benefits of exercise. Exercise on the sly is still exercise. Try ankle circles, or writing your name in the air with your toe, when sitting and waiting - like at the doctor's office. Explore sitting position to encourage an upright spine - maybe use a wedge cushion - and then introduce looking in different directions, like out the window, behind you, even under the chair. Lift ordinary objects like a potato, a grapefruit, a handbag. Lots more ideas at chairmasterexercise.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement